In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Mahindra 4540 4WD

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by thewoodlands, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Yeah, he just made a little typo there.

yooperdave and Hammy like this.
  2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I decided that I would grease the tractor tonight, done. After I chip enough branches tomorrow so I can get part of the stacking area level, I'll be moving some junk wood to the chunk wood pile.

3. yooperdave

yooperdave

If you'd like, I could do that for you. Just show up at the cottage .

While you're here, do you think you could tweak the approach to the garage? You'll need a back blade; I will have the washed gravel ready!

4. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

After splitting some pine, I took one small load of junk wood to the wood dump with the 4540.

Attached Files:

Gasifier, Boomstick, Chvymn99 and 5 others like this.
  5. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I did take over two plus loads of pine to the splitter area with more small stuff just off the trail that I'll do tomorrow. I dug out one stump and then took it to the wood dump and I also grabbed a load of sand (not pictured) to fill the hole.

Attached Files:

6. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I'm taking a lunch break but I did remove two stumps and fill the holes, pictures later.

I did check the fluids again, the axle oil, regular oil and the antifreeze were good but I added a small amount of transmission oil to bring it up to the second line.

I did a total of four smaller stumps (didn't take a pic of all) today so this trail is good.

After I took the stumps to the wood dump, I took some zerts off the hoe that get dirty, all is good in zertville.

We change the batteries in the smoke & carbon monoxide dector today too.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    basod, Gasifier, Dancan and 4 others like this.
  7. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I moved the chips with the tractor FEL near the stacking area that I'll be leveling out and I also moved the pine off the trail to the splitting area.

The old Weber Grill was taken apart and then taken to recycle and then I split some pine before calling it a day, the camera was in the house.

We have some rain coming in tomorrow so I'll be cleaning out the back of the rhino and then hopefully putting the big ole vice back on the work bench.

I've also been posting part of our property where the old posted signs came down.

8. Backwoods Savage

Ah yes. Perhaps it is time I did some re-posting of property too.

yooperdave, thewoodlands and Hammy like this.
  9. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I pulled two stumps (the smaller one I didn't take a pic) the second one was the bigger of the two.

I did get two small loads of sand to put in the hole and then I filled it back in. I did rake all the small broken roots out but never took a pic.

I packed it down with the rhino and I plan on running the tractor over it this week.

Attached Files:

Gasifier, Hammy and yooperdave like this.
  10. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Earlier this spring I told our neighbor that we would give him two face cord of wood that's been up two years so today after we came back from a scheduled appointment with the vet, I jumped on the tractor and made the delivery.

The camera was inside so since I had my boots on I went without it.

11. Backwoods Savage

Is this the guy I'm thinking it is across the road?

12. Gasifier

Gasifier

No. He trades with the Sergi's for Pizzas! Neighbor. :picard:

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  13. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

No, down the road, Cliff's house.

In early spring I found a nice size cherry down close to the line, I couldn't find the pipe on that corner so I ask Steve if he wanted it thinking it was on his property (formerly Cliff's) he said no so I told him that I would give him 2 face cord of seasoned wood and that I wood take the cherry.

I finally found the pipe (under a fallen tree) after I split the cherry and it was on our property.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Hammy and Backwoods Savage like this.
  14. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I wish it was closer.

Backwoods Savage and Gasifier like this.
  15. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

This is the cherry that I thought was on our neighbor's property but ended up on ours.

Cherry

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  16. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I decided to clean the filters out on the tractor and check the battery posts for buildup, I did take the air compressor to the two filters even though they were pretty clean.

I did forget to clean the grille under the battery (pollen buildup) so I'll do that tomorrow and then do a fluid check.

The plans for some trail clearing were changed this morning so hopefully after checking the tractor tomorrow it will be a go.

Attached Files:

17. Gasifier

Gasifier

Nice work. I did filters and oil check first thing too thewoodlands.

18. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I'll also get the grease gun out and hit a few areas underneath the tractor.

I'll also coat all the bolts & nuts that I can get to with fluid film, it helps protect them from the moisture. I did the bolts & washers that hold the grille on the front end today.

19. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I'll wait until I finish the new trail and then clean the forest floor up some before I take the tractor in to dig some smaller stumps out and to make sure the trail is tractor ready.

20. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

100_0515.JPG I finally picked up some Mahindra Pallet Forks (rated for 4000 pounds) for the 4540, I'll get a picture when we first use them.

I think the 4540 lifting capacity is around 3000 pounds on the FEL but I'd rather have the higher rated forks.

Any ideas with pics on making a pallet so you can move the wood without it falling.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Thor, Hammy, Chvymn99 and 4 others like this.