In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New truck shopping

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Horkn, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Horkn

Horkn

So, it looks like I will finally be getting a truck this year. I don't do anything without a bunch of research.

I've had SUVs and cars, I've just never owned a truck myself.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to an f150 supercrew 4x4. I'll probably wait for the 2018's to come out in Fall because I like the 2018 nose better than the current one, plus the 10 speed auto transmission is a very well built piece that helps with mpg increases and acceleration. In the 2017's you can only get the 10 SPD in the 3.5 ecoboost. Also 2018's will have more HP and TQ in the 2.7 EB and 5.0 to go with the 10 SPD.

I'm pretty sure I want the 2.7 ecoboost, because they are getting mid 20's for mpg in a crew 4x4. That's with the current 6 SPD auto. I do need to test drive the 5.0 v8, as well as the 3.5 ecoboost to compare to the 2.7 ecoboost v6.

I tow, but usually a small trailer, or at most my 3000 lb ski nautique. That said, the tow rating on the 2.7 is no slouch anyways. Currently the 2.7 with twin hairdryers has 325 HP and 375 tq. Most that blind test drive the 2.7 vs the 3.5 ecoboosts pick the 2.7 as the faster/ quicker of them.

I'd more than likely just put a hard tonneau cover on the bed.

I looked at quite a few last night, but didn't get to test drive any, because I had to call my dad for his birthday.
    I did find that in order to get my heated steering wheel that I enjoy so much on my Audi allroad, that I need to get the 502 option group. I want the fx4 off road package, for skid plates, and the big double moon roof, and leather with the console shift, not column shift.

Now, I need to see if I can get all that on an XLT, without having to get a lariat or platinum with a bunch of crap I don't want. I know I'll have to order mine up, because I'm not paying 400 for a 36 gallon tank, or the trailer assist package. I'm more than capable of backing my trailer up by myself.

I do like gadgets and gizmos though.

2. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

Best of luck. The research is fun and my wife just rolls her eyes when I'm in full research mode. It sounds like you know what you want and what you don't. A good friend of mine had a f150 and liked it till it came time for a oil change. It was a royal PIA. They all are anymore I suppose.

I would pay extra for a backup camera and a larger fuel tank. Hell, I want a longer bed too. It never stops.

3. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

You will come home with a Platinum, Lariat or King Ranch IMHO. I am jealous Bro, enjoy the research, shopping and in the end the Badazz Ford!!

4. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

This is fantastic! I love truck looking but I'm not going to spend any of my money. My vote is the King Ranch, I like the dark leather.

5. Horkn

Horkn

The backup camera is standard on the models I'm looking at. Longer bed? I have to get the 5.5' as the 6.5' bed option won't fit in the garage with the supercrew. I measured;)

I really don't know what I want for the motor, if the mpg with the new 5.0 goes up a bit with the 10 sp, it's in play. I've always been a v8 guy. I passed on the base 2.7 twin turbo motor in my allroad for a 4.2 40v v8, despite having to really search hard for one as there were only 800 made in the 2 years they were an option.

The oil change looks pretty easy on the 2.7 ecoboost. The oil filter is on top, cartridge style. You did remind me to look to see if it's a pita to drain with the skid plates.

The 2.7EB is a small amount for an upcharge on to XLT $800 iirc, the 3.5 EB is $2000, and the 5.0 v8 is $1600.

There's a reason the 2.7EB is the top selling motor in the f150 since it came out in 2015.

I'm a fan of the alloy body. I hate rust.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  6. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, I'll probably end up in a lariat, king ranch, or platinum. I don't mind all the extra stuff I don't want to pay for, but if I can get that stuff for a discount, then yes, I'll take it and use it.

The trailer backup self driving thing, I'll probably let the wife use that. ;)

I know that the biggest savings come from buying extra loaded versions.

One thing I get a kick out of though is the transmission "option" on the 3.5 EB. The window sticker lists the 10 sp as an option, and has a price on it too, when that is the only transmission available on it. It's not like you can get it, or any f150 in stick. I think that's silly to list it that way.

7. tamarack

tamarack

Those f150s are tougher than you think. I work at an excavation co and not long ago my boss used his 2016 ecoboost to tow a broke down empty dump truck about 45 miles. The first 10 miles was on a gravel road with a few hills on it, the rest was pavement. He has also pulled some heavy loads in a 2 axle big tex brand dump trailer, i think in a 1/2 ton pickup ford wins the toughness award, ive seen many people abuse them and they still run.

8. Horkn

Horkn

Yeah, I'm really not needing it to do much more than a midsize truck can and will do. It's nice to know I'm not going to be overworking it, and also that it's got a lot more in reserve for capability.

9. foxvally

foxvally

I have a 2015 F150 with the 2.7 ecoboost. It is the best pickup truck I have owned. In one year I drove 18000 miles and averaged 25.2 mpg ,not to bad for a 4x4.

10. Oldman47

Oldman47

I love you guys looking at the F150s. I own some Ford stock and think you are among the many that make that stock worth owning. My own pickup is a y2k Chevy S-10. It has only a shorter bed and no fancy extras but it serves my needs and has paid for itself a long time ago. When I drove it regularly, when it was new, I averaged about 25 mpg. Now most of my miles are on my motorcycle at about 38 mpg, so a big difference that helps keep me on the bike.

11. Bgoathill

Bgoathill

I love my F-350 Super Duty with a Powerstroke. I want a truck that will do everything I ask of it and more. Plus if I ever tangle with anything less than a Peterbilt, I'm pretty sure I'm coming out on top. If I wanted ride quality I would have got an Escalade, and if I was worried about mpg I would have got a Prius.

12. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

So I go to pick up my rental car for the next four days and they give me a choice, 2017 Ford Focus or 2017 F150. Duh-uh!!:thumbs:

3.5L EcoBoost XLT 4x4 Crew

13. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Great thread Horkn, OK you've decided on ford.. was this for aluminum body? did you consider other brands? not knocking ford, just curious.. when you figure it all out get it drive it for a few months tell us what ya think.. I will save myself a lot of time researching and go test drive one:yes:

14. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

I think he likes the fuel economy of the EcoBoost too. ;)

15. ironpony

ironpony

i am going to buy a "truck" but I can only get a 5.5' bed .....why buy a "truck"?????
    the reason for buying a truck is to haul stuff........

16. Screwloose

Screwloose

My thoughts exactly.......Factor in stretching out the garage.

17. Horkn

Horkn

It's still a truck. Even with a short bed.

Yes, I like the alloy body, but MasterMech is right, the mpg is much better than my Audi.

Also, we've had a lot of different cars over the years in my family. Ford's have all been very good to us. I do need to look at the 4.6 powered yota tundra as well, but I went to the auto show, and wanted to like the new Nissan Titan, it's just too ugly and only option is the gas sucker 5.6 v8 and an inefficent auto tranny.

18. Screwloose

Screwloose

Didju buy the extra insurance ????...... Bring it back on a rollback !!

19. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

How do you feel about corrosion? :D ;)
    It will be interesting how the aluminum holds up long term in the real world...

20. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

Ive had all of the major truck brands over the course of my lifetime. And to be honest and can't say anything bad about any of them.

Only difference from what you are looking for and what I drive is diesel engines. I've had the cummins, power stroke and now the
    duramax. I've only had one 1/2 ton pickup and it was a dodge with a hemi, awesome engine!, the rest have all been 3/4 or 1 tons with diesels.

Good luck with with what looks like to be a Ford purchase in 2018...