In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New truck shopping

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Horkn, Mar 29, 2017.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Yes, it was a straight 6, had lots of gitty up and go!, but I had problems with the front drive line thing and and the entire steering column seized after like 8 months, and there were some major fuel problems too (sorry, it was 18 years ago, leased a 2000 model in 1999). Thank God I bought the full maintenance package that covered everything but the rental car windsheild insurance, if not I would have been fired it was in the shop so many months out of a 24 or 36 month lease. I was so tired of being stranded so many times in it that I parked it 6 months before my lease was up and got a refund on the mileage I did not use........

Isn't it crazy that it looks almost brand new in that 2017 photo? Just like it looked (minus the smoking vent things) in 1999.

AND, ya I should have done more research, but it was not real 4x4. Early Sept snowstorm, I drove down our main road to the barn (very steep) to feed the llamas and sweep the snow off the 8' analog tv dish and got stuck on the way back up the hill, neighbor stopped to show his dismay that I was in the way and asked where WWW was. UMMMM, well, he was hunting in Wyoming (we lived in Colorado then). What an azzhole. Anyway I was a bit stressed and got out of the jeep to talk to him and forgot the jeep in one of the drive gears-realized it while getting out and looked :picard: only the damm front left tire was turning and rear right tire was turning while engaged in "4x4" :headbang: Even my 1987 Dodge Colt Vista Wagon imported by Plymouth and engine by Mitsubishi would engage all 4 wheels. Same road, similar snow storms over 20 years, NEVER got stuck in the Colt or Blazer or the Trooper, just that freekin Jeep. I could even make it up that hill rapped out in 2nd in my old rwd Supra because I could fishtail the last turn regardless of the depth of snow, it just flew over the top....

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  2. chris

chris

i do not think any of the big three make a solid 4wheel drive its all limited slip units- which is exactly what they do one side slips and there other does nothing

Horkn, Hammy and wildwest like this.
  3. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Open diffs. Surprised they weren't limited slip. Some of those if you put in 4 low will lock the front. That's how the 07 Dakota worked when I drove it.

My uncle then cousin had one just like that it was red and the paint on it was good to. They almost never washed or cared for it. It had 300 000 ish mikes when they sold it or 275 or something . A few years ago it was still on the road, I think they thought it could be close to 400k

Horkn, Hammy and wildwest like this.
  4. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

wildwest wow that pic of the Jeep was impressive... would not have quarter or rocker panels here... salt is bad enough... the new brine has calcium chloride .. gets sprayed on roads wet and eats metal... all because people complained cause roads were not clear of snow and ice... no duh it's winter:headbang:

Horkn, Hammy, MasterMech and 3 others like this.
  5. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

They spray that liquid stuff here with threat of ice. I won't drive my old truck till several heavy rains after and it's washed off. I try to wash all the cars off ASAP after its application and when driving in the rain just after

Horkn, Hammy, wildwest and 1 other person like this.
  6. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Not really an option up here if you need a truck!

Horkn, Hammy, wildwest and 1 other person like this.
  7. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I know, that's why I can have a 37 year old truck with only the rust that trucks thag age get from leaky interiors or places where mud builds up in the wheel wells or just normal surface stuff and seams.

No fenders falling off, gas tanks falling out or frames rusted through.

mikey517, Horkn, Chvymn99 and 4 others like this.
  8. chris

chris

Suffered though all of those calamities over the years.

9. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Looks like I'll be doing some test driving this weekend... trying to narrow down the engine choices... as my Ranger is back in the shop...

Horkn, MasterMech, wildwest and 4 others like this.
  10. Horkn

Horkn

Oh they are out there. The electronic electronically engaged ones work well.

wildwest , there were like 4 different 4wd versions on the xj Cherokee. Some were better than others. It also depended on what setting you had the transfer case in.

clemsonfor, Chvymn99 and wildwest like this.
  11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

wildwest , there were like 4 different 4wd versions on the xj Cherokee. Some were better than others. It also depended on what setting you had the transfer case in.[/QUOTE]Thanks Horkn, I know better now. My 2007 Suzuki did better though the clearance was similar in high snow. Not sure about the Jeep, tried alot of different combinations while frustrated kwim? Operator error happens :eek:

:rofl: :lol:

Guess I need old lock in hubs and floor transfer case like on my ol blaze to avoid getting stuck.

Horkn and clemsonfor like this.
  12. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Thanks Horkn, I know better now. My 2007 Suzuki did better though the clearance was similar in high snow. Not sure about the Jeep, tried alot of different combinations while frustrated kwim? Operator error happens :eek:

:rofl: :lol:

Guess I need old lock in hubs and floor transfer case like on my ol blaze to avoid getting stuck.[/QUOTE]
    I have manual locking hubs and a floor shifted 205 transfer case on the floor, but I still have open diffs and will spin one tire on each axle. It's also about the axle setup

Chvymn99 and Horkn like this.
  13. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Well just got back got a late start with the rain today... I ended up driving a 3.5 L eco with the 10 speed & a 2017 with a 5L V8 and 6 speed transmission... I was really impressed with the 3.5 and the 10 speed. Darn that thing seems smooth silk like, and ultra quite. It was pretty impressive transmission, I will say that. The 5L I just wasn't really impressed with. It might have been the XLT package that I test drove. But it just didn't impress me. It did sound pretty good :D... it had pretty good pick up and go, but not what I was expecting... from my memory my '04 5.3L seemed to have more pick up and go...

So I was razing him about the moonroof option. They had a 2015 3.5L with low mileage... so off we went. It wasn't what the 2017 3.5L was, especially in the transmission, but it made me smile... so after working the deal. I drove it home...

I might have to change my screen name... :whistle:....

14. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

yea haven't yoy had several ford's but name chevy?

15. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Congratulations Chvymn99! We need to see some pics of the truck.

16. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

^^^ times 2 :ithappened:

Hammy, Horkn, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  17. Horkn

Horkn

Chvymn99 , yeah I really think that 10 speed is the perfect Auto tranny.

Congrats on the new ride!

I'm surprised that you thought a 5.3 has more grunt than the current 5.0 yote. Even in the current ecotec trim and an 8spd upgrade tranny the 5.3 is down considerably on hp and tq compared to the yote.

Hammy and Chvymn99 like this.
  18. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

I know the trans programming on my 13 makes my 5.3 feel like a slug. There is some power there, evidenced by how well it drags trailers up hills, but around town it feels like you are driving a school bus unless you throw it in tow/haul.

His old '04 he mentioned tho would have been a 4spd. (4L65E?) and it might have pre-dated the FADEC engine controls that are so ubiquitous now. I kinda miss throttle cables. My trucks computer thinks it knows what I want. :doh:

19. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Is that the wife's ride? I was thinking you had like a 15 or 16 Silverado

Hammy and Horkn like this.
  20. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Nope. '13. She's rocking a '13 Honda Odyssey mini-van.

Hammy and Chvymn99 like this.