In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

More fencing almost finished

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by mike bayerl, Aug 28, 2017.

1. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Wife and I got another ~250 ft. of fencing put in this weekend. Still need to put in gates. 20170828_101618.jpg 20170828_101715.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  2. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

is this for the goats mike?

wildwest likes this.
  3. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Sheep.

wildwest and Canadian border VT like this.
  4. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

FWIW, I would have loved to have put up 2x4" or 3x3", but that would have been way more expensive and I'm relatively depleted in liquid cash right now. The Bekeart high-tensile, graduated field fence seemed like a good choice. People with horned sheep like ours have put up similar fence without issue. We shall see.

wildwest and Canadian border VT like this.
  5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

that's right.. I remembered thread we are shepherds couldn't remember to which animal

wildwest likes this.
  6. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

We had to get a little creatve near the utility pole. Utilities for 3 houses including ours start underground condiut there. Once it was markered out, we wound up with a 20 ft span where we couln't drive wooden posts, so we used a 16' cattle panel, a shallow T-post and another 4' piece of panel hinged for a gate. In an emergency, we could take it all out in less 5 minutes. It ain't pretty, but it will work very well. 20170828_191949.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  7. chainsawsoldier

chainsawsoldier

If you can, I would drive 1 or 2 more posts to hold that cattle panel up. If one of your critters sees something on the other side of the fence, that panel will flex...I had to learn that the hard way. Otherwise it looks great!!

VOLKEVIN and mike bayerl like this.
  8. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Good idea. I'll see if we can squeeze anything in there. Once all the flags and paint were laid down by the utilities, there wasn't much room left. I assume(?) that if we keep the T posts around 12" we shouldn't hit any conduit, but then again, it would be a very costly mistake.

J. Dirt likes this.
  9. chainsawsoldier

chainsawsoldier

. Have the locators come back out. If you can be home when the locator comes out, they can give you a fairly good idea on the depth of the conduit.

10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

We are doing similar this Holiday weekend, fencing in a "winter" yard for the dogs. The snowdrifts here get higher than our dogs fence (yikes, we lost one Jan 2014 for 5 days in -20* F weather, yes she was finally found and came home safe and is healthy again), so we have been moving the fence in to contain them and avoid the "Blob" snowdrifts but- its not enough room for them to do their business since we can't clean it up when frozen kwim. Going to use stronger gauge out there and line it with 2 x 12's on top and bottom.

11. yooperdave

yooperdave

Good luck on the never ending battle with that wind!

J. Dirt and wildwest like this.
  12. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Looks pretty good to me!!

J. Dirt and wildwest like this.
  13. Kimberly

Kimberly

That underground cable should be down deep; I was thinking the electric company told us six feet but that was a while ago so I can not be sure. Anyway, the guy said there would be no problem with us planting bushes over the line but not any trees; so no problem digging a hole to plant bushes. Having said that, you never know what some lazy installer might have done. The next door neighbours had a new coax cable run for their internet service and the installers hit the electric power cable; big bang and out goes the lights. The coax cable is installed around a foot deep so there should have been no way for them to hit the electric cable but they did.

J. Dirt and mike bayerl like this.
  14. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Never assume buried utility location or depth! It doesn't take much to hit stuff and create quite a mess and/or kill yourself even with a shovel or hammering in a fence post. Working for the power company here I've seen some pretty bad stuff and it's not pleasant.:faint:

Stephiedoll likes this.
  15. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Thanks for the reminder. Much appreciated. I'm in your camp. I've had them out twice to mark. If we put anything else in the ground, we will have them out again. No sense in making a big/costly/fatal mistake.

J. Dirt likes this.
  16. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Got that right! Not to mention they should do it for free as well I believe? And we just did some the beginning of the week here and the depth was within 1/2" and within 6" out on the line we were looking for the trouble spot on so some pretty cool gear to see working. :thumbs: