In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Project of the day. What ch'a buildin' ?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by blacksmithden, Oct 22, 2017.

1. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

Todays project was to make a set of bucking dogs to replace the missing ones on my Stihl 051 project saw. Made 2 of these.

[​IMG]

eatonpcat, fuelrod, Z-man and 9 others like this.
  2. walt

walt

Look in good

Screwloose, Hammy, blacksmith and 5 others like this.
  3. Horkn

Horkn

Nice. Did you just cut triangles and weldn grind them to the "mount" part?

Hammy, blacksmith and HDRock like this.
  4. justdraftn

justdraftn

Got a good start on a paracord dog collar.
    Paracord is great physical therapy for hand /forearm rehab.
    A week ago I did not have the strength in my fingers/wrists to do this,
    so pretty pleased w/the healing process. I'll see you on the road. ......soon.

IMG_7099.JPG

5. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

Yes. I made them out of pieces of 1/4" thick scrap metal I have laying around. It took me an hour or so to make and fit the mount parts to the saw. The triangles were a bit more work, as I don't have a vertical band saw. I just cut squares first, and then milled them on my knee mill to the right size and the angles I wanted. I actually took my time, and did the proper prep and setup on the welder this time. LOL. I'm pretty sure the mounting ears will break off the saw before the dogs will break. The one saving thing....3 of the triangles are the same size, so I needed 6 of them. I just welded 6 pieces of square 1/4" together on 4 sides, and milled them all at once. The top and second from the bottom are different sizes and angles...did them 2 at a time.

6. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I got surgery today, but after a few days in the hospital I plan to rebuild the hydraulic track adjusters on my bulldozer tracks. The Dr said I cannot log as it might rip the stitches out of my throat, so I might as well get my dozer fixed up while I am waiting for my logging days to start.

I got new tracks on it so I cannot collapse my track adjusters and pull my tracks ahead and still have room to pull my track adjusters out. That would mean splitting the tracks, but sadly mine has a master pin so this guy is NOT pounding pins all day! I found the easiest way is to take a grinder with a cut off wheel and cut the rear portion of the piston thereby giving me enough room to remove the track adjuster. Upon installation I will just weld up the piston shaft. It sounds stupid, but it turns a 2 day job into a 4 hour job. With the exception of a weld underneath a mud guard, it is unnoticeable.

I have been fighting with these track adjusters for 2 years so I am eager to get them fixed right!

7. Midwinter

Midwinter

Good luck with your recovery! And with your recovery project, which sounds like anyone else's big hairy job!

Screwloose and blacksmith like this.
  8. Midwinter

Midwinter

Orange & black, for H-ween! I'm sure you'll be back to finding boxes in wood before long.

Screwloose, blacksmith and justdraftn like this.
  9. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

Good lord man....Im pretty sure the doc would have added dozer repair to the "do not" list had they known. Be careful. I know a fellow who re-broke his collar bone after 2 weeks of it healing and its never been the same since. Hope everything heals up ok.

Screwloose and blacksmith like this.
  10. justdraftn

justdraftn

As I started putting by basement shop together, I, of course, bought the toys before
    I had a real place to put them. Example, my belt/disk sander and oscillating
    spindle sander. I revived an old desk for temporary use.

So, finally in semi retirement, I have time to do it right. Inspired by the old oak
    fire wood I got w/the pinned mortise/tenion joints, I decided to build this
    table w/out any metal. No nails or screws.....other than the ones to mount the wheels.
    Edge joints are doweled and the frame joints are pinned lap joints.
    Still needs a drawer for sander stuff and another shelf on the bottom for belts.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

Attached Files:

• 13.JPG
      13.JPG
      File size:
      452.6 KB
      Views:
    eatonpcat and Midwinter like this.
  11. justdraftn

justdraftn

more pics.

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

eatonpcat, fuelrod, Midwinter and 2 others like this.
  12. Screwloose

Screwloose

IMG_20180110_183136025.jpg well I sharpened all the countersinks...4 hours worth.. yippie.