In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Outerwears Filter covers

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by DexterDay, Jun 7, 2014.

1. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

I bought these going into Winter for both the 441 and the 460
    With the way the filtration works on the 441, it really doesn't need one. But the old MS 460 really benefits from one of these.

Actually, any saw running an HD2 set up could benefit from these. The pleats on the HD2 get plugged in no time when under heavy use.

I forgot all about mine until I went to clean and service my saws yesterday. Figured I would let the masses see it and decide for themselves whether they would benefit from it.

They also make a recoil cover (intake) to stop chips (acts as a pre filter) and snow in the winter time.

They are relatively cheap ($6.95) and come in any color to match. They only make the covers for Stihl (044/440 up to 088/880) and some Echo models.

(This is not my saw. I think you have to attach velcro or something to that effect for this to be mounted)
    20-2472.jpg

This is my 460 with orange filter installed.

20140606_143148.jpg

(I do not work for, affiliate with, or get any kick back from this ;))
    This is me trying to help a fellow member who runs an HD set up saw.. :thumbs:

2. Cut4fun

Cut4fun

Yep had a friend that ran them on the HD filters on 372's. Their good stuff.

mdavlee likes this.
  3. rookie1

rookie1

Cool Dex. I may get one for my 044. :)

4. nate

nate Banned

The filter of my 460 is a 2 part. It has basically an underwears over it.Stihl brand

My 660 is more like a k&n filter, but Stihl brand. I hate it, It clogs up quick

5. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Your 460 has an older filter set up on it. They make 3 different versions.

There is the old original (what is on your 460), the new HD2 (looks like a K & N and what's on your 660), and the Max flow filter (2 part foam type product). This Outwear will work with all of them.

1402157068804.jpg

For the cost, it's worth it. Just for the added protection. The fines/dust builds up quick and will hinder performance.

6. Guido Salvage

Guido Salvage

My Shindiawa 757 has a 2 stage filter from the factory.

rookie1 likes this.
  7. NewToStihl

NewToStihl

Good call Dex! Those things are great. I use the pre-filter (non-recoil cover) outerwears on my 261 & 461. They breathe much better than the OEM prefilter and do a great job keeping fines out. As you mentioned, they market them for the 440 and up, but they do fit just fine on the smaller/round HD filters you find on the 261 and a few other models.

It's really cool that you can get them in a variety of colors, but I recommend a dark color (I went with black) since it's easier to determine when they're getting filled with fines.

DexterDay and MasterMech like this.
  8. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Didn't think about the dark color. :) I went with Orange (Stihl ;)) but Black would have looked good too..

So that fits the 261, eh? The 362 has the same style filter. So I presume that it would fit it as well?

9. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Do you have trouble with fines plugging the filter on your 261? Mine goes tank after tank after tank and still stays very clean. Same with my 441. My old 460s you pretty much had to clean the filter after each tank of fuel.

I can see these being a fantastic product for you guys with a 440/460/461 (or similar). No point having a rip-snortin' saw if the air filter is holding all that awesomeness back.....

Hey Dex, do they make them for the Husky guys too? Especially the 545/550XP, 555/562XP? Also, there are plenty of 1123 series Stihls (021-025, MS210-250) that need help keeping the fines out of the itty bitty filters.

10. NewToStihl

NewToStihl

Yep, the updated 362 uses exactly the same filter as the 261. Since the circumference of the filter is less there is certainly some extra material and/or bunching, but it says on well and the shroud fits up just fine.

I don't necessarily have trouble with it plugging, but fines do build up depending of course on the type of wood I'm cutting and the weather conditions. I don't like that for two reasons; its tough to get those pleated filters completely clean & the way I see it any buildup at all is either creating or is the beginning of a restriction.

11. NewToStihl

NewToStihl

I don't mean to speak for Dex, but as of right now they only advertise them for Echo & Stihl.

http://www.outerwearsracing.com/categories.asp?cat=12685

I'm not sure what the filters look like on those Huskys, but there is a possibility that they might fit if the format is similar. No dice on the 1123 series Stihls though.

12. mdavlee

mdavlee

Max flow filters don't plug as quick.

13. Guido Salvage

Guido Salvage

The filter set up on my Shindaiwa 757. The main filter is an automotive style with a foam prefilter. If you can find them, the two of them will set you back about $42.

image.jpg image.jpg

14. NewToStihl

NewToStihl

Hey MM, regarding air filter clogging on the 261...

Not long ago I fell, limbed, bucked, and flush cut a freshly dead spruce tree in my yard. Not a big tree, I'd say about 25' tall and 12"-15" DBH. It just occurred to me that I hadn't gotten around to cleaning my saw yet. Here's what it looks like having done that work in primarily warm/dry weather. The saw was spotless before doing that work, so this is just a single tree and less than a tank of gas. This obviously looks worse on the outerwear than it would have on the pleated filter, but it's still a good bit of fines. Does yours stay cleaner than this?

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

15. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

I agree. Any fines/dust is not good. These prohibit the filter from getting almost no fines in them. Because over time, it will plug itself.

I just had what I thought was a Big problem with an MS 360. Ended up being that the flock filter was just at the end of the road. Over the years from fines and spit back (fuel) it just pulled itself to the point of not letting the saw Rev and run properly.

I will be ordering another for my 362 tonight. I just got a dual spike kit in the mail today for my 362. Courtesy of GrJfer :) Thanks buddy

For the few bucks, it's well worth the added protection.

And NewtoStihl was dead on. In my OP I put that they are only available currently for the Stihl and some Echo's. But as the 044/460 and up filter fits the 261/362. There may be others already made that will fit another saw filter that is similar in size/shape.

NewToStihl likes this.
  16. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

That may be more debris than I had in the saw from a whole winter of cutting....... But I cut a lot of silver maple this winter with razor sharp chain so that may make a bit of difference in the amount of dust generated.

clemsonfor and NewToStihl like this.
  17. lukem

lukem

My 362 wouldn't get that much dust after 5 tanks. I've tapped out the filter a couple times since I've had it and got almost nothing out each time.

MasterMech likes this.
  18. NewToStihl

NewToStihl

That's crazy. Again, this was dead evergreen, but was certainly cut with a fresh-off-the-grinder RS Stihl chain. I cut a lot of ash & hickory over the winter and although I would cut for the majority of a day I still had every bit that much dust/debris when I got home of an evening. Started every day with a freshly sharp (either grinder or touched up with a file) chain too. Hard telling...

mdavlee, DexterDay and MasterMech like this.
  19. nate

nate Banned

I clean mine (blow it out) after maybe 4-5 gals through the saw. It never seems to get too bad.