In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New truck shopping

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Horkn, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Oldman47

Oldman47

My Y2K Chevy S-10 is still in good running condition and gives me about 25 MPG at 17 years old. My 2007 Civic is still my main transport in foul weather at 10 years old.
    So much for prudent use of older vehicles. My pride and joy that I use daily the year around is my 2013 Victory Vision motorcycle. I am a rider so all of that responsible stuff goes out the window when it comes to bikes. I do get good fuel mileage on the bike but I could have bought a 10 year old Goldwing for half of what I spent on that Vision. Sometimes you decide to splurge on a luxury and I did that on my Vision. At almost 70 years old it may just be my last bike so I take very good care of it. When it is 10 years old I might still be tempted by another bike, I do like to ride that much.

2. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I'm with you, Oldman!
    I still like toys, but a $60-70,000 truck just aint gonna happen...I looked at a couple used Megacab diesels that were still $59,000

Horkn, Oldman47, Thor and 3 others like this.
  3. Gary_602z

Gary_602z

Picking up a brand spanking new Chev. Silverado tomorrow!!:thumbs:
    My 03 runs perfectly fine with just over 300k on it, but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do!
    Going to keep the 03 for hauling wood and such.
    Wont the wife be surprised! This will be my first new vehicle for me since the mid 80's. Wife just bought a new Buick Envision a couple of months ago. Our insurance agent loves us.:D

Gary

Hammy, Stephiedoll, 94BULLITT and 6 others like this.
  4. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

Pictures!! and do tell, what model, color etc etc??

5. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Ugh, I so want a new GMC but I can't justify the cost. I have a company car, so it really makes it harder to justify. I forsee my wife getting a much nicer SUV in a few years when hers is due to be replaced so I can live vicariously through her.

My company car just rolled 80k, so I will likely be ordering a new one in the next few months, so hopefully that will take the edge off.

OhioStihl, Hammy, TurboDiesel and 2 others like this.
  6. Gary_602z

Gary_602z

Got it!:thumbs:
    20170824_182720.jpg

Gary

mikey517, Gasifier, MikeyB and 11 others like this.
  7. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

There's some nice deals to be had on the 17 Silverado's

Enjoy it!

Hammy, Horkn and Chvymn99 like this.
  8. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

so NICE! I like chev/GMC. Has it got all the bells and whistles?

Hammy, Horkn and Chvymn99 like this.
  9. Gary_602z

Gary_602z

It has a lot of them, not all of them tho!:D To much for my blood to get the top of the line.
    Gary

Thor, Hammy, eatonpcat and 5 others like this.
  10. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Same here.
    My truck sits for 4-7 days a week. Which is great. But I still need to tow and it's got to be dependable.

Thor, Hammy, Chvymn99 and 1 other person like this.
  11. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

damm Gary_602z that beast is beautiful!! Congrats on the new truck!

Thor, Hammy, Chvymn99 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Mine now only fires off if it's going to the dump, hardwaee store, or to pick up firewood. I need to stretch it's legs though. Last two weeks coming home from the dump it's seemed to be low on power. It's lugging bad on small inclines and I need to put my foot in it to get it to downshift where it should have plenty of power to spare usually.

Thor, Hammy and TurboDiesel like this.
  13. Horkn

Horkn

ok picking this up again. My new work has supplier pricing on ram and gm. I know we do a bit of work for ford too but no x plan yet that I see. we just also started a new mega deal with ford for the next 7 years on trucks, so I think if we don't have I will have to ask HR to ask for it. We are a tier 1 supplier. Its a big deal. FCA and GM's supplier sites are much better than fords.

The all new 2019 ram's are trickling in. 2018 fords are done being produced and I think are on year end clearance if not soon. no sign of the all new 2019 gm's yet. It doesn't seem like the f150's are getting much changes for 2019 from the 2018 models.

14. Hammy

Hammy

I have a 17 F150 sport and have been happy with it. I am not a car guy so it serves its purpose amd is decently appointed. It was the best deal by a long shot as I have a friend in the leasing business.

They are all nice trucks and well built from the limited research I have done. I would say take what you get the best price on if you like them all about the same. For me it was a big difference in price and I liked the looks and seats of the Ford a bit more. Wasn’t a hard decision.

15. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Dodge seems to have more problems after talking to dodge owners. My work Truck is a Ram. They all seem to have to have the fuel pump module replaces AFTER warranty . They seem to all go out between 30 and 75,000 miles. Not a huge deal but of I am paying $500 to 700/month on a truck to have to pay another $700 to fix the dang thing would make me:mad:. The mileage seems good, but honestly on par with the ford's of a similar era 2014 ford non Ecoboost vs my 2016 Ram v6. I like Chevy and ford and would probably be my first choice. The dodge feels cheap inside, and I absolutely hate the turn gear shift. I know people said you get use to it. Well I kind of have, as in I don't ghost shift the column anymore, but I will say it's the only vehicle I accidentally shut the truck off in gear repeatedly from time to time or try to shift by turning an AC knob or radio knob. This is after over 2 years and 40,000 miles in the truck.

Would I personally buy a Ram, ummmm I might if the money was a good bit cheaper than the others. I would prefer one of the other 2 and really a Tundra but seems their not in the same ball park money wise. But to be fair I personally don't have any experience with recent model full sizes other than random drives in them from time to time at work. I will say that the f150 that I borow when mine is down rides way better and it has more and rougher miles on it than my Ram. And it has not had any major issues over its 8 year life span that I remember.

This rambling message probably does not help much with your secession though.

16. KaptJaq

KaptJaq

I have a 2013 RAM 1500 Sport (1st year of the 2013-2018 design). I like the truck, the appointments, mileage, and room for 5 adults. Coil springs on all 4 wheels makes for a comfortable ride. Moves my firewood and other stuff well. An overfull load of red oak puts it down almost to the stops on the rear springs but I only go a couple of miles with that big of a load.

No major repairs yet. My only complaint was the quality of the original consumables (brake pads, struts, tires, etc.). FCA could have done better. Over the last 5 years I redid them and am happy with the truck.

I was looking at the '14 base model of the crew cab. Another dealer had this leftover '13 with a lot of bells and whistles. Offered me a good deal and an above book trade on my '02 Nissan Frontier standard crew. First dealer was doing all the salesman tricks (I have to ask my manager, let me have your license so we can talk {I didn't want to test drive the truck}, yes, that is the sticker price but it doesn't include these dealer options, your trade isn't worth book due to the age and nobody wants standard 5-speeds anymore, etc.). The price of the slightly leftover '13 with everything all-in was almost the same as the base '14.

I have been happy with '13 RAM both as a wood hauler and a passenger car.

KaptJaq

Chvymn99, eatonpcat, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  17. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

You really find the ride good?? My 2016 ram1500 rides terrible compared to a leaf sprung 2010 F150 that I sometimes ride at work...Comparing them today. The 150 with 75,000 miles and mine with 42000. I have the "off road package " basically a skid plate and "off road tires" but there good year wrangler commercial ones. They are load range E which is why I guess they lasted as long as they have but there at 42,000 and will see 50, maybe a tad more if I had them rotated awhile back so the rears were not as worn.

18. KaptJaq

KaptJaq

If the bed is totally empty the ride is a little bouncy and the rear tires spin/slide a little if you are not easy on the gas. With a little weight over the rear axle I like the ride and traction. During rain/snow season I usually keep a couple of bags of sand in the back of the bed. It both keeps the truck moving and comes in handy when somebody is stuck in snow or on ice. I don't like the liability of trying to tow them out but a shovel &/or a couple of handfuls of sand usually gets them moving

Leaf & coil springs are two different animals. If I was looking for a pure hauler I would have looked for leaf springs. Since I use it as a passenger car 75% of the time I like the coils.

KaptJaq

19. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

CD855515-88FF-43A5-B34A-844E209E0EE9.jpeg I have a 17 duramax midnight edition. Just over 12,000 miles in about 9 months. I have not had a single issue with this truck. Rides well empty, tows like a dream, and again there have been no issues. Just my take on it.

Chvymn99, Horkn, Hammy and 1 other person like this.
  20. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yea this work truck is ised on highway and to get me in and out of rhe woods between logging jobs. Its basically never loaded. I have hauled some wood a few times and it rode fine. Seemed to sagg an awful lot for the wood that was in it, but it was not much wood to me.

Horkn and Hammy like this.