In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

★★★★★ MTD 20 Ton Wood splitter

Discussion in 'Wood Splitters' started by Backwoods Savage, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

100_0136.JPG
    Sorry I don't have many pictures of our wood splitter but here is one when I was playing around making some kindling out of some half rotten wood.

It is an MTD 20 ton with a 5 hp Briggs & Stratton engine. We bought this splitter new back in the 1980's and have split well over 300 cord of wood with it; all trouble free. Well, one little exception. One day the knot came undone on the pull cord so had to re-knot it.

The engine is probably on it's last leg now but we'll run it as long as we can because oil is still cheaper than metal. I do have to stop about every hour and add oil but by then I am really wanting to stop anyway. lol

We know of 3 other folks who have a splitter exactly like ours and the only one I am aware of with problems is that one fellow had to replace his motor and did so with a cheap Harbor Freight motor. I plan on buying one from the Small Engine Warehouse when we get a new one.

T.Jeff Veal, Maina, Deacon and 7 others like this.
  2. brian99574

brian99574

I've had the same model splitter for almost 10 years. Split well over rated 100 cord with it. I've upgraded the engine to a 9 horse Honda and the pump is now 16 gpm and I love it. Trying out a 4 way wedge to see if it can handle it. I'll let you know how it goes. Great machines.

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  3. Gasifier

Gasifier

That is a reliable machine Dennis. How many crates or sitting devices have you gone through in that time?

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  4. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Decades of service, 300+ cords, money well spent (built better back then too!)

T.Jeff Veal likes this.