In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

"Preppers"? are you one?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Beetle-Kill, May 20, 2015.

1. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Just curious what sort of potential situations you prepare for, based on your local conditions. JB

2. bocefus78

bocefus78

I'm not what I consider to be a prepper, but I am more prepared than most around me.
    I've got food, fuel,genny,guns ammo and reloading supplies, water purification system, bartering items, and a bug out location capable of running off grid in the sticks that only 5 people know how to get to.

I don't prepare for any 1 situation... I just try to stay ahead of the curve to offer myself and those around me a fighting chance.

3. Daryl

Daryl

I used to be. But there really isn't a need for it since I am single. I feel guilty tossing stuff that I have saved because it's too much. I hate wasting food. So I have backed off the canning.

The only emergency I am worried about is losing power because of a storm. I buy bottled water because my well sucks so I always have enough for a long time. I have flameless candles that last forever. Plenty of blankets and I live next to a creek so I am good to go with water. I'm learning to grow small indoor vegetable plants so once I get that down, then that should help. I have been eating more of a vegetarian diet so there is no need for ammo or guns.

So I am a sort of prepper. I'm more 'aware' than anything.

4. bassJAM

bassJAM

I'm not a prepper either. But I have enough camping and backpacking gear that my family could probably get by for awhile, and the past 6 deer I've shot I've dressed and butchered myself so I'd know how. I also try to keep 20+ gallons of gas in the garage at all times, and have 3 kerosene heaters with the fuel for them (my woodstove needs electric to heat the house). Other than my bedroom and CC guns that are loaded at all times, I have 5 mags for the AR loaded in the safe if SHTF. I'm slowly working my way to 10 mags. I also mentioned something to my wife last month about buying a bunch of MRE's to keep in the basement, and she was very open to the idea which surprised me.

It's not like I really expect anything bad to happen other than a bad storm knocking the electric out. About 10 years ago when I still lived with my parents we lost our electric for 10 days in an ice storm. It's not like the roads were shut down for long or anything, but it was nice having the wood stove and several lanterns. Mom had to cook Christmas dinner on the wood stove that year.

5. Daryl

Daryl

Oh, the flameless candles. They are as bright as regular candles. Down the road I am going to get some solar powered rechargeable batteries.

6. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Beer, frozen pizza and water...I consider myself ready for almost anything!!

And of course a few reasons for no good people to stay away from me!!

1187297_10200346115958455_2079085600_n[1].jpg

7. Norky

Norky

I should be able to hang in there for a while when the zombie pocklips happens, but don't consider myself a prepper. It's not something that occupies my mind or that I obsess over and that's the way preppers seem to me.

8. tuneighty

tuneighty

I have a mild case of prepping, but I feel it's somewhat frugal as well. No I don't need 25 lbs of rice, but the cost per pound is incredible. I've started keeping my pantry stocked with 2-3 of each. Mostly stuff that will not go bad.

I garden to save $, wood heat to save $ etc etc....

No guns here, nope not a single one. ;)

9. ironpony

ironpony

my neighbor is a prepper, if the SHTF I will take his stuff.......... survival, ah America. :rootintootin:

10. fox9988

fox9988

I don't consider myself a prepper, but I don't plan to run out of :rootintootin:

11. bushpilot

bushpilot

Not a prepper, but I try to be prepared for natural and some man-made disasters. Mostly revolving around loss of utilities, and inability to get out to resupply due to storms, unrest, etc.

So - water, food, cash, tools, skills, and firewood are what interests me.

If the zombies come, I am toast.:hair::bug:

Greg

12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Would someone please describe exactly what is meant by being a prepper? Is it just being prepared for something specific? This is the first time I've heard that word.

13. Norky

Norky

Survivalists kind of. People that prepare for worst case societal or natural disasters.

14. fox9988

fox9988

Preppers: people preparing, usually for a collapse of civilization. There is a big movement over the last several years, people are very concerned. Not that I'm a prepper but economic collapse is my concern. When/if people loose faith in those pieces of paper we work our whole lives for ($), they will become worthless and create a global economic disaster. If you think about it, they really are worthless unless you have faith that you can trade them for something useful. Originally, the US dollar was backed with gold to give people trust. Those days are long gone.

Other SHTF scenarios: coronal mass ejection, running out of oil, asteroid strike, zombie apocalypse (usually used sarcastically), global climate change, foreign takeover, government takeover, famine, etc. The list goes on and on.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  15. Norky

Norky

I just want to be able to make it long enough to where the gimmiedats and the bottom feeders kill all the sheep and then each other and then decide whether this worlds worth living in.

16. Brad38

Brad38

I've started buying 1 #10 can per month of mountain house freeze-dried food on Amazon about 5 months back. It's a little pricey, but has a shelf-life of around 30 yrs. that's good for my tendency to be lazy! :). Also, I would recommend the water filtration products from life water. One of the family sized filters can filter 4-5 thousand gallons of water. Water, food, and shelter/heat. It's smart to have back-up plans for all just in case. Most people only have enough on hand for a few days...

17. mattjm1017

mattjm1017

I'm not a prepper by any means but I try to keep some extra food and water on hand during hurricane season.

18. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Since I started this..
    Like Brad38 stated, I pick up Mountain House freeze dried food also. Other types also. I have a year round creek so water purifiers also. Tools, basic medicinal supplies, matches, lighters, candles, etc., etc. -also.
    I'm not concerned about any one thing. Just if something drastic did occur, I'd have a house full of relatives from the Denver area in no time, if they actually could get up here. And they'd come empty handed I'm sure. So I'm trying to plan for a dozen people for 3 months. I'm not going to go past that.
    Once the toilet paper and tampons run out, it's going to get ugly. :whistle:

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  19. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

You are hilarious!!

Seriously, we are not that prepared supplies wise, but in survival mode I would expect relatives at our place too.

20. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Dennis, do you know any LDS members? They can explain it very well.
    My employers are LDS, mandatory 2 year storage and prep. We even build under ground shelters-www.securitydisastershelters.com- I've learned quite a bit from them, as far as preparation goes.