In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

★★★★★ Review of Norwegian Wood by Lars Mytting

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Minnesota Marty, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Minnesota Marty

Minnesota Marty

Well, I finished the book about four weeks ago and just haven't taken the time to post this little review.
    Lars Mytting, the author, has a wonderful style of writing that i enjoy. In the Preface of the book we are introduced to the first of the people that make wood cutting, splitting and burning such a delightful way of life. So, if I would title my insignificant review it would be, "We are all Ottar's". Ottar is Myttings neighbor and he is just a stoic old Norwegian that has lived heating with wood his entire life and is not about to stop at his very old age, even though it becomes harder for him each year. And asking for help is simply not in the cards. Now in his old age Ottar no longer goes and harvests his own wood he purchases a large cut load that he needs to split and stack. He, of course, takes delivery of wood in the early spring when wood is cheap. Plus, it gives him a chance to split it for the two next winters heat.
    We also meet the bachelor farmer, Arne Fjeld. Who shows us the proper way to prune a forest to be able to harvest the best firewood. Not for him, but for the next generation of wood burners.
    Then we meet the stacking wood sculpture of Ole' and Zofia Kjelling. It is a sculpture of the artist Rossini.
    Next, we meet Ole' Haugen who has stacking wood in a wood shed down to a science. I would refer to Ole' Haugen as the architect of the South wind woodshed to maximize air/wind drying of wood for proper burning moisture content.
    We meet others that help explain other principles of wood cutting, splitting and stacking. Then we are explained the history of the saw, "the powered saw" and of course the splitting ax and all the ax manufacturers that are located in Norway, Sweden and Finland. Mytting never gets into the "drama" of which is better because as he says, each has their own benefits.
    So, needless to say, the book that the wonderful "Norwegian" that I am married to, gave me is a gem to us that delight in Wood cutting. You will learn somethings from this book, I guarantee it. This book will also confirm much of what you already know. But, it will help you feel better about life in general.
    Oh, the book ends with a another visit with Ottar and when you read it you will understand why I said the title of this review is: We are all Ottar's.

2. DutchFire

DutchFire

Nice review Marty! Just got this book as a present from my parents. I'm now in the middle of it and really enjoy it. Although I've read a lot about felling, bucking, splitting and so alreasy it is still a very nice read. Especially the focus on the history of burning wood and the local stories are a good read when your stove is humming away. So in my opinion it is really an excellent present for firewood enthousiasts.

3. MaineMtnMan

MaineMtnMan

Had anyone read the activity book that goes with it?

4. Murphy681

Murphy681

Great review. You nailed it for cliff notes. I absolutely love this book. It should be a required reading of all members. One minor correction. Arne Fjeld was not a bachelor, that was the previous land owner and his mother. Arne's wife thought he was crazy because he would get up at the crack of dawn to shake snow off of his trees.

metalcuttr likes this.