In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

My raised beds year 4.

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by trail twister, Jul 11, 2017.

1. trail twister

trail twister

Used to do a regular veggie garden that covered a lot of area. After the kids left home I continued for a couple of years, then decided I was growing way more than I could use and the people I gave the surplus to acted like I should even can the stuff for them. I quit doing the veggies and would buy a bit from the farmers markets in the area. Seemed like I was always a dollar short and day late and tomatoes were soft and mushy when I was ready for them, corn you would think were gold nuggets on a cob so I started growing things in pots. Tough to grow corn in pots as the wind kept blowing them over when they got so high so I decided to dabble in raised beds. Started with just one 4'x8'x8" bed filled with soil I got from the woods. I raised tomatoes, squash and egg plants the first year to see how it went. Went way beyond my expectations, I have never raised tomatoes with 6' & 7' tall plants before and the soil in my old regular garden was the finest I could make. Wow these raised beds are great I think, and easy to protect early season from frost and also late season too.

First year got hit with tomato blight. I read all I could on it so removed all the plants from the bed, took them to my bury hole and buried them along with all the soil I removed from the bed later. Left the frame to freeze and thaw all winter, when spring came I mixes up a bleach solution and washed that frame several times with the solution and then plain dish soapy water and a final rinse and started over.
    I also built 2 more new beds with recycled lumber 4'x8'x 11" filled them all again with woods soil. They have worked well for me also.

Today I am working on making a watering system where all the water goes in the beds. I discovered in 2014 that a water bottle on the end of a hose with holes worked best. Problem is water bottles are now cheaper made and do not screw on the end of a hose any longer.

[​IMG]

:D Al

2. Deer Meadow Farm

Deer Meadow Farm

My brother-in-law uses old refrigerators as his raised beds. He takes the doors off and lays them on their backs. He drills holes in them for drainage and fills it with a mix of soil, compost, cow manure, etc. It looks a little redneck, but he has awesome gardens! No bending over to weed, rabbits can't get in, etc. He's up to 7 or so of them now. He paints the sides camo to help them blend in. I think if you add inexpensive access to cedar to side them with they'd look pretty nice.

3. trail twister

trail twister

I have heard of all kinds of things used for raised beds.
    Guy I worked with years ago used tires for his potatoes and kept stacking them nearly all summer.
    When fall came he had oddles of potatoes from the tire stacks.

bogieb and Chvymn99 like this.
  4. Jon_E

Jon_E

I use rough pine 2x12's for most of my raised beds, been doing this for ten years as the only clear spot on my land for a garden is over the top of my septic leach field. Can't dig it in.

Lately I have been using cut-down 15-gallon white drums that I get from work, used to hold laundry soap and chemicals. They get rinsed out, cut down, and left to sit in the weather for a season, then they get used the following spring. I also have been using a lot of those "grow bags", basically 7 to 15-gallon 'pots' made out of non-woven geotextile. Have potatoes planted in them this year and hope to get a great yield. Some of these allotment gardeners on YouTube get 10 lb of potatoes or more out of a ten gallon pot with 4-5 seed potatoes.

5. bogieb

bogieb

Funny - over the weekend I put my old freezer (still working) out on the curb and a neighbor stopped by and tried to stuff it in his car. I offered to take it to his place. When I dropped it off, his wife was saying she didn't know what to do with their old, non-working freezer since the transfer station charges for it. I gave her that exact answer - take off door, lay it down, drill holes and use it for raised bed. The look she gave me was priceless.

milleo likes this.
  6. bogieb

bogieb

I like your sprinkler method!

7. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Years ago I had something similar for watering my garden. It was bottle shaped, filled with what looked like a plastic scrubby and had holes in it. It worked good as a soaker for small spots.

campinspecter and bogieb like this.
  8. trail twister

trail twister

Made up this 1/2 inch PVC 8' soaker and it didn't work near as well as the water bottle.

[​IMG]

Woodwidow and bogieb like this.
  9. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

There is a guy over on the coal forum that has raised beds with hydroponic feedings. He wanted to make the point that coal was not that bad so he used coal as a medium to plant his food in. The plants got so big they nearly lifted his greenhouse off the foundation.

Coal of course is carbon, and I have been wondering myself if biochar is everything they claim it is. I am thinking about making some up for our garden just to see.

They say the first year a garden just starts, the second year it just spreads, and the third year it shines! There is some truth to that I think.

bogieb likes this.