In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Newbie meat smoker seeking wisdom

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by JA600L, Jan 16, 2017.

1. JA600L

JA600L

Hi guys,
    I do a lot of cooking in and on the Woodstove. I really enjoy the smoke flavor. So I bought a really cheap offset smoker to kind of try something new. I realize that I will probably be getting what I payed for so I don't expect it to have a "wow" effect.

I am a mechanic with fabrication skill so I'm sure modifications will happen :dex:. I have some oak, locust, ash, pine, cherry, mulberry, and maple in the stack. I will soon be taking down a copper beech as well. Let me know if any of these are a good option.

Any other ideas or things to try? What can I expect out of this thing? Are certain meats good even if only smoke a few hours? I'm just trying to get a feel for it. Thanks!

Char-Broil American Gourmet Offset Smoker, Standard https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00365FI9E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_66vFybPR821HH

NortheastAl and Eric VW like this.
  2. basod

basod

That'll work I smoke all kinds of tasty treats on an even cheaper barrel Charbroil (without offset).
    Oak has an OK flavor, white Oak is better when slightly green for subtle vanilla hues in the smoking process.
    Cherry pairs well with pork - just don't overdue it becomes bitter
    Mulberry is another nice flavor wood.

Keep the heat low sub 300F OK to overshoot a bit on reloads just dial it back after you get the hang of it
    You don't want to try and cook a piece of meat over one type of wood - use charcoal as a main heat source and add the smoke wood a small amount at a time.
    I did a rack of babybacks on 1 load of charcoal and two small hickory limbs for ~3hrs yesterday - fell off the bone and smoke flavor to perfection

3. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

^^^what he said. Use charcoal as primary heat. Don't ever use pine though. Stick to chunks of hardwood, especially fruit woods for the smoke.

Eric VW and basod like this.
  4. lukem

lukem

Skip the pine, ash, and locust. The rest are good to go.

Eric VW and OhioStihl like this.
  5. JA600L

JA600L

Thanks for the help guys. I guess the advantage of charcoal is that it keeps a more consistent heat?

My parents are taking down an English walnut tree soon. Is walnut any good for smoking?

I would also be able to steal coals from the woodstove during the winter to get things started.

6. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

Ive always smoked with hardwood as well, but I honestly have never been able to tell the difference in flavor.....maybe my tastes aren't as attuned, or my rub and sauce change it too much......mostly use red oak

7. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

Just take some time and browse the Smokehouse threads. Plenty of info, some of the info is legit. Beer might help with browsing.

basod and grandgourmand like this.
  8. basod

basod

Charcoal is your main heat - yes, not like trying to get a fire going or keep it modulated in a-non sealed grill, really hard to keep temperatures near steady with pure wood.

I've never tried walnut so can't speak for it smoking wise.
    Yes some coals from your stove will get things going in winter.
    If you dump your stove coals in a top covered can you can sift them with a milkcrate to obtain free charcoal in the spring - won't be like bought coal but it's free

NortheastAl and Eric VW like this.