In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Opinions on Stihl 038 Magnum?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Boog, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Pyroholic

Pyroholic

Those are straight from the Stihl dealer along with the roller chain catch. They aren't exactly necessary for what I do, but they dig hard and look cool.

clemsonfor likes this.
  2. Oakman69

Oakman69

I own a 038 magnum II 20" b. I am in love with. My brother from another mother, Don, bought it from a dealer new, way way back for the family farm for 500 bones and still runs very well. Has power. All I can say is it will do the job w ease quick work of whatever oaks and locusts I can find. Needs new oiler though.
    I gotta say though I also have echo cs590 20"b and that is a fine saw. Not as much balls as the 038 but it starts and has the echo reliability standard burning on.
    Echo saws are just as reliable and are alot cheaper. The 680 is a "Comercial" saw that will run a 27" bar but is alot cheaper at around 400 .

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  3. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

The 680? And 27" bar?

4. tamarack

tamarack

I like stihl 038 s one of the best models stihl ever made.

5. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Sounds right. 70 cc saw and 27 inches. Probably only 25" of usable bar.

There are people who run 28" bars on 036/MS 360 or 039/MS 390. That Echo has a little more displacement than those Stihl models.

Kyle Mulligan likes this.
  6. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Didn't know if he meant to say 680 sin e he was talking about different saws. Plus does anyone make a 27?....Probably was a typo from 28 but I don't know? Maybe it's like Stihls 25" bar deal. Ha

7. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

And Echo's 20" is a 70DL chain. Don't put too much stock in the numbers. It's all marketing wank anyways. Sharpen chain, fill tanks, pull rope, cut wood. Repeat as often as necessary.

Boog, Kyle Mulligan and clemsonfor like this.
  8. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I hate when they do that. I like to be able to swap loops from saw to saw.

Kyle Mulligan likes this.
  9. tamarack

tamarack

Why are drivelink counts different?

10. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Cause any maker can make their chains with any number of DL. Who knows ehy they do it....oh wait, it's so you have to go to the dealer to find their oddball chain...you can't just roll up into the husky or stihl dealer and find it easy.

Like why is Stihls 84DL chain a 25" and why does husky and oregon and all the other makers call an 84DL chain a 24"?

Just one of those things

Boog likes this.
  11. Boog

Boog

Funny how this old thread from 2013 got revived, love it. To update my original story, the deal ended up as swapping saws even, and then paying her the $500 she wanted for the beater splitter. She got my like new 250 that is still running like a charm and I "had" to drop good money on a new 241 to replace it (thanks MM). The 038 Mag gave be constant trouble right out of the gate and I ended up doing a partial rebuild on it and selling it. The old splitter's Techumseh engine would never start/run in cold weather and I finally replaced it with a new 8hp 12V started briggs. Runs like a dream but the pump AND a hose have started leaking ....... could have bought a new splitter by the time I'll replace those.

Moral of the story ............... don't try to help out your newly divorced sister buy buying your brother-ex-law's old junk. Just give her some cash if she needs it, you'll have a lot less headaches in the long run! :hair:

12. tamarack

tamarack

Im only familiar with the husky/jred drive link counts. I knew stihl was different i guess now i sort of understand.

13. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

A stihl 20" and husky 20" are both 72DL in the full 3/8 size chain. Most other bars I beleive match up in the modern stuff I beleive between stihl and husky

14. Farmboy707

Farmboy707

I got a 038 super pro and i love it great power and just overall BA!

clemsonfor likes this.