In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Oh now I'm happy.... this is happening.

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by FatBoy85, Oct 16, 2017.

1. HDRock

HDRock

Not the first kid that got burned on the wood stove, hey my daughter got burned on the oven.
    It just really sucks to see your kids get hurt

2. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Thanks! Its a Woodstock Soapstone Absolute Steel Hybrid.

Its not as customizable as their Ideal Steel that many people on here have, but there are several different models with options as far as the artsy bolt on pieces and colors. You can pick your colors too. My stove is charcoal, and the trees are brown

Horkn, HDRock and papadave like this.
  3. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

sorry to hear that. My daughter was 2.5 last winter, and we were worried about her around the stoves, which is why I never planned to burn much last year. Surprisingly, she was very conscientious of it. However, I'm not so sure that we will have that same level of comfort this year. Though, it might be the dumbass dog that gets the first stove burn. I was checking all around the stove with the IR temp gun, and he almost attacked the stove to get the dot.

HDRock, Horkn and leoht like this.
  4. Kimberly

Kimberly

Maybe a screen around the stove; can still enjoy the stove but be a sort of barrier for the little one. Easily set aside to load the stove; sort of like those three panel fireplace screens.

HDRock, Horkn and savemoney like this.
  5. Kimberly

Kimberly

I know what you mean; I always hated to see the twins get hurt. However, she is not likely to repeat that; it is a hard way to learn not to get near the stove but she probably won't want to go near it now.

Horkn likes this.
  6. Kimberly

Kimberly

You can teach her that we always put on gloves, etc because the stove is hot and can hurt us. By the way, go out and get a bottle of aloe vera gel and keep it in a handy place; that stuff is wonder for burns; including sunburns.

Horkn likes this.
  7. papadave

papadave

See if the Doc will give you some Thermazene cream. That stuff is da bomb (that colloquialism was for you Kimberly:)).
    I burned my hand a few years ago with hot oil....a lot of it......and watched the skin on the back of my hand turn into waves as I stuck it under running water.
    The Thermazene (Silver Sulfadiazene) helped it heal. My hand is fine and shows no scarring at all. The hair grew back too....which is weird, because I didn't have any there before. :rofl: :lol: J/K

Horkn, brenndatomu, savemoney and 4 others like this.
  8. papadave

papadave

FatBoy85 , very nice install. Great feeling, isn't it?
    After running mine with 2X wall stove pipe and checking the flue for a while, I ended up giving away the probe thermo I bought (someone on here needed one). Dry wood and good burning practice makes it unnecessary here.

Horkn, HDRock, Chvymn99 and 1 other person like this.
  9. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Thank you, I did have a nice hot fire, ran about 550 in an index card space on the stove, I did take precautions so tried cooling it down. Helped taming the fire as I didn't want it that hot that soon. Mid winter might do better.

Horkn, savemoney and HDRock like this.
  10. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

Somehow I completely missed this thread until now...well done, FB85! Feels good, doesn't it?

Horkn, brenndatomu, HDRock and 2 others like this.
  11. savemoney

savemoney

FatBoy85 You might want to put up a couple folding fireplace screens in front of the stove. Kids get to running, forget etc. accidents happen, but if she burns her face, you will never forgive yourself. Even being in the same room with the child, the accidents still happen. The screens keep the kids and pets away from the stove. I hope your daughter heals up fast and has no further incidents.

Horkn, HDRock and papadave like this.
  12. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Feel good? Feels fantastic...I love knowing that I prepped well for this...

Horkn, CoreyB, Rangerbait and 2 others like this.
  13. HDRock

HDRock

How is your daughter doing today ,she feeling better , she dealing with it ok ?

14. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I have ordered a gate to go around this thing. Should be here Friday

brenndatomu, HDRock, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  15. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Dealing it better, I don't have her tonight right now so that's ok, give her time to heal up a bit.

HDRock, Horkn and papadave like this.
  16. savemoney

savemoney

:thumbs:, you are going to feel so much better with that in place. Peace of mind is worth a fortune.

HDRock, Horkn and FatBoy85 like this.
  17. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

So I have officially cooked on and been cooked out. This storm which was news all over, expecting pouring down rain has been a goose egg. This morning was blowing pretty good, back and forth rain. I honestly expected it all day. Now its still and quiet. Cool outside but thats it. Having loaded up for the night to expect a storm.... like a rookie in a hot restaurant kitchen.
    I officially have a fan blowing cool air from outside in. Its Summer time back here in this house.

leoht, Kimberly, HDRock and 4 others like this.
  18. Kimberly

Kimberly

I had it up to 80F in the lounge. Noting to fuel the stove for the night, just wanted to take the chill off.

19. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

When you said this, did you mean its 60 degrees off that being its deviances could be 120° total in high or low?

HDRock likes this.
  20. HDRock

HDRock

My digital stove top thermometer always reads 60 degrees low , so at 440 reading, stove top is actually 500
    My Condar mag mount Inferno Stove Top thermometer is right on the money.
    Mag mount thermometers can be off hi or low , the rutland ones I have had all read on the low side consistently

FatBoy85 and papadave like this.