In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New Hauler!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by amateur cutter, Oct 18, 2017.

1. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Finally got the new to me truck set up & hooked up. 1996 F250 Power stroke from California. No rust & real tight. Though you folks might like a couple pics. Here ya go.

IMAG0407.jpg IMAG0408.jpg

Z-man, J. Dirt, M2theB and 34 others like this.
  2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Sweet, but can't you at least paint some rust spots on it?! :rofl: :lol:

3. RI Dan

RI Dan

Nice rig!!! That truck will bring you years of service. Congrats. Look forward to seeing it hauling rounds and splits.

4. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Thanks Dan, I'm looking forward to pulling with it. I've got a pretty decent K2500 Suburban with a 7.4L that does well, but nothing like a Diesel for the big loads. Truck came up for sale & I snagged it. Never been in salt, & 170K it oughta go for a while.

5. Locust Post

Locust Post

Sweet, I love Ford trucks. Can I ask how you found it in California or did someone bring it to sell in your area ? I am going to be looking for something like this at some point. My 1989 F150 is still pretty solid but I like to keep my eyes open.

6. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Helps when driving....:whistle:
    :rofl: :lol:
    :yes:

Great hauler, amateur cutter :)

7. Locust Post

Locust Post

Yes it does my friend......since you chimed in I will say it has crossed my mind that when I am in the market for sure to ask someone like you from the southern states to look around a bit. Mind you I said I would ask, it would have to be something you would be open to.

8. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

No prob, LP-
    But I live in a salt spreading kinda place, so a little further south would be more gooder....say, like where MasterMech is now...:thumbs:

9. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Son found it here in MI. Grandmother of a guy he works with. Sadly Grandpa passed away & She move here to be with family. They pulled their travel trailer with it. She brought it here from CA a couple months back. It's never seen salt. I just got lucky that day LOL.

J. Dirt, Chvymn99, VOLKEVIN and 7 others like this.
  10. HDRock

HDRock

Sweet man, that sure is a clean lookin truck , congrats :thumbs:
    Who better to keep it in top shape :yes:

11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

That's the way to do it amateur cutter ! :yes: My buddy had that exact same truck, only it had the white 2 tone down the side.
    I bought my '03 F250 much the same way...the guy moved up here from Fla. and wanted to upgrade to a diesel dually...it spent 6 weeks in Ohio winter before I snagged it...no rust underneath at all...just some Florida sun baked hood and roof paint...need to find somebody to paint that one of these days...

12. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Thanks Ed. I think she's gonna stay on firewood duty only. I won't run it in the salt, usually when I cut in the winter it's pretty dry on the roads. That truck is too clean to worry about it rotting away, I've got other ones for that LOL.

13. walt

walt

Nice truck Adam, look forward to seeing it next spring.

14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I highly recommend oil spraying that baby...it works great, and is not expensive at all...we have a local guy that does it for $40...does a nice job too, uses oil that is made for this purpose. Mine '03 went in right away.
    The only issue is the dripping for a week or two...no problem on a gravel drive though...or if you have some dirt roads to run on right away, the dust tends to "soak in" to the oil which helps limit the dripping and makes a nice protective "grease" layer on everything...it can make things a lil messy to work on, but much better than working on a rusty/crusty pile...

15. HDRock

HDRock

You could test out the whole set up when ya get the dump trailer full of :woodsign: and bring it out here 32.gif :D;)

16. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Yep, that's coming next. I've got a sprayer setup to do just that. Messy business though, I put plastic down on the floor under the hoist & spray away. Oil & Diesel mix is what I use. Works well, but it is messy. I've got 4 of my own vehicles to do, so it takes a bit. If someone here did it for that price, I'd pay em in a second LOL.

17. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

I'll run you a load of logs if you like, I've got trees coming out my ears. Oak, Maple, or Cherry? You get to buck & split. I can get just north of a logger cord in that trailer.

Chvymn99, VOLKEVIN, HDRock and 2 others like this.
  18. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Nice heavy duty hauler :yes:

You dilivering log loads now ? :)
    Load of Oak here :D

Chvymn99, VOLKEVIN, HDRock and 2 others like this.
  19. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

nice score! Those trucks are only increasing in value. Back 14 years ago I bought a 1997 crew cab long bed F-350 that had a salvage title and fixed it. A truck as clean as that one was with a clean title was going for 15K back then. Today, those trucks are STILL selling for the same amount, but with a lot more miles!

I love the old 7.3's, Ive owned a few, and driven more Powerstroke wreckers than I can count. Totally dependable, just a little low on power. But that can be fixed with a tuner. I never tuned any of mine though, no desire to cause any premature transmission death.

20. yooperdave

yooperdave

A truck that old just doesn't look right without the results of the iron moths!!