In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Need some help.

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by FatBoy85, Mar 13, 2017.

1. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

So I was recommended by a good member here to talk woodstoves. I need to pick a better way to get my heat bill way down so any help would be wonderful. Honestly If I can rely on heat 75 percent of the time, I can really help keep the bill to a minimum. The house is over 700 sq feet not counting the garage. Closer to 1000 in that regard. I have an existing chimney that was for an oil furnace. Is this any good? I read some stuff about chimneys being lined so a wood stove can be accommodated but not always pass the test.

Frankly Im ok with spending some reserves now so Im less likely to bite the bullet later. (Should ask if some chimney professional can take a look around and see if its doable at least!!)

Talk about a tight budget... I live in Lakewood WA so EPA STOVES are a must. Ive read that a check on the chimney can make or break the decision but I'd really would like to take the summer to do this and get someone to do the rest of the difficult work. The wall that exists where the chimney is is just drywall cover. Ive been up on the roof to see the chimney and in the crawl space. It doesn't seem out of place or damaged. Help a guy out? Finding the wood around here isn't a problem. Just need the stove to burn it. Thanks in advance!!!!

2. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

My first year I spent
    $800 on my used Fireview
    $1000 on lining the flue
    $800 on wood. (Enough for 2 years)
    My $2600 investment was well worth it. I feel I broke even in the first year with HHO at $3.59/gal in 2013.

It shouldn't take much stove to heat your 700 sq ft.
    You'll definitely need to line the flue.
    A Fireview would make plenty of heat, but they are pricey at $ 2800 iirc. The Absolute hybrid would be a great choice also at $2200.

3. Oldman47

Oldman47

If that chimney is a double wall at least 6 inches diameter it might possibly work but most oil furnace chimneys are not rated for wood burning. I would definitely get the opinion of a local professional before making plans to use that chimney. For an existing house the chimney install can cost as much as the stove because of having to work up a path from the stove through the roof.

4. yooperdave

yooperdave

Is your existing chimney masonry?
    If so, does it have a clay liner all throughout it?
    Is it currently being used?

This is the time of year that Home Depot usually discounts their wood stoves and it looks like some have started already. May be an ideal time to pick one up as all you have to do is enter a different store number into the home depot web page and then purchase it.

5. papadave

papadave

Get the flue system checked for soundness.
    Start getting firewood now, if you haven't already.
    You could probably heat that place with an Englander 13NC.
    How's the insulation in the house? Improving that will make the job of heating and cooling the house much easier.

6. BCB

BCB

I broke even quickly in 2009 when I installed my regency insert. Paid $600 used, $1200 for the insulated liner and started collecting wood in advance so that was free. We were paying the oil man about $600 every 5-6 weeks during our first winter at that house in 2008. After the instal and adding insulation I think he made 3 visits total between 2009 and 2015 lol. Insulation definitely makes a huge difference.

I found another used stove on CL this past fall and installed it in our new house. I picked up a Fireview for $600 and bought the liner for $900. After the gasket kit and new cat from woodstock I have about $1700-1800 into my current set up.

You can save yourself thousands on a stove by reading this forum and looking for deals on CL. Or as Papadave said a brand new Englander from Home Depot would be a nice addition as well without breaking the bank.

7. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Firewood? Whats that?
    I will try and write these ideas of stoves down. I took a look at a few for 1200-1800 sq ft. Seem like overkill so I may have to go see what they look like in person. I have a few drafts in my house that are likely to be done in the summer. I may ask if someone knows better insulation but this stuff is that spray puff stuff that feels like cotton. Probably not the best at all since I can barely see what i am walking on up there. Should take another look when my daughter is away. That insulation is a mess and then some!!

8. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

It has a cover over the top which Im currently using as a tv antenna plate:whistle::emb: that should have some replacement. Sticks like an eyesore. Anyways I cant really tell if it is double lined but I see remnants of the brick that held the furnace in place and the special brick with holes in it for air circulation out in my yard so im guessing it was a likely a small hearth. Its nice that they left the chimney but first order of business would be to see if that can be approved. Otherwise this is shot. :(

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  9. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Because our winters are so mild here, Im sure anything would work. The basis to this is the temps dropped to about 15F at the most this winter but that weather went on for about a week then off then back on again and then snowed and back and forth. Its good that I have a good mix of hardwood(some plum and some maple) for those chillier nights. Someone messaged a fan awhile back in the corner of my house to blow in the two bedrooms and bathroom so this can be easily done. Plus might help with not having to use a dehumidifier since the fire would suck the moisture out of the house air????

10. papadave

papadave

If you can swing a cat stove, one of the smaller Woodstock stoves would work. http://woodstove.com/keystone
    They can be run lower and slower than a tube stove.
    So, you have firewood......gooder.
    It's better to have the fan placed low at the farthest point from the stove that's practical, blowing toward the stove on low speed.
    I can't do that here, but the ceiling fan blowing up in the kitchen pulls air from the stove room to that end of the house pretty well.
    Maybe some other folks from the PNW should chime in here for stove ideas.

11. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Simple correction here: the fan does not have to be placed at the farthest point. Case in point is when we used a fan it was placed about half way between the furthest point and the stove and it worked like a charm. One can even place a small fan in the closest doorway.

One big key here too for the fan is that you do not need a large fan. A very small fan will do wonders even on the lowest speed (which will keep you from feeling like it is drafty in there).

Horkn, Sean and papadave like this.
  13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

FatBoy85 you have no doubt seen my other post about the stove so I'll just comment on the chimney. Indeed, you need to check that and if it won't work, do not forget you can also look at installing a chimney up the side of the home, which is what we did. We put in a horizontal flue with 1/2" rise per foot of horizontal then up the side of the house. I do not mind the looks but some do and build a chase around it. We did not and even in the extreme cold there is no problem with draft. Insulated chimney is not cheap but will probably outlast you.

Horkn and FatBoy85 like this.
  14. papadave

papadave

Too true. Good correction.

Horkn, Sean and Backwoods Savage like this.
  15. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I agree and I have a perfect fan for the job it is awaiting its time to shine! I may want another one on a shelf to make sure the air goes in a circle in the kitchen so that gets warmed up too.

Horkn and Backwoods Savage like this.
  16. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Installing a chimney sounds ok, there's something I may ask to check out and thats the stove pipe exiting out of the house main wall. Reason for not installing a chimney yet is i may extend the house out and add an additional possibility 800 sq ft to the house. With that in mind i'll look for the warmer stove or larger capacity.

17. papadave

papadave

Well now, that's a horse of a different color, and could potentially change suggestions.

Horkn, Handsonautotech, Sean and 3 others like this.
  18. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Well said I just don't quite see it happening for another 10 years. While I could table the home improvements, Would rather focus on what I have now because if the stove fits...? Anyways point being that I can plan now to plan ahead. Its likely that the house would climb in space availablity but would not change how I would heat it. Probably replace the insulation and have a brand new chimney as well, just use the same fireplace to accommodate the home.

19. papadave

papadave

Keep bringin' the clues. We like a challenge. :whistle:
    Wife and I would like to build a room on the west end of the house, but no idea when we can swing that.
    Do what you can now.......gooder idea:thumbs:

20. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I will try to repost here as things develop and change. Thanks!