In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Jerky Gun

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Pallet Pete, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Ok who here has a good recommendation? I want a stainless setup but they are $$$$ aside from Cabellas version. The shipping kills that one for me. 29.99 for the gun and 17.00 shipping!o_O ( According to their website...)

Any other good recommendations?

2. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

I've always used plastic jerky guns, Nesco? brand I think, and had good luck. Are you worried that they won't hold up? Or just looking for a heavy duty lifetime piece of equipment? I know you posted a jerky thread but I don't recall if you already have a plastic gun or just slice it.

They don't have much resistance squeezing out ground meat, much less resistance than a silicone/caulking gun. A plastic gun still has metal parts to it, the pieces that make it ratchet forward.

Pallet Pete likes this.
  3. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

I usually use a good steak and cut it for jerky on a smoker. Since I found out about a jerky gun well I want one! :rofl: :lol: Cheaper and I can make a lot more that way.

When it comes to buying kitchen items I usually go for the heavy duty items that last. Having quality is worth it to me. Its like tools I like good tools because over time it becomes familiar and you get lots of attached memories and a feel for it. Probably sounds silly:whistle:

Thanks for the tips! I thought it would be hard to push meat through being more dense with the spices, binders and different meats if mixed. :dex:

saskwoodburner likes this.
  4. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

I also saw this but it didnt look very good quality.

Horkn likes this.
  5. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

Much nicer having quality tools or equipment, but in a pinch the plastic will work just fine to make up a honkin' big batch of jerky while you think on it. If I had to guess it'd be 2-4 lbs of squeeze force maybe less. It comes out kind of slow but it makes for easier forming.

Horkn and Pallet Pete like this.
  6. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth

Around Christmas Cabelas usually does free shipping with a code you out in at checkout. Keep an eye out for that

Pallet Pete likes this.
  7. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Well I am taking your advice and buying plastic but it looks decent so...

It gets delivered on Wednesday!:D

IMG_0920.PNG IMG_0921.PNG

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    raybonz and saskwoodburner like this.