In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Primitive weapons

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by stihl sawing, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Tommy two chops

Tommy two chops

Dont own one but shot a few of the old black powder side x side hammer guns over here at a game fair, was very impressed.

J. Dirt and stihl sawing like this.
  2. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

Finally got the sight hitting in circle, and shot three for effect it grouped em all together but I wanted it centered. tapped the sight a little more and fired three for effect again. Suckers a tack driver. shooting at 40 yards.

SANY3207.JPG SANY3208.JPG

3. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

made a couple loading stands for the revolvers and they work great.

SANY3225.JPG SANY3228.JPG SANY3229.JPG

J. Dirt, clay shooter and 94BULLITT like this.
  4. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

Pulled two more pistols out and none of the stands would work on the single shot, so I made one .

SANY3240.JPG SANY3242.JPG SANY3244.JPG

5. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

Shot the 36 caliber today at 15 yards.

SANY3250.JPG SANY3252.JPG

6. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

Those cap n ball revolvers are a hoot to shoot. I have a Pietta copy 1858 Remington that is quite accurate even with me shooting it.:rootintootin:

Do you use ball only, or have you tried conicals as well?

J. Dirt, 94BULLITT and stihl sawing like this.
  7. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

I have in the 44's, their kinda hard to find.

J. Dirt and saskwoodburner like this.
  8. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

15 shots at 15 yards.

SANY3286.JPG SANY3282.JPG SANY3283.JPG SANY3284.JPG SANY3285.JPG SANY3287.JPG

9. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

It's slim pickin's in town for supplies here, so I ordered a bullet mold and made some. A noticeable increase in recoil and energy I suppose.

10. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

There is a few muzzleloader shops here, still a lot of supplies and old style supplies. but the conical pistol bullets are not available much. I have seen them online for sale. I thought about makin my own bullets and if I shot a smoothbore much I probably would. those are heavy and expensive. but everything else here is cheap on roundballs. I just bought 50, 44 and 36 cal balls and they were 12 bucks for a 100 of the 50 and 11 for 100 of the 36.

11. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

What's expensive now is the powder, It's 24 bucks a pound now. I can remember paying 3 and 4 dollars a pound for it.

J. Dirt likes this.
  12. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

And up here, the last time I checked, was near $20 for 100 round ball for the 44. Pyrodex can be had for $25-30

13. Marshel54

Marshel54

$24 a pound! Holy crap. I went to the cupboard to see what power I had. It was 4f so I will have to get some.
    The muzzleloader shop that was local, about an hour round trip away, closed down many years ago. The next closest is about 2 1/2 hours round trip away. I will have to stop in if I have time when in their area.
    I was heavy into Buckskinning and black powder from the late 1980s through early 2000. I haven't shot black powder in years, but think about every time I lean back in my recliner. My muzzle loader hangs above my recliner.
    I have owned CVAs and Thompson Center cap guns. The one I have presently is a rock gun. I was at the shooting club closest to me and asked one of the members about a Dixie kit. He said, "If you want to build one I hold a clinic every Tuesday. Buy the parts from me and we will make one." I signed up and it took a year to build it. We even rifled the barrel. I believe I had around $400 in the whole thing.
    I know I have a 32 cal. barrel, that needs breeched, and a cherry stock out in the workshop. I also have a walnut board, cut in stock thickness, about 12' long in the barn. I just may have to get back into it now that I am retired.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  14. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

It would be awesome to build one and take good skills. I don't have those.lol Custom rifles are goin for good money today. especially if it has a lot of inlays.

15. Marshel54

Marshel54

Thank you for posting this thread.
    The muzzle loading club use to have a rendezvous the 1st weekend in Nov. I will have to dig out my skins, see if they still fit and see if the old capote is still good. Maybe a visit if they still are having it.

16. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

Never done any buckskinning and dress, but I bet it would be a blast. there are a couple clubs here I know of. don't know why I never joined them, we used to shoot all day long. it wasn't nothing to shoot 75 to 100 rounds in one day out of the ole flinters or percussion models. we burn't a lot of powder back in the late 70's and early eighties. You could shoot them for very little money. but when they opened the muzzleloader season here the prices went crazy. everyone was buying muzzleloaders to hunt with. most didn't like em so much after and sold them. too much work for some.lol Then inlines came in and the sidelocks became nearly extinct. a lot came back to it with the inlines since here we can scope them and they are much easier to load and clean and have a farther range.

17. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

Shot the little CVA 32 cal squirrel rifle today, tried to the other day and got one shot off and broke the cleaning jag and came home. I've had this gun many years.

SANY3289.JPG SANY3292.JPG SANY3295.JPG

J. Dirt likes this.
  18. chris

chris

Been out of the muzzel loading games for a while now but used to get around to a bunch of the shoots here. Shooting Trap with muzzle loading shot guns( flint and percussion) is a real hoot particularly at dusk -talk about 4th of July.

19. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

Traditions Vortek 50 cal at 50 yards with 180 grain 44 mag pistol bullets and sabots. my old eyes ain't what they used to be.

SANY3300.JPG SANY3301.JPG SANY3302.JPG

20. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

went back this afternoon and took the Knight T bolt, stepped back 100 yards and let er rip. the hollow point bullet kinda wander a bit at that distance. But all of em would be kill shots and that's all I need. I was sitting in a chair with my elbows on a table. it was really windy too.

SANY3303.JPG SANY3305.JPG

J. Dirt, saskwoodburner and XXL like this.