In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Primitive weapons

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by stihl sawing, Aug 12, 2017.

1. blacktail

blacktail

I got a multiseason deer tag last year. It lets you hunt archery, muzzleloader, and modern firearm. I'm not into archery and don't want to dedicate the time to get into it. But I bought a Traditions NW Pursuit for ML season. ML season is 8 days in early october, then something like 3 weeks in Nov-Dec.
    I got another multiseason tag this year.
    IMG_20160517_163621054.jpg

2. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

Nice, ya'll have a long ML season, we have 9 days in Oct. and three days in Dec.

J. Dirt likes this.
  3. blacktail

blacktail

The long late ML season isn't open everywhere, but one of the units near me is open for it.

J. Dirt and stihl sawing like this.
  4. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

Bought a couple more pounds of black powder today, got both horns filled and a few pounds left over. even got an old can of 4f for priming flintlock pans.

SANY3309.JPG

J. Dirt and saskwoodburner like this.
  5. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

The brown truck run yesterday and dropped a CVA optima pistol and 36 cal Uberti old army off. Took the CVA out and shot this morning, Got it sighted in at 50 yards with 70 grains and a 230 grain speer gold dot bullet. Also took the optima rifle out and it's still on target.

SANY3310.JPG SANY3311.JPG SANY3319.JPG SANY3317.JPG

6. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

Gonna have to do something about the sights on this one, they are not adj, except filing down front sight and it will move over some. won't look good but it will slide. by the time I figured out where to hold the sight to hit center(top right corner) I was holding it way to right and about six inches high. 36 cal uberti

SANY3323.JPG SANY3325.JPG SANY3324.JPG

J. Dirt likes this.
  7. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

Last time I took this gun out I ran out of powder and was using rounds balls, switched to 180 grain cast bullets. last six shots at 60 yards.

SANY3328.JPG SANY3330.JPG SANY3332.JPG

8. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

stihl sawing youve got a nice collection of firearms right there!!
    I was just poking around the forum in search of some info on flintlocks. I want to get one in the worst way! I like the looks of the Kentucky style rifle, but also like a shorter Hawken. I’m kind of torn! I also like the idea of the kits I see where you finish the stock and assemble the rifle. Have you ever seen or built one of these?

stihl sawing likes this.
  9. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

I have never built one before, I'm too impatient to do it. also not talented enough, which some of the kits are pretty close to being finished. Flinters are a blast to shoot and if you can shoot them accurately, any gun is easy. Most have a tendancy to flinch from the flash in the pan. but if a flinter is loaded right there is very little hesitation between the pan and firing of the bullet.

J. Dirt and TurboDiesel like this.
  10. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Maybe this week I’ll have to do some serious looking! Any recommendations as to caliber or style?

stihl sawing likes this.
  11. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

Either 45 or 50 caliber, Are you going to hunt with it? either of those are good for deer sized game. The style is purely preferential. muzzleloaders used to be fairly priced, seems they are out of sight on prices now. especially the flinters that have wood stocks. they do have cheap models. but I have learned with the old smokepoles you get what you pay for. there were some really cheap made Italian and Spanish models years ago and they showed it. You can't go wrong with Thompson Center or Lyman. I would look for a used one first. lot of guys went to the inlines and want to sell the old style. might pick one up cheap. I have a TC flinter not pictured. left to right is a custom made by a local gun maker, Lyman great plains and a CVA Hawken. Sure wish you was close by, I'd let ya shoot em and see which one you want. Also you should do some research on barrel twist. some are made to shoot round balls.1-66 and some are made to shoot a heavy maxi ball and most of them have a 1-42 twist to be reasonably accurate with both. Thompson Center don't even sell the old style muzzleloaders anymore.

chainsaws 034.jpg

J. Dirt and Chaz like this.
  12. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Beautiful collection!! I’m thinking round ball in 50 cal. And definitely for deer! My dad has a t/c Hawken cap lock in .50 that I’ve killed deer with shooting round balls. I just rather have the flint.

stihl sawing likes this.
  13. XXL

XXL

J. Dirt likes this.
  14. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

Yeah on round ball for deer I wouldn't go below 50. If you go with the long barrel ones, try to find a 1-66 twist for roundball. might be difficult to find a used one. If money is no object and you want new, the lyman great plains like mine is hard to beat on quality. it has a 1-60 twist but they are not cheap now.

J. Dirt likes this.
  15. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

Yes, I bought it from a disgruntled guy who never took it out to shoot and expected it to shoot 500 yards. he sold the gun and scope and case and a bunch of accessories to me for 200 bucks. it wasn't even a year old. I didn't need it but couldn't pass on the price.

Chaz, J. Dirt and XXL like this.
  16. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

I killed a small hog with it this year.

Picture1028171904_2.jpg

Chaz, J. Dirt and XXL like this.
  17. XXL

XXL

I have the same gun. I had won a goose layout blind that i didn't want so I traded it for the CVA. It's been a good reliable gun so far. Only complaint would be the weight. With glass on top It's a heavy gun.

stihl sawing and J. Dirt like this.
  18. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

Here's ya one, I had two of these at one time, one was percussion and other flint. I'm shocked how much they have gone up in price. I gave 150 each years ago. they were good shooter but not as well made as some. but they were decent guns. the inlay was pretty good on them too. the lock was decent. traditions made some cheap crap back then along with their better guns.

ARMSLIST - For Sale: Traditions Pennsylvania Flintlock Rifle. Like New- never fired!

J. Dirt likes this.
  19. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

That’s what I’m looking for right there!!!

stihl sawing likes this.
  20. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

I will say the sights on those are not great, if you're gonna hunt with it the fully adjustable sights on the TC hawken is hard to beat.

Chaz and J. Dirt like this.