In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Poof, No hair!

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by Deer Meadow Farm, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Deer Meadow Farm

Deer Meadow Farm

Well, this will be my most embarrassing post to date. It was a tough lesson to learn and I was actually pretty lucky. I have been lazy... In the off season, I had parked my 3-point skidder winch in front of my OWB. I should have moved it right away when I started burning this year, but I found I could open the door and it would just squeeze by. The door opens from right to left. Normally, I open the door slowly from the left side. This allows you to be protected from any flash which happens on occasion. Because the winch was in front and my wood pallets are on the right, I got in the habit of opening the door from that side. I figured just open it slow and any gasses would dissipate before opening it all the way therefore eliminating the potential for flash.

Bad idea... Over the holidays I was sick as a dog, so sick that I only dragged myself out the last day and a half of deer season (If you knew me, this would be a very good indicator of how lousy I felt...). Anyway, I don't know if I wasn't thinking clear because of that, or if I just wanted to hurry up and get back inside or whatever. The fact is I opened the door from the wrong side, too quickly and the fire flashed right in my face. I burned a bunch of hair (no, my receding hairline was not that bad to start...), my eyelashes, eyebrows, moustache and beard and it was like I had an instant suntan on my face. So, I share the following picture to show you how bad being lazy can be...
    016.JPG

2. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh

That's hysterical. Thanks for posting. Most people probably wouldn't.

3. Deer Meadow Farm

Deer Meadow Farm

Well, I figured it might keep someone else from being stupid...

4. savemoney

savemoney

you were lucky you didn't get it worse. That happened to my wife once when she opened a gas oven at some old military housing we were living in. She nylons melted to her legs, she had burns on the back of her hands and her face was as singed as yours. To make matters worse, she was pregnant.

5. Deer Meadow Farm

Deer Meadow Farm

Yup, very lucky...

6. cnice_37

cnice_37

I can smell it from here, p-u.

So is there not a better way to remedy the "flash" like opening up a damper all the way? Not an OWB guy, trying to learn.

7. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

WHOA!! Glad you're OK buddy! I've had some close calls with my heard and the fireplace this season......

Years ago when I was in my early teens, I went deer hunting with a buddy of mine and his dad one time, the Temps were in the low single digits, and after a while on stand I was frozen....

So I looked around to build a small fire and noticed an old gallon paint can laying in the brush. Not understanding physics quite yet (I was only in 7th or 8th grade at the time) I loaded the can up with tinder and leaves and there were no holes in the bottom to draft the fire......lit a match, threw it in the can and after several seconds of nothing but smoke, I gave it some air by blowing into the can.......
    POOF!!!!! My eyelashes, eyebrows and bangs were instantly GONE! lol

When my buddy and his dad came by to get me to move to another spot, they both had a good laugh.....

8. ironpony

ironpony

when you finish combing it you will be like me BALD..........
    lesson learned

9. Deer Meadow Farm

Deer Meadow Farm

You open the damper, wait 12-18 seconds, crack open the door an inch or so...wait a few more seconds, then open it all the way (standing behind the door!)

10. chris

chris

Many years ago I had a landlord that developed the same symptoms from a old Octopus coal furnace converted several times- at that point on NG. Unit wasn't lighting and I had no inkling to mess with it, So wife calls Landlord who duly shows up goes down to furnace and shortly there after there was a rather faint explosion sound followed by some very creative sentences. Results were slightly worse than the above picture. Many other stories about that old farm house and it's inhabitants besides myself and wife.

11. bushpilot

bushpilot

:bug: Wow, glad you are OK.

wildwest, KsKent and Well Seasoned like this.
  12. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Glad it wasn't worse! Are your eyes ok?

wildwest likes this.
  13. Deer Meadow Farm

Deer Meadow Farm

I wear glasses fortunately so yes. I thought I had ruined them at first because they were immediately all clouded up, but whatever caused that just wiped off. Some flame managed to get behind them though because my eyelashes got singed too....

14. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

I'm glad to hear it wasn't worse. I feed an outdoor boiler for a friend when they go away. I've always been careful about those flashes. Can happen to anyone. Thanks for a good safety reminder. Hair at least grows back.

wildwest and Deer Meadow Farm like this.
  15. yooperdave

yooperdave

:bug:

wildwest likes this.
  16. Gasifier

Gasifier

wildwest and yooperdave like this.
  17. Hydro Farmer

Hydro Farmer

Been there. I went most of last winter with stubby eyelashes and half eyebrows lol

30 Clip Magazine On My Ghost Gun

wildwest likes this.
  18. Fifelaker

Fifelaker

Mine has had Dragon Breath a few times, I look at the stack and if I see the smoke is just doing the lazy thing leaving, I crack the door an inch or so and let the draft take over then open it all the way. If there is no smoke and the heat waves are flowing I open the door an inch or so then open it all of the way. The first time it did it was rather exciting, I didn't get burned but the dog learned a few new words.

wildwest and yooperdave like this.
  19. yooperdave

yooperdave

Canines! Always on the quest for knowledge!

20. DNH

DNH

My neighbor burns the leftover hay piles every couple
    weeks as he moves the round bale rings, a few weeks ago either he or his hired hand was a little liberal the the liquid fire fire starting apparatus (gas) I heard and felt the "WOOSH" from about 200 yards away. This is from a guy who has don't this for 40+ years, we all get a little complacent from time to time. Thanks for the reminder to be careful.