In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Neighbors helping neighbors

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Backwoods Savage, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Saving firewood. This is a good thing.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Aug. 19, 2015

Contact: Celeste Chingwa, 906-249-1497 or John Pepin, 906-226-1352

DNR sends 17 firefighters to help battle blazes in 5 western states

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources has sent 17 firefighters to help battle wildfires in California, Washington, Idaho, Montana and Oregon.

The firefighters serve in various capacities as part of incident management teams, including fire-line management, public information responsibilities, and heavy equipment bosses and operators.

Seven of the 17 firefighters are from Upper Peninsula DNR offices, while the remaining 10 are from offices in lower Michigan. Six of these employees are manning two fire engines, which were sent from Michigan to Montana Tuesday.

“Cooperative efforts are key to protecting people, property and resources statewide as well as nationally,” said Paul Kollmeyer, DNR resource protection section manager. “We are proud that our firefighters have the necessary skills to assist with emergency situations in other states.”

Kollmeyer said that while DNR firefighters are providing assistance out west, Michigan remains staffed in the event an incident should start here at home.

Because of Michigan’s national cooperative agreement, the DNR received fire-suppression assistance from other states, federal agencies and the Great Lakes Forest Fire Compact during critical incidents.

Last month, the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources sent firefighters to help Michigan DNR and local volunteer fire departments battle the County Road 601 fire that blackened 80 acres in Marquette County.

Earlier in July, 14 firefighters from the Michigan DNR were sent to Alaska and Manitoba to help aid fire suppression efforts.

The DNR will continue to provide assistance to the national fire efforts while fire conditions remain critical. When sent on out-of-state assignments, the state of Michigan is fully reimbursed for all costs associated with the support.

So far this year, the DNR has provided suppression on 318 wildfires in Michigan, which burned 2,873 acres.

2. tamarack

tamarack

All of us who live in the pnw truly appreciate the folks from the midwest and other parts of the country coming out to fight fire. This is a bad fire season and is far from over. As bad as conditions are there are some truly brave people on the lines of these wildland fires.

3. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

A group NJFFS trucks just arrived in Oregon to help!

4. bocefus78

bocefus78

Just found out today indiana has 10 dnr officers on their way also. Possibly already there...I got almost no info.

Stay safe peeps. If in doubt, GTFO!

5. Fred H.

Fred H.

In my younger days , use to be a Volunteer Firefighter / EMT here in Southern Oregon . At the time Fire District #9 was the 6th largest Fire district in the State of Oregon and other than the Chief , a Secretary and Mainteneance guy , Every one Else was Volunteer . Mutual Aid was Very predominant here back then , BUT it was usually Us here in Fire District #9 that were going else were to Help others rather than them helping Us , ( Go Figure :confused: ) .

I was raised that way . Helping neighbors , etc... , BUT You can only Lead a Horse to Water , You cannot make them Drink . My meaning there is that , In multiple cases that I have read incident reports on , What started obviously as a small fire , grew to a larger fire due mostly to a lack of adequate equipment / personnel on scene and this was attributed to Attitude of On Scene Personnel . " Oh , We can Handle it " quickly becomes " Oh Sh** !! " in very short order .

Years back , The Hull Mountain Fire in Southern Oregon could of been stopped likely at less than 10 acres if on scene personnel had Not Turned back the Mutual aid personnel and Equipment that was rapidly approaching the scene BUT their Cocky on scene officer said the Fateful words " Can Handle " over the radio :headbang: . Several weeks later , at more than 80,000 acres and 1 Firefighter death , that fire was finally contained . :(

I Appreciate All that come from were ever to help , at the same time though , I no longer rely on even Our local fire District to protect My place . At my age , I have been let down by to many people to to put My Faith in them to be there if I need Help , Thus I always plan on Not needing any .

Fred H.

6. Fred H.

Fred H.

Was going to Edit Above but Apparently I suck at computer works , Guess I will have my 4 y.o. Grandson look at it for me :faint:

Should be 8,000 acres not 80,000 .

Also , Our new neighbor had a similar Madrone log pile like Ours . He got it all cut up and a few weeks ago , I could hear him Manually Splitting the rounds ! :eek:

Walked out to Our fence and Asked him if he would like to use my splitter ? Only take me a couple of minutes to hook it to the New Holland and snake it over .

" Nah , Takes all the Fun out of it " !! o_O ( Madrone / Laurel is a hardwood like oak , Can be a little trying to do with a maul . Has a nasty habit of

exploding / popping apart with a high velocity when splitting with a hydraulic splitter thus I always go vertical with splitter ) .

Not sure what He Does for Excitement , But I doubt I will be hanging out with him . :D

Fred H.

7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Fred, I think you have only a little time when you can edit so don't be too hard on yourself.

8. Flatlander Pete

Flatlander Pete

Fred, is it a pride thing? They don't want to accept help because they're firefighters and it's their turf? If so, tha't too bad!:picard: I do admit it's a great feeling of accomplishment to take care of things on your own if you can, but I couldn't imagine risking someone elses life and/or tens of thousands of acres of land to selfish pride. Am I misunderstanding? I f I am I apologize in advance?.?.

I just googled Madrone trees also. If you've got too much of it feel free to bring a semi load to Illinois! Looks like great wood. High BTU's and low ash!:thumbs:

Fred H., wildwest and Jack Straw like this.
  9. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Someone here had fire recently (wish I could remember who!). He assisted in squelching the fire and loaned his saws out to the responders. And, the High Park Fire in Colorado should have been acted on sooner too, though I don't think mutual aid was offered until after is out of control....

Fred H. likes this.