In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Online chainsaw parts source

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by blacksmithden, Oct 18, 2017.

1. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

Hello. My name is Den and Im in Canada....which means I either get raped on parts pricing, or its just not available at all. Lol

I bought a "well used" Stihl 051 a few days ago, and Im bringing it back to full working order if it kills me. :) After seeing various web vendors and their prices.....well....the parts will be coming out of the US and thats all there is to it. It needs a new oil pump worm gear, clutch, fuel line....lets just say it needs the rebuild kit.

My question is simple. What's your favorite, go-to online parts source ?

p61 western likes this.
  2. Nixon

Nixon

Try ereplacements ,parts tree , hlsproparts . The first two are OEM ,for the most part . Hls is mostly after market .

3. p61 western

p61 western

4. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

Got any part numbers of what ya need?

Nixon, blacksmithden and p61 western like this.
  5. huskihl

huskihl

definitive dave may have some stuff in a box. Or he may be able to you locate what you need

6. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

7. p61 western

p61 western

I don't know how but I forgot, but yes talk with definitive dave before you check anywhere else.

blacksmithden likes this.
  8. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

I haven't had a chance to compile a list yet. I did find a parts breakdown/exploded views though. Once I do, for some reason, I'm starting to get the impression I should contact definitive dave. LOL.
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Stephiedoll and p61 western like this.
  9. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Another place that may have parts is Madsen's in Centrailia Washington.
    They've been a Stihl dealer just about forever .

About Us Menu

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    thistle and blacksmithden like this.
  10. JustWood

JustWood Guest

International shipping , duties and taxes may kill the deal for you. I used to have a lot of Canadian customers but as the USPS has basically doubled and in some cases tripled shipping rates it's no longer any savings for north of the border customers.
    Finding another identical donor saw locally may be a cheaper option.

11. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

There is that for sure. I don't know much about the B.C. timber industry. Wether it was mostly contractors or gypo outfits that did most of the talking and logging. And I know Canadian, IEL, Pioneer were made in Canada.
    Still , I'm sure the 051AV fell LOTS of timber in B.C. . just need to find some that weren't on the coast. The salt air eats up the magnesium that the main cases ect were made from.

12. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Sure would Love to take a good vacation to B.C. and Alberta.

13. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

Shipping certainly has gone up, but over all, its still a fair bit cheaper for me to bring stuff up if there are multiple items coming from one place. As of right now, our idiot prime minister hasnt forced the complete blow up of NAFTA (yet). Here in the province of Alberta, I only get hit with 5% tax and no extra import duties unless I order stuff off ebay. Ebay and their "no extra fees or duties when imported" special charges nail us for a lot more than 5%.

I made up a parts list last night and started looking around. I can get everything I need from 2 different suppliers. Im going to have a better look on Sunday and Ill order the stuff then. Im in no rush to have it running this fall. I looked at definitive dave's profile, and he hasnt logged on since Oct 5. Thats ok. Ive found everything I need.

Cold Trigger Finger likes this.
  14. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

15. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

16. blacksmith

blacksmith

definitive dave dave will treat you well. Although he can be kind of hard to get a hold of through the site because he is a very busy man. His ebay store is Chainsaw Conservation Components. His e mail address is [email protected]. Good luck on getting the parts for your build, start a thread and keep us updated with pictures and info of your build as well! I just hope he sees the "den" after your name and doesn't confused you with me!:D

17. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

Ok. Emailed him a list of part numbers with descriptions last night. We'll see how he makes out.

blacksmith likes this.
  18. thistle

thistle

p61 western, blacksmith and Nixon like this.
  19. Hoggwood

Hoggwood

One would think that living in BC would prove to be a haven for used saw parts. In actuality, it is not. Perhaps if you are only buying Stihl or Husqvarna? There are no vintage used saw parts dealers - that I am aware of - in Western Canada. The majority of good sources for parts are down south. US is where you find the bulk of parts but, as mentioned, cross boarder shipping/duty is a killer. I am fortunate enough to be able to frequent a US post box every 3 months or so. It is a bit of a drive, but I can go and pick up parts there and bring them across myself.

The more serious you find yourself getting into this hobby, the more connections you make. Connections are your first source. It never fails to impress me the lengths fellow members will go to share parts, leads, literature, documents and know how. It is a testament to the genuine spirit folks seem have in these circles.