In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Mahindra 4540 4WD

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by thewoodlands, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Sounds like good things are happening.

thewoodlands likes this.
  2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I spent most of the day doing some maintenance on the tractor. I started on the backhoe cleaning the grease nipples off and then taking each one off for a real good cleaning, one needed replacement so that was done and a few bolts needed tightening. The hoe is all greased and it's ready for the next job.

I did the same on the tractor with the grease nipples except I only took off three that needed a real good cleaning, all the tractor is greased. I also checked all the bolts I could get at, all were good. I then took some Fluid Film to the bolts and nuts which gave them a good cleaning and then I coated them again, I'll do the coating with Fluid Film again before winter hits and I also plan on coating the front axle with POR this week. Because I run down the road some during the winter to plow our neighbors, the axles will get some salt so the POR should take care of that.

The last thing I did was grease the plow we use on the tractor for winter plowing, all grease nipples took the grease. I also sprayed down certain parts with Fluid Film.

We decided to hit Dairy Queen in Canton NY for a few Blizzards, I'll check the fluid levels tomorrow after we put in wood before we get some rain on Tuesday.

We have a few pines we decided to remove from the middle of the trail plus it will give the house more sun in the winter, I'll have those pictures when it happens.

I'm sure some on this site think I over do it when it comes to doing certain things on the tractor but I was told if you take care of the tractor it will take care of you.

3. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I'm looking for a bigger socket set for some of the bolts on the tractor, most if not all the bolts are six point.

The biggest bolt that I measured was 1 1/8 across, would this set work? Any suggestions are appreciated, we're close to Walmart,Sears,Lowes and Tractor Supply.

Craftsman 16 pc. 12 pt. 3/4 in. Dr. Socket Wrench Set

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

That would work. When you are getting into 1/2" and 3/4" drive socket sets even the cheaper ones hold up pretty well, especially if you go with impact sockets. Most of my "large" sets are Harbor Fright and I've never broken one, even using cheater bars and the impact wrench on it sometimes.

5. Flamestead

Flamestead

I have that ratchet, and have hung my weight on the end of a four foot cheater pipe with no apparent ill effects (and the nut came loose!).

My socket set goes up to 1 1/4, and that has been fine for tractors. I had an old dozer once and was wishing for larger open end wrenches.

6. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

My FIL offered me his tools years back (he drove heavy equipment) but I didn't take them because my SIL (I consider her an XSIL) was an azz.

I'll just buy the sockets that I need, that set that was in the link ran over $215.00.

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  7. Flamestead

Flamestead

My socket set came from FIL, without ratchet. Before that, the price of the full set had me eying my pipe wrench! I got an old army trailer from my FIL at the same time. He was being medicated for depression at the time, and apparently didn’t recall watching me load his trailer onto my trailer when I brought it home. Years later I saw him walking around the army trailer in our yard looking quite intrigued - he told me he used to have one exactly like it. I explained, and triple verified with my wife that we were on the same page initially and were again back where everyone was happy. Family.

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

$59.99 20 Pc 3/4 in. Drive SAE Jumbo Heavy Duty Socket Set
    Goes 7/8 to 2" plus ratchet, breaker bar, extensions

9. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

A few more weeks and it will be time to start those again or at least try.

Backwoods Savage, Gasifier and Hammy like this.
  10. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

11. chainsawsoldier

chainsawsoldier

I have a set of 3/4” sockets from HF- Pittsburgh Professional -Item#67960. I use them with an adapter on my 1/2” ratchet or impact. Have only had to break out my 3/4” breaker bar for an old Cat D-6 that the neighbor broke the lift cable on when he was going across my place on his way to his other farm.

12. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Thanks brenndatomu and anyone else that recommended these, they had two in stock in the Watertown NY store so I ordered one, we'll see if someone gets to the last two before our internet order goes through.

I'll have to mark the calendar, our first HF order. :picard:

13. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We were going to take down two pines the other day but we didn't because of a few things, we have it planned for tomorrow so hopefully we have some pictures.

If we do the job tomorrow that will mean two more stumps will be dug up since it's in the middle of the trail.

14. yooperdave

yooperdave

If you get the wind that we had today or this past weekend, you won't have to worry about taking the trees down.

Ma Nature is doing her pruning once again.

15. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

It's not here yet but if mother nature does a free drop, we'll just remove the stumps.

The wife wanted a fire so the Liberty has one going with the wife sitting nearby.

16. yooperdave

yooperdave

In another thread, I had posted that 99 wanted the kicker stove lit off this evening. Nice....just got done playing a few hands of cards with her next to the stove.

I don't quite know how to break the news of her new snow shovel to her, but I'm working on it! :p

17. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

[​IMG]

18. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Maybe a nice sign like this from a shop.
    [​IMG]:thumbs:

19. yooperdave

yooperdave

I'd be looking for another residence, for sure!

[​IMG]

20. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

The house will get more sun and the plowing will be much easier with these two pine gone.

Picture 0259 is the first drop, 0530 is a 15 foot log we'll mill,0531 is the second pine we dropped,0533 is another 15 foot log we'll mill and 0534 are the two stumps I'll dig up.

Attached Files: