In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Muffler Modification?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Chvymn99, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

So I've been seeing some chatter about muffler modification. I know there seems to be some information out on the web, but what to trust is another matter. I know several (Ok many :whistle:) on here have done it. I'm interested in on trying it on my 290 Farm Boss. Its kinda of the odd duckling in my herd :rofl: :lol:, IMO just underpowered and heavy. But it was my first saw that I ever bought, so Id like to use it, but I find my self using either the 180 or the 034 most of the time.

2. mdavlee

mdavlee

Open the existing outlet about double.

Hedgerow likes this.
  3. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

PM Being sent I did my 390 follow this . Its a mild one not extreme. Not much more sound but u can tell a power difference. I did it under close direction from mastermech.

Chvymn99 likes this.
  4. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Basically mirror the slots that are under the depressed area of the muffler to the top side of the depression, a couple 3/16" holes where you can, do not open anything in the depressed area unless you are ready for a lot more noise. Open the deflector as much as practical and call it good. That should wake a 290 up a bit. Then sell it. Seriously, they bring good cash and will make a Homelite/Poulan/etc. owner very happy. Your 034 more than covers the duties a 290 would.

Chvymn99 likes this.
  5. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I think he is in the same boat as me. First new saw he bought and is sentimental to it.

I am to my 390 this way. ESP since my wife gave me some of the money for it. This was before we were married and did not have much.

Chvymn99 likes this.
  6. MasterMech

Something like this:

029 Muffler Modified.JPG IMG_20130706_123759.jpg

You could take even more off the deflector.

Or something like this....

This is the meanest sounding 1127 series saw I've ever heard...

fox9988 and Chvymn99 like this.
  7. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Thanks MM. Were a bit preoccupied right now with the new one. I'm not doing much digging through phone rightnow!

I think I plan on pulling the muffler again and making larger holes and possibly a hole in the dented concave area and like u said grinding more off the deflector.

But right now with the 372 and now the 650 I haven't messed with it much.

8. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I had to watch that video for a second time to see what meant. My phone quality is so bad I could not tell till I turned up the volume after u said it was mean sounding. Then I was like wow, and then saw the 1" side port!

9. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

X2... And also make sure to richen the H screw a little (re-tune), because the added air, will make the mixture lean.

If unsure what this means? MM has a phenomenal video on tuning saws. :)

Chvymn99 and Pyroholic like this.
  10. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Wow, thanks for all the explanations. I knew you all would give me good guidance. Those pictures are great to help me out. I'll have to go find his video, cause I personally havent done much tuning on engines. Is this kinda the same across all still saws? or they a little different?

That video of that saw you modded did have a awesome sound.

Thanks again, as I work on this, I might have to revive this thread. Probably a December or January project.

11. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

All saws tune the same.Hisky stihl or poulan. They all will sound different based on the muffler design how open it is and the size of the saw.

I can link you the bid too bit it may be in that thread I sent you if you follow all the links.?

Chvymn99 likes this.
  12. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Yea, I'll look at that at some point today. I was just too tired lastnight from cutting that tree down yesterday. But thank you for the information

13. MasterMech

To be clear, that previous vid is not mine, but one I happened across at the ideal time.

Here is the tuning vid I did last spring.

Pallet Pete likes this.
  14. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

The only difference in carbs is that husky has those darn special screws that you have to have their screw driver for. You can't just buy them due to their interpretation on EPA legislation. You can find them on eBay or amazon for $40 though!!!

Oh and new poulans are just rebadged huskies so of course they will tune just like a husky.

They all tune basically the same but most saws and small equipment all has Walbro carburetors on them.

15. Trilifter7

Trilifter7

Can I port my stock 026 pro this way too then? I never really thought about doing any mods to it but after seeing what it involves it doesn't look too difficult. I wouldn't want it much louder but more power is always welcome :D

16. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Muffler mods can be as simple as drilling a hole in the thing.

You need to get the restriction out of the muffler the whole way so there no bottle neck out of the muffler. Not sure how that muffler is but you can figure it out

17. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

There is 4 small holes in the front cover of the 026. Take a bigger drill bit, dremel, small grinder, etc and open these holes up. I normally just make the 4 little holes into 2 large holes.

(Make sure to remove the front screen when you do this, then reinstall when finished)

18. MasterMech

When doing a muffler mod and trying to keep noise down, do not defeat internal baffles, make the existing holes in them bigger or add a couple but avoid creating direct paths from the exhaust port to the outlet. A baffled muffler with a second outlet added will often wind up being a good compromise on the noise/power issue.

Trilifter7 likes this.
  19. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

:drool: That's really good sounding I want one !!!

20. cmag

cmag

MM What tach you use ?

Chvymn99 likes this.