In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Let's see those bikes

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Smokinpiney, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Bert

Bert

It's at about 9000 ft. where the bike is parked on the road to Yosemite National Park....... What really is amazing to me is that people climb up those chutes in the winter and ski down.

RCBS likes this.
  2. RCBS

RCBS

Bert and eatonpcat like this.
  3. RCBS

RCBS

So the show was a good time. Had trouble finding parking and paid too much, but all in all worth it. I did not get many pics but here are a few things that caught my eye.

IMAG1148.jpg

IMAG1149.jpg

IMAG1153.jpg

IMAG1152.jpg

IMAG1154.jpg

IMAG1151.jpg

IMAG1150.jpg

I give it 7.5/10 overall. Noticeably absent were Ducati, BMW and Triumph for reasons unknown. Everyone else was there as far as I could tell. The outdoor and demo area was a 10 minute shuttle ride away from main event. I took helmet and gloves with possibility of some demo rides, but abandoned idea due to shuttle and distance we parked from event. Did not feel like toting my helmet around. Concessions were very few inside and expensive. Swag however, was flowing abundantly. Got tons of stickers, key chains and some koozies. Met some nice people selling their wares.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  4. RCBS

RCBS

Almost started looking for a job...in North Carolina. Spent last week at the Tapoco Lodge riding all the good roads and exploring the backroads in my truck. I would sincerely live there if I had the opportunity. This was my second time down and the first chance to get a good look around. What an interesting and beautiful place! A virtual paradise for the outdoorsman. Rode the Tail of The Dragon several times, Cherohala Skyway, Route 28 and a few others. Just a fantastic place to be on a motorcycle.

A few obligatory pics...

IMAG1223.jpg

IMAG1227.jpg

IMAG1259.jpg

IMAG1230.jpg

IMAG1234.jpg

IMAG1251.jpg

IMAG1218.jpg

Bert, Horkn, WeldrDave and 5 others like this.
  5. yooperdave

yooperdave

Nice views.

Bert, Horkn, bogieb and 1 other person like this.
  6. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

2 wheel heaven! Cherohala is thee best.

I had the chance to run my Honda on a track!
    996 2.jpg
    996 1.jpg

Bert, RCBS, Horkn and 5 others like this.
  7. RCBS

RCBS

My Skyway experience was good, but could have been better. Heavy rains the night before I arrived left wet and slick roads. On top of that, I somehow picked the week that the road crews were doing mowing and they had tossed a bunch of crap out onto the road. It was only the beginning though. Once I got past the mowers and gained some elevation, the roads were free of debris and much drier. Then there's my choice of attire... Wore my mesh jacket. It was 80* and humid as all get out down at 1500'. I forgot about temperature changes with elevation. Doh! I was freezing when I took the pic at Big Junction. It couldn't have been above 50 up there. It was a bit surreal driving along and actually feeling the clouds that were blowing across the highway.

I had my best ride of the trip on 28. Better weather, clean asphalt and some good tunes in my ear buds. I believe I had a 15-20 minute spell of pure bliss at one point.

Ah yes, the track. I have considered, but have not yet undertaken. I'm somewhat afraid to try it. Not the danger part, but the addiction part. Track is Crack, they say. I would like to take a rider course at mid O sometime. More just to improve my skills than to go fast. I'm about 98% self taught as far as street riding goes. If I wish to improve further, I will need help. A couple of locals and some fast riders on the Dragon reminded me quite handily that I am not a fast rider. Decent, but not fast.

Bert, Horkn, eatonpcat and 4 others like this.
  8. Buffalo Plaid

Buffalo Plaid

My 2016 Indian Springfield on the pier in Wellfleet.

Attached Files:

Bert, RCBS, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  9. bogieb

bogieb

Some of the bikes at a HOG member's service/remembrance line of bikes on road.jpg bikes on curve.jpg bikes at church-upper picture.jpg . He passed during our monthly meeting on 10/1/17 (not AT the meeting - he had just been transferred to hospice less than 24 hours previously). Jack will be missed.

Bert, TurboDiesel, eatonpcat and 4 others like this.
  10. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Sorry for your loss bogieb

Bert, bogieb and p61 western like this.
  11. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

FB_IMG_1508774505214.jpg FB_IMG_1508774516664.jpg this is my new bike, a Rowbike, created by the same guy who brought the Rollerblade.
    You power it by pulling the handlebars and the seat slides.
    It is the best workout after swimming

Bert, RCBS, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  12. bogieb

bogieb

36* this morning and heavy fog. Had to go get tires put on the bike, so dressed appropriately and rode the 30 miles (40 minutes). Rear tire really needed replaced - front wasn't as bad, but wouldn't last into next season anyway. Compare and contrast the before and after pictures (yes I'm a poster child as to why you should check tires more often ;) )

old rear tire.jpg

New rear tire Dunlop American Elite.jpg

Bert, RCBS, Horkn and 1 other person like this.
  13. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Guy I used to work with has you covered...

P111011_16.14_[01].jpg P111011_16.14.jpg

I picked up my scooter from DucPond today.
    12435381-6F3D-4C1C-B43E-E7E90E83CBBC.jpeg
    I plan to change the fork oil before reassembling.

Bert, eatonpcat, RCBS and 3 others like this.
  14. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

RCBS and The Wood Wolverine like this.
  15. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Yep. Bout 1.5 hour drive for me. Are you close?

16. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Yes

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The Wood Wolverine likes this.
  17. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Holy moly! I've changed so many tires like that over the years (but it is usually on sportbikes) if people only knew how little rubber you are riding on at that point...too bad they didn't let you examine the tire after it was off. Once they get to about the point where you were there, you can take your fingertip and poke it on the inside of the tire and make a finger tip shaped bump, almost like a heavy duty balloon! :eek:

Bert, RCBS, yooperdave and 4 others like this.
  18. bogieb

bogieb

Once I saw the issue, I quit riding until I had to ride it to the shop for the tires. I do realize there ain't hardly nothing between the air inside the tire and the air outside the tire, so I was nervous the entire way. Just made sure I kept to the speed limit (or lower because of fog). If the roads had been wet, I would have waited. Funny that I was so nervous since the day before I saw the damage I had been doing 80 mph and done just fine. On the other hand, my luck doesn't usually hold, so I had really good reason to be nervous.

I think I would have had a nervous breakdown if I'd seen that!

Bert, RCBS, Horkn and 1 other person like this.
  19. Horkn

Horkn

Just waiting for a halfway decent day to ride to work. We'll have a few days like that before snow hits.
    IMG_20171028_134257347.jpg

The Wood Wolverine , what did you have the Duc pond do to the multistrada?

RCBS , I have not ridden the tail of the dragon yet, but I need to. Maybe next summer?

Over winter, I'll be converting my TLS to a traditional rear shock. I've got my 06 r1 shock, and the brackets that my buddy water jetted from 6061 aluminum.

eatonpcat, bogieb, RCBS and 3 others like this.
  20. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, one time I let a rear Michelin pilot power get to the point of a tiny amount of cord was showing in the center from freeway droning. Inspected the tire after it was removed and it scared the crap out of me as to how thin and pliable it was. A sharp stone could have ruptured it.

Bert, bogieb, RCBS and 1 other person like this.