Swag Shoppe

Price of firewood vs. fuel oil in northeast

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by BDF, Jun 26, 2017.

1. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Granted, but the gas station has overhead (employees, electric etc.) plus what he paid for the station in the first place.

2. BDF

BDF

Not me, I cannot figure this out. Fuel oil prices, gasoline prices.... might as well throw dice as try and figure out what makes these prices move. Sure on some level the price of crude kicks in but for the most part, they are unconnected.

OFFTOPIC: I learned my lesson many years ago: trading stocks, I learned that they price of 1) a stock and 2) stocks is not coupled to anything. And there are some interesting, if not out- right amazing things that happen everyday to prove this. My favorite: suppose that market as a whole is growing by 4%. But a particular stock is expected to ride 8% for one gazillion reasons. And this number is chosen by some who are trusted and have a great following. Then the stock comes in at the end of the quarter at 6 1/2% growth and it..... wait for it..... has a large sell- off and its price drops like the mangy mongrel that it is. Oh sure, it did better than the market as a whole but that is merely reality.... it failed to make the numbers that analysts predicted. This and many other stock behavior I have observed have proven to me that not only are the prices NOT driven by any sane, logical reasons but that whim and idiocy are what are truly the driving forces behind prices. So figure the price of fuel oil? Nah, that is too advancef for me. :confused::rolleyes:

There are of course so rational reasons for movement; fuel oil typically rises in the fall, and gasoline rises in the early summer (peak is usually 4 July for the holiday) due to anticipation of increased usage.

Brian

NortheastAl likes this.
  3. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

true on stocks... it only seems rational to those that due it.. yes HHO (home heating oil) is derived from crude but a lot of the pricing comes from refinery of which there are 6 in US iirc.. been years.. none newer than 1970.. they post efficiency and maintenance schedules for them.. the biggest for HHO is in jersey.. as it HHO is most widely used in northeast

NortheastAl likes this.
  4. BDF

BDF

Oil creeping up some more: best prices are now $1.81 to $1.85 / gal. at the lowest but some have cracked $2.00 / gal. All discount, wholesale prices.

Brian

5. BDF

BDF

My wife stacked the firewood that was delivered a week or so ago. The two Holz Hausens to the left are all the new wood- not sure if there are really 2 cord there or not but if not, I think it is close. The wood is really pretty good, all hardwood and pretty dry (going by feel and sound, not metered yet). And a few splits are doing double- duty of drying as well as holding the end of a piece of PEX that is stretched all the way into and through the second floor; that is oxygen barrier PEX, and working with the stuff with the 'coil memory' is not desireable so stretching it out straight and letting the sun have its way with it for a couple of days works wonders. Once you do work with the coiled stuff, you appreciate why plumbers have so many racks of 10' straight sections in their trucks.

[​IMG]

Brian

Viking80, NortheastAl and Midwinter like this.
  6. Oldman47

Oldman47

I can usually find e-10 87 octane at next month's RBOB plus 60 cents. Any more than that and I figure someone along the line is ripping me off. Much less than that and I had better keep my tanks full because it will soon be going up. I am thinking that a similar relationship between WTI and heating oil exists. You just need to figure out the ratios that you see in your area. About half of that 60 cents I see is state road taxes so the profit part is not exactly large for the local seller.

NortheastAl likes this.
  7. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Same for heating oil. WTI doesn't necessarily correlate to distillate prices but NY Harbor ULSD is heating oil. The further one is from NY Harbor, the more it's gonna cost to transport it there to its final point of use.. HO used to be the proxy for jet fuel until they started trading it too. Below you can see the difference between ULSD and WTI.

IMG_0541.jpg IMG_0542.jpg

NortheastAl likes this.
  8. Boomstick

Boomstick

You can look at inflation vs oil.....they usually correlate.
    If you want to feel better/worse about prices in general you can look at actual inflation rates.
    With the dollar being worth so little oil isn't that expensive.

NortheastAl likes this.