In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Property Tax

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by fox9988, May 22, 2015.

1. fox9988

fox9988

This came up again in the chicken thread. Vent away. I'm shocked at the price of PT people pay. I pay less than a grand/year on 10 acres, a 3 y/o house, 3 vehicles, 2 boats, 1 motorcycle, timber, several barns and some other junk. I didn't know how good I had it until I got to reading here. Shocking o_O

2. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

Consider yourself extremely lucky. I don't have half the things on your list and I pay high tax rates for the things the town I live in needs. New schools, a new police station, we just repaved some streets in town and the senior center was just built a year ago.

3. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

6K a year...No sidewalks, no sewers, poor snow removal & volunteer Fire Department!! I don't get it!!

4. schlot

schlot

6k?? Tell me it's a mansion!

Property taxes on our house is well short of 1k. No taxes of vehicles....except yearly license plates cost of course.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  5. lukem

lukem

About 700 a year all in on 3 acres and a modest house. No personal property taxes here.

6. schlot

schlot

We have those rates and we have a newer county jail, newer fire station, and the hospital and the school are building expansions.

7. chris

chris

Well don't move to WI about the 3 highest taxed( combined ) state around. With Oregon going to a miles driven tax I can see that showing up here real quick. City of Milwaukee all ready picked up on the wheel tax. I the fifties you list all the taxes on two hands and maybe have a finger or two left over. Now you need two three of those buddhist statues , the ones with 8 arms and you would still run out of fingers and toes to count them all on.

metalcuttr, wildwest, fox9988 and 2 others like this.
  8. fox9988

fox9988

I do, now.
    The price I pay for low taxes: I'm many miles from a sidewalk, a school, a police station, a library, etc. 4 miles from the two closest volunteer fire stations. Almost everyone in my area, including me, drive an hour to work.
    Truth be told, I'd like to be further from civilization than I am. Its worth the drive to me.

metalcuttr, T-Stew, basod and 6 others like this.
  9. yooperdave

yooperdave

Miles driven tax? What the heck is that about?? Personal property tax? You kidding me? Don't we already pay taxes when we buy the personal property?..And continue to pay tax every year in the form of registration?

The taxes on the cottage actually dropped (slightly) the last year....must be winding up for something really big!

10. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Far from a mansion...2,600 sq ft on 9.5 acres with a barn.

metalcuttr and wildwest like this.
  11. Norky

Norky

I pay $1700 per year on a 1000 sq ft ranch w/garage, 2 car detached and 1 car detached on 3 acres. The price has been inching up a little each year since we've lived here. I don't like it, but I can live with it, especially after seeing what some of you pay. I'm in the county, with no sewage or sidewalks and my road is state maintained, so I'd imagine the PTs are higher nearer to the city. The police in a town down the road picked up jurisdiction of our area a few years back, so that might be a reason our taxes have risen.
    The taxes I have a gripe about are the license plate fees. They charge according to the value of your car. I believe the first license fee for the wife's new car back in 2012 was around $900. Renewed them last month and it's down to $250, which still sucks. So they basically punish you for buying a new vehicle.

metalcuttr, Deacon and wildwest like this.
  12. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Our county want to reassess the whole county. You know what their plan is already. And there is nothing your going to do about it.
    The county to our south just did the same thing. The residents were up in arms. In the end...they just had to pay up, even when the assessments seemed way high

13. fox9988

fox9988

Oh yeah. Too bad BrianK isn't a proctologist, your gonna need one.

metalcuttr, wildwest, schlot and 2 others like this.
  14. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Our house is worth around 200k, small raised ranch with 2 car attached garage on 22 acres and we pay around $4500.

15. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

From the Altoona Mirror newspaper

When should reassessment start?
    Porterfield, who has seen controversy and political fallout because of reassessment, said he would be hard-pressed to recommend commissioners initiate reassessment during an election year .

It looks like they will start this year ...right after the elections of coarse
    Pa has a 30 mil cap. We are at 27.4 now. Should be easy to calculate our next rate.
    They have already figured the tax increases into their budget and are preparing now for the reassessment law suits in 2017.
    And they will still be over budget every year just like they are now,:hair:
    Oh and the commissioner's pay is on track with other class 4 counties...except that we are a class 5 county...Yea 'nuff said

16. lukem

lukem

State income tax is .033

My county tax is .0245

Sales tax .07

metalcuttr, fox9988 and wildwest like this.
  17. BrianK

BrianK

It seems that I do deal with assholes quite frequently, but fortunately not on a professional basis.

Speaking of them and their tax rates I have some patients here who have lived in the same house since the 1950s/1960s. They paid them off long ago but can no longer afford the property taxes, which are now more than their mortgage payments ever were.

These elderly are on fixed incomes and have to sell their homesteads where they've lived for decades because of these outrageous property taxes.

Wars have been fought over less.

18. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

$1K, no WATER, sewer, sidewalks, road is not maintained for dragging nor snow, VFD, 1 acre.

metalcuttr likes this.
  19. fox9988

fox9988

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:. I can't figure for the life of me, why someone would choose THAT profession :loco: :crazy:o_O:picard:. Must be a lotta $ in it. I couldn't deal with all the Aholes.

Pitiful and pathetic at the same time, to have to relocate from your home after a lifetime of hard work. :( Wars definitely have been fought for a less just cause. :confused:

metalcuttr, BrianK and wildwest like this.
  20. Norky

Norky

Seniors here get a break on PTs. The year before we bought the house, the taxes were $864. Our first year we paid $1432.

fox9988 and wildwest like this.