In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New Member with Buck 74

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Born2Burn, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Oldman47

Oldman47

You need to get it up and burning, maybe at night with all the windows open, to get it broken in. Otherwise it will smoke you out of the house when you first need it for heat. The owner's manual should tell you how big a fire and how long as you start to break it in.

Born2Burn and brenndatomu like this.
  2. Joe Seaton

Joe Seaton

I will second that. Light your first few fires when its not to terrible cold outside that way you can get the paint burned in propeely and open some windows. Trust me, you will definitely need to have the windows open. It took about 3 progeessively hotter fires to cure mine. Even still after 2 years, occasionally we will have the paint smell if we have a super hot fire.

Born2Burn likes this.
  3. yooperdave

yooperdave

:yes:

4. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

Almost there. Just needs grouted.

I think I will take your advice, and be impatient, and start a little fire or 3 to break her in

Attached Files:

FatBoy85, yooperdave and Oldman47 like this.
  5. Oldman47

Oldman47

Nice hearth area. I see you are set up to mount a mantel too.

6. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

Yes. Haven't decided what to go with yet. I have the original solid cherry 16"x8' mantel but it's slightly warped and full of nail holes and chips. Thought about a barn beam, or maybe a live edge piece of timber but I'm not sure they would go with the house.

Ignore the paint color on the walls. Thinking of painting the room some kind of green. The room has original coved plaster ceilings and red/white oak wood flooring. Unfortunately my budget is only going to allow me to trim the room out with pine trim.

Joe Seaton likes this.
  7. Joe Seaton

Joe Seaton

Personally, I really like the look of pine trim on the doors and base. About 20 years ago, I answered an alarm call for the owner of a log cabin building business. In his garage was several scrap pine beams that were about 8x16 in size. I asked him wht he was gonna do with them. Long story short, he gave me one that was 10ft long for my mantle piece. Even offered to pay, and that was a no go on that also. He cut it to length and even loaded it for me. Great guy and it made a great mantle.

8. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

She's in!

Couldn't help but light a small small fire this morning to check the draft. It will be the first if many "starter" fires. Didn't even get it hot enough to smell paint. My goal was to see how well the chimney would pull and it worked great!! With a cold chimney, I was able to open the door with a real Smokey fire and all of the smoke was nicely rolling back in textbook style. Once I get a good hot chimney, it will be even better if that is even possible.

All in all I'm really happy with my setup so far. Nice big hearth, solid as heck. I could probably bring in a 14" log and throw it down on it with no issues

My new mantle idea is maybe a simple dimensional 2x12 or 2x14 pine board possibly/probably rough sawn. I'm not trying to bash anyone that has a barn beam mantle, but in my house I just think it would look too "fake" - as in I'm trying too hard to be rustic. My style is to do it like they would have in 1850 and let it be rustic. Hard to explain I guess but it all personal preference.

By the way, I'm sitting 9" off the wall and I have 26" from the very most front of the burner to the edge of the hearth.

Attached Files:

9. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Looks very nice. Can't wait for some cold weather, huh?

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

10. Joe Seaton

Joe Seaton

Man that looks great. I ran a new outlet close to my stove and the cord that came on the blower was still too short. I had to get a longer cord and swap it out. Don't be alarmed if yours is that way also. The cord on mine was maybe 3ft if even that. Simple to do. I didnt want to use an extension cord, however, I am positive that one would work fine.

11. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

It's the high today was 72 and the low tonight is 52. My house was 66 when I got home from work. It was a bit chilly inside after a popsicle. Better light a fire to take off the edge.

Attached Files:

blacksmith, HDRock, FatBoy85 and 6 others like this.
  12. Joe Seaton

Joe Seaton

I felt the same way as you. I was looking for any reason at all to start my new stove. I just got a good look at your brick. I really like those old world tumbled brick. They look great. Thats a great setup.

Locust Post likes this.
  13. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Oh! you didn't light a fire for 66 degrees?!? o_O

blacksmith and Locust Post like this.
  14. Locust Post

Locust Post

That's why they make screens for the window.....:smoke:

moresnow, blacksmith, HDRock and 4 others like this.
  15. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

Buck 74 meet your baby brother bear Fisher.

It's busy work keeping up with 2 stoves! Big snow storm forcasted for tonight with cold temps to follow. I'm ready!!

Attached Files: