In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New large addition, need new larger wood stove.

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Ademero, May 20, 2017.

1. Ademero

Ademero

Hi guys, I currently have a Drolet Escape 1800 that was installed in the mudroom. Bigger family and we are adding a 20x76 addition along the side of our newer mobile home. The Escape wont be able to keep up with 2700 sqft in -40 weather.

Looking for recommendations on a stove. Want to cut my wood longer 16+ inch's and still be able to load North South.

2. Highbeam

Highbeam

2700 sf is big and -40 is cold. You will certainly be able to use the biggest stove from any brand. Do you want cat or noncat? What's your budget? Do you care what it looks like?

3. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

what Highbeam said.... and make sure you insulate to the max... what brands serviced in your area? what is your current chimney size type? some of bigger stoves require 8 instead of 6 inch flues.. budget? assuming because of numbers your attaching to an about 16 by 76 mobile... what is placement in current setup.. how well does it get heat to farthest point? only source of heat? and where are

Backwoods Savage and papadave like this.
  4. Ademero

Ademero

The original spot for the stove is gone (was in 12x12 mudroom on side of house) so will be a new chimney install. Mobile home is 16x76 and 5 years old so has high insulation already and addition will be the same. Both sides have vaulted ceiling with several open area's between the two. It heated the house ok, had to keep the stove going steady when it was that cold to keep 70' in the house. Burning aspen only. Alternate source of heat is 2 forced air electric furnaces.

Want a good stove, doesn't have to be fancy looking - a glass window door would be nice. Has to be Mobile Home Approved. Biggest want would be long north-south loading so I dont have to cut 12" pieces. Old one was non cat, but willing to try cat. Would like to be 6k or less including chimney.

I uploaded a blue print of house, bottom is the addition and stove will be in the living room on that side. house.jpg

5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

A challenge but not impossible to heat. Whatever you get, it needs to be big. Also it could help if you had some harder wood for night time burning.

I've guess you paid somewhere near a grand for the droplet but would recommend you think about double that amount for a new stove that could do a good job of heating. The amount of btu is very important but even more important is burn time. For example, what good would a 95,000 btu stove be if it could cook only at, say 65,000 for 6 hours? You need something that could average more than that for up to 10-12 hours.

If it were me, I'd start looking at the Woodstock Ideal Steel or Progress. Another would be the Blaze King models. Personally, I like the soapstone and cast iron stoves the best as you get a more radiant heat with these so need less air movement in the house. This could be a blessing in your home. Good luck.

6. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

OK I would look at blaze king King... Woodstock (I have one and love it.. great company) maybe a regency 5100.. depending on what your likes are..

I personally know Woodstock Ideal Steel can heat that square footage with vaulted ceilings at those Temps and also be loaded 16 inch wood north and south with a glass window.. for about $2200 plus shipping.. good luck and keep us posted!:yes:

7. Highbeam

Highbeam

Do you intend, ignoring emergencies, to heat 100% with wood? Or is your wood burning just to reduce the power bill and for part time enjoyment?

Most big stoves use 16"+ wood and lots of good ones allow straight in n/s loading.

If you're shooting for full time wood heat, how long of a stretch is there when you can't load it like when you're sleeping or away from work?

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  8. Ademero

Ademero

Wood like to heat full time when its really cold out. Help reduce electricity costs. Wife is usually home all day. At night I would usually load it up and redo in the morning. Furnace was always set to 66'f to come on if needed.

On my property tdont have any hardwoods would have to buy

fox9988 and Backwoods Savage like this.
  9. Ademero

Ademero

That blaze king king looks good. It says max log length 23". Anyone know is that n/s or just e/w

10. Highbeam

Highbeam

If it were my house, I would install a king because long burn times and constant output are very important. Note that it requires 15' of 8"flue height. No other cat stove has such a huge fuel tank so you can fill it with aspen and get very long burn times.

Nothing wrong with burning low btu wood. Just let it dry first. I believe 23 is the width but hardly anybody burns e/w. It will take 16+ straight in.

11. Ademero

Ademero

Guess i shouldnt be cutting 20" lol

12. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Also consider if you want a cat stove.

13. intheBigWoods

intheBigWoods

I have a Regency F 3500, it will take 20" n/s or e/w. 20 1/2" won't fit. I cut my wood to 18". The Regency 5100 is even bigger needs an 8" flue, they are great, highly recommended.

14. Highbeam

Highbeam

I should clarify, the king will take more than 16" long wood straight in so it meets your specifications but I don't know if it will take a 20". I've cut some aspen. Nice long, straight logs with minimal branches.

15. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Boy this seems exciting to choose something new and more likely to be efficient and effective. Like Backwoods Savage said, those harder woods would likely help you for those burn times you need for longer. Since your wife is often home, she could likely get a better sense of how the heat will be needed. One person in the home for most of the day doesn't necessarily need a super warm house, but then as everyone comes home and then day gets shorter then you're going to want that heat to stick around. With aspen, loading often?
    Hardwood will fix that. I don't burn inside yet but ive burned enough in firepits to know that with the right wood, coals stick around and get a nice ember fire rather than super big flames. The longevity of that will pay off. Hope you can swing it.

16. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

bogydave .... has a King I believe... and should be able to help you with some questions...

17. Ademero

Ademero

Aspen is plentiful here, I have some oak here but not many or very big. Aspen is better than spruce as it leaves coals for restart but is has lots of fine ash. And builds up in stove fast.

Wonder if the fine ash would be an issue for the catalyst

18. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I was reading on the forum here about those who have the catalyst stoves. They were talking about how the cat has to be cleaned somehow then replaced in its spot. Id seek out backwoods savage if I were you. He may know what's up.

19. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I can't speak for BK kings maybe Highbeam can answer that... I have a catalyst stove.. yes the fine white ash (fly ash) needs to be vacuumed out every couple of weeks.. is it a pain (yes and no) ya got to do it it closes the air flow like an air filter on a car... takes me 2 minutes costs no money and can be done warm on my stove.. meaning at end of burn before I fill it back up.. or bobdog2o02 it think has a king..

20. Highbeam

Highbeam

The BKs, especially with the ceramic cat like the king should come with, are not sensitive to ash cloggage. Whether it's the location of the cat, the orientation, the flame shield, or the cat only low air flows, the cats almost never clog with ash. Plenty of them are out there and almost never clog. Both brands of cat stove represented here have easily accessible cat elements so vacuuming off any accumulation is a no-tools, warm stove, affair if it should occur. Don't worry about this issue.

The BK king will be your best friend for a high ash wood like aspen because it has a gigantic firebox and if the bottom 30% of it is full of ash then you still have nearly 3 cubic feet of firebox for heat. More importantly, the King has a "belly" that is 9" deep below the loading door so you can let a crap ton of ash accumulate before it starts to come close to the bottom of the loading door. That's a LOT of ash.

Some of the woodstocks have ash pans but I'm not sure how much they hold.