In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fixed No email alerts since Saturday

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Support' started by HDRock, Apr 14, 2014.

1. HDRock

HDRock

Just so ya know
    No email alerts since Tue 7/8/2014 9:00 PM

2. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

We keep breakin' email accounts and such. Working on a permanent fix.

HDRock likes this.
  3. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Email will be up for a while again. Still not a permanent fix.

HDRock likes this.
  4. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

If you haven't noticed, the email is down again. I will get another address up and running shortly. Still hoping to get an official email address going soon.

5. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

HDRock likes this.
  6. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

I thought it was me this time. I lost them at 6:30 today?

7. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Yep, that's about right. They went down, I checked the server for errors and sure enough...

8. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I noticed. And just noticed I missed the notification for this thread. Back up and going fine today.

9. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Email was down again, but it's back up now.

10. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Like not working this mourning? I got a few last night or early this mourn but have not got one in the last dew hours.

11. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Looks like it went down at 11:36 last night.

12. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Did it shut that email down like the others? It only lasted a day or so and the others lasted a week or two.

13. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

We made some behind the scenes changes that allowed the email to stay up as long as it had. We are allowed 500 emails a day with gmail-- once that number is hit the server shuts down. We could have 499 emails for a month straight, until we get a day where 500 or more are sent and it is instantly shut down. As our membership grows, so do our email sent.

Looks like we are now hitting well over 500 a day. We are looking at other options but all of the staff members have busy schedules and I am waiting on some stuff to be done by another staff member that will allow me to make the needed changes. Problem is, it's not an easy job which is complicated by instruction documents not matching actual options. Please be patient while we get everything sorted out and in the meantime we will keep throwing band aids on the email problem and try to keep this feature up as much as possible.

HDRock likes this.
  14. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I understand each day u get a new member and he/she goes crazy posting because we all welcome them in every post for a week straight I can see how we increase emails every day.

I'm not saying we should not do what I just pointed out just doing that to illustrate how the count explodes.

And keep doing what you do, a day here n there missed is no big deal bit when you go 2 months thats the problem.

I know I couldnt do it without lots or reading and frustration.

papadave likes this.
  15. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Just think how many emails you save us by having yours turned off Grizz, as much as you post :)

16. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

I have turned off all but essentials. I get notifications for new posts onthe Suggestions and Support forum and for PMs. These are usually things I need to fix!

17. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

It's not just the welcoming of new members.

New members mean more emails are sent everyday, on average. A moth ago we were at 600 members. Now we hit 666 last night. Next month we will be at 750, etc, etc... With ever day we have to send more emails out.

It's not about the welcoming. .. We just need a system that can handle the thousands of members that we WILL have one day. I encourage people to welcome the new members. Make them feel welcome. Extend a stroke of generosity. :)

Regardless, it was only down for about 12 hrs. So anyone who would have gotten an update on a thread in that time frame? Will not receive an update until you manually go back and look at that thread. So go to your "Watched threads" up top and look for anything that is new that you haven't seen. That is something that was sent in those 12 hours. Just to avoid confusion in a day or two when someone says "I never received an alert for this"!! Yes, yes you did. Email was down and you never received it, and never opened it. So it's as if it's still in your inbox, and unopened (but you really don't have it). Does that make sense Clem?

18. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yea I forgot to also make that point. Not onlyus all welcoming someone and auto subscribing to threads just the sheer volume of new members posting themselves and getting emails.

And Yea your description of why you dont have an alert but there were new posts makes perfect sense.

And I did not mean to say we shouldnt welcome new members although it sounded like that. Thats why I said.. something to the effect of not that I am saying not to welcome new members.

DexterDay likes this.
  19. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Were the behind the scene changes to delay the emails by 30 mins to an hour?

I have been on several times today And seen new posts to participated posts read them only to get notifications way latter in my email?

20. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Nope, that's not us. That's just lag. Behind the scenes changes were to come up with a better communication system between staff members so they didn't generate all those extra emails.

MasterMech likes this.