In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Making your own lump charcoal?

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Jon_E, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Jon_E

Jon_E

For those of you that cook over lump charcoal, have any of you tried making your own lump? Especially with a woodstove or outdoor wood boiler - surely it can't be this simple? I was going to get a good hot fire going with the types of wood I'd like to use for charcoal (apple, cherry, oak) and when I have a good bed of coals, simply scoop out a shovel full of coals and dump them in a small metal can or barrel and tightly close the lid. Aim to cut off all the air. When they are cool after a couple of days, toss them on a screen to shake off surface ash, pack in a bin or bag, repeat at will. I imagine a few days worth of doing this carefully could generate enough charcoal to cook for a season, no?

Anyone use other methods that work for them?

saskwoodburner likes this.
  2. jeff_t

jeff_t

http://firewoodhoardersclub.com/forums/threads/make-your-own-lump-charcoal.8286/

I would shovel them into a bucket of water for a minute or two, them spread out on an old window screen to dry. About three gallons of cold water in a five gallon bucket would get barely warm after I was done scooping a bunch out of my furnace.

I wouldn't concern myself with burning any special wood. Charcoal doesn't burn with enough smoke to impart much flavor. It's almost pure carbon at that point. I usually found the biggest lumps when burning oak that wasn't as dry as it should've been.

saskwoodburner likes this.
  3. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I hope to reopen this thread a bit as I got some fresh pin oak. While I wanna wait on the wood, I also want to try out some idea so that the charcoal can be used to some extent. Free is best right? I have a couple of kerosene cans I plan to cut tops off and then burn clean and then find tops for them if possible. Then build a fire around them. I don't need to worry about the wood used to burn it but maybe get a bit of fence to keep the fire burning upwards. I even thought about a barrel and use that properly to get the heat on top. Too much scrapwood here for firewood. The dimensional stuff runs the gamut but id probably feel better with another load of oak for good measure.

saskwoodburner and Eric VW like this.
  4. yooperdave

yooperdave

Over the winter months, I'll plan on burning only maple and then scoop out some coals from the OWB and place them in the char-griller for a nice grilled dead cow meal!!!

upload_2017-3-26_6-19-6.jpeg