In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Made some kindling, got some ash and poplar

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by HDRock, Sep 20, 2015.

1. HDRock

HDRock

Hecks ya !!! I did :beerbbq:
    Left over pizza gets wrapped in tin foil , put it on top of the wood stove for a few min, hot n crispy:drool:

2. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Nice work!

HDRock likes this.
  3. papadave

papadave

New Bar & Grill opening in town this weekend, and once the Elk Fest crowd goes home, I may have to try one of their pizzas.
    Who am I kidding, I AM gonna' try one. Wife and FIL are on their own...........:rofl: :lol:

basod, Backwoods Savage and HDRock like this.
  4. papadave

papadave

Pizza, at the top of the food pyramid.
    Or better yet, IS the food pyramid...........
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  5. Oldman47

Oldman47

It seems like about once a week they stuff my mailbox with nice fire starters. After that all I need is a little kindling.

Backwoods Savage and HDRock like this.
  6. Hog_Hunter_57

Hog_Hunter_57

At my house I have so many feed sacks I use them!

Backwoods Savage and HDRock like this.
  7. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Kindling & all that fire wood
    You've been busy this year !
    Being ready feels pretty good, eh? !!!

HDRock likes this.
  8. HDRock

HDRock

Gotta be ready cold is comin

9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Kimberly, don't feel bad. My wife could always take care of the stove but lighting a fire was always her weak point and I showed her many times. Then Thomas, aka NW_fuels, got on the forum with his Super Cedars. You can also find his web site by Googling Super Cedars or even find him on Facebook. He will also send you a couple free samples! That is how we got started with them.

Since we started using them, now my wife can easily start a fire and here is how we do it:

Put two small splits on the bottom. Usually these are triangular splits and we sort of form a vee with them. In the middle of the vee, we place 1/4 of a Super Cedar and light it immediately. On top of this usually goes a couple pieces of kindling but not always. Sometimes we just put splits on top. Just don't snuff out the fire of the super cedar and all will be well. On top of the kindling again we'll put a couple small pieces of wood (splits). I like to use soft maple or ash for this. Soft maple is best because it lights off quickly and burns hot to get the stove warmed up. Anyway, we just leave the draft full open and close the firebox door and let the fire do its thing. Add more wood as this first wood burns down.

As stated, my wife no longer has a problem starting a fire in a cold stove. The super cedars are not expensive if you buy by the case and get the FHC discount which is there for the asking. I believe they are also available from the Swags store. Give them a try. Else you can use many things, such as lint from the dryer, pine cones, small pine, twigs you get from the woods, etc. You can easily make your own fire starters too. We've tried a few different fire starters but like the super cedars the best.

Hope this helps.

basod, HDRock and papadave like this.
  10. Kimberly

Kimberly

Thanks for the information. I might not even be heating with wood this winter :(

Backwoods Savage likes this.