In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Price for yard space

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Pluke, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Pluke

Pluke

hello to all, I tried starting up a small firewood business on Long Island, NY and the yard I'm at I have to leave because of neighbors. I have a new yard set up to go but me and the new owner are trying to figure out how it would be worth it for both of us for me to use the space. He doesn't want rent and that works for me but also doesn't have a lot of fires himself. Should he get a % of all sales and if so how much, or a set dollar amount per cord or what? This is our dilemma right now, any suggestions would be very helpful.

gboutdoors likes this.
  2. billb3

billb3

It might be worth having a commercial business there for him just for the historical use of the property if there are single family zoning pressures surrounding his property.

gboutdoors and M2theB like this.
  3. M2theB

M2theB

I see an opportunity for the land owner to question the production, whether by % or by the cord, unless he's part of the operation. You might even see some passive pressure to produce and sell more. Or worse.
    I suggest you push again for a fixed fee over time for the use.
    He sounds easy going. If that's the case you may be able to be budget your payment based on production and pay less when lean and more when fat.
    That should provide a basis to square up should the business expire before you both do.