In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Old Tractors and Farm Equipment

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by J. Dirt, Feb 13, 2017.

1. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

That's awesome to be part of your family too! Have you ever driven it? Or has he worked it at all?

Screwloose likes this.
  2. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

3. Bgoathill

Bgoathill

Today's auction acquisition was a McCormick #8 windrower. Bought it on an auction about 15 miles away. It had never left that farm since it was bought new. It's in excellent condition, came with two canvasses but they're in poor condition, I think one might be useable. I can get new, modern ones fairly reasonable.

windrower.png

Screwloose, Gasifier, Rope and 6 others like this.
  4. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Very nice!!! Even the right color :D

Screwloose and brenndatomu like this.
  5. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

A couple of the "girls" going out to finish the last few rows of corn this morning IMG_1282.JPG

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Holey moley I haven't seen a 2 row planter in probably almost 40 years

7. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I know used car dealers have a poor reputation as a whole, and while for my Grandmother it was antique dealers that were bent on scamming her out of everything; for me it is the creepy people that like to gather scrap and sell it. Oh good gracious have I seen some nice tractors and implements headed for a blast furnace on the backs of their trailers.

Myself I am forever chasing them away, them not realizing "that junk on the rock wall" are implements we still use. Yeah it might be a 1952 Dearborn Plow, but I can still go to my New Holland dealer and buy parts for it off their shelf. That is pretty good, it is 65 years old after all. The same for our bush hog, our manure spreader, and harrow. Laugh if you will, but they still work. I know some people cannot look beyond rust, but it also costs them a lot of money.

This is not the best picture of that 1952 Dearborn plow granted, but at least it is out of the soil so you can see it! The fact that all 4 wheels of the tractor are not on the ground is a minor point!

DSCN4921.JPG

Screwloose, Jack Straw, Rope and 6 others like this.
  8. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

I hear you about the rusty iron!!! I can't stand to see it get melted down when there's at very least good parts to be had to allow someone to be able to keep there rusty iron alive! In fact Saturday I sold an old rusty corn picker that needed a ton of work to a guy and I couldn't let it go until I figured out what he was doing with it, restoring it to use! :D As for the two wheel running tractor you've got there... I'm sure she's fine :thumbs: there made to work at all sorts of funny angles:whistle:

Screwloose, Rope and blacksmith like this.
  9. AJtree88

AJtree88

IMG_3637.JPG
    Dragging out one of my chippers with my farmall 460. I tied it to the discs and picked it up with the three point. It was popping wheelies. Ha

IMG_3631.PNG Bought this JD 4 bottom pull behind plow for my buddy the other day. This thing is a beast. Needs tires, a cylinder and some TLC. Snagged it for $100, so he's got some wiggle room to fix it up some.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  10. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

Nice plow!

I wish I had one like that, One problem I have here is that my bulldozer can pull a lot, but getting equipment that does not have hydraulics and yet is a pull-behind can be tough. But it has the traction and HP to pull a 4 bottom easy enough.

What I really need right now is a flail chopper. Now I would trade my wife for one at this point...and that is honestly a pretty good deal (but I am biased I know)!

DSCN1957.JPG

clay shooter, Monster80 and J. Dirt like this.
  11. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Getting it done with the old 460!! :thumbs:As for the plow sweet buy!! I had a semi mounted 4 bottom I picked up and turned it into a three bottom, still allowing to be converted back to 4 with some hand tools.:cool: It's amazing how heavy they really are!:bug: What's he going to pull it with?:sherlock:

Gasifier likes this.
  12. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Keep looking for that plow you'll come across one! Even an old pull behind ripper on that dozer would be sweet!
    As for the flail chopper..... I know the feeling sometimes iron can be sooooo enticing :whistle::picard:

brenndatomu and Gasifier like this.
  13. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I am kind of going in a different direction for the short term; putting a three point hitch on my bulldozer. It already has a PTO which is nice.

DSCN4969.JPG

14. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Wow, another one I spent considerable time in the seat when I was a kid. We had a 7 ft brush hog on it most of the time and it did most of the field surrounds and lane ways. I remember having to stop all the time and clean the radiator grilles or it would overheat, had a terrible problem with bacteria in the fuel, but was a speedy ride down the road which made it a good choice for ferrying wagons or other light tasks.

J. Dirt and brenndatomu like this.
  15. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

That 80 isn't far off from the 82 I ran as a kid. 5 ft at a time was like scrubbing sidewalks with a toothbrush.

J. Dirt and brenndatomu like this.
  16. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

I loved mine it was a little tank and I had a 6' heavy duty bush hog on it until it quite oiling the transmission shafts unknowingly and welded the gears to the shaft :hair::headbang: I really enjoyed the synchro shift on it too made it great for road hauling like you say. I'll have to look I've got some video somewhere of mowing some 9' corn stalks :D. As for fuel troubles mine was gravity fed to the filters and if she started getting down near 1/4 tank you knew it she would start to lose power quick!

MasterMech likes this.
  17. Flamestead

Flamestead

IMG_0019.JPG

I brought this 560D back from the dead, and wanted to restore it, but ended up selling it to get 4wd and roll bar for working in the woods on the hill in the background. Went to a Long 560 next, and now my modern Kubota.

Really enjoyed all the pics in this thread. I've spent time on a Cub, Super C, and 574, and JD A, M, and 50, mostly in hay fields. I'd love to have an older Farmall again, and envy the grain implements!

18. AJtree88

AJtree88

He has a Massey 235. He's just trying to turn the dirt over on a property that was cleared and all the stumps ground. So if he can keep it from digging in, I think he'll manage. I'm sure that plow could stop him dead in his tracks if not careful. :D

J. Dirt likes this.
  19. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I remember as a kid we used to farm this neighbors field. It went up a a pretty steep hill and we were scared the old 120 HP Massey Ferguson was going to spin out on a cow turd and go backwards down over the hill with baler and wagon on behind it!

A few years ago we busted sod on that same field turning it into corn and used an old 8830 Ford to get the job done. My Uncle just shook his head, I was climbing up that hill in the rain, pulling a 7 bottom plow, using 4 wheel drive, and all 170 horses and all he could say was, "wow, we have come a long ways."

It was an old International plow with spring reset and the shares were quivering 90% of the time running over ledge. On the outcroppings, I would have to downshift into low, lift the 3 point hitch, but keep the rear of the plow in the dirt, then lower the three point hitch and lift the tail wheel to work my way over the rock. It was worth it though because then Big Blue (a New Holland 9684) would take our Sunflower disc harrow and "cast" the loosened dirt over the ledge to try and cover it.

J. Dirt likes this.
  20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I just seen what looks to be a really nice IH 560 pop up for sale down the road yesterday...sign said $5600