In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Instructable kindling cracker

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Rowerwet, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

I have a bunch of instructables on their site, my best being my DIY foam kayak plan (sawfish kayak) looking around the site today I stumbled on this kindling cracker DIY How to Make a Log Splitter - Kindling Splitter: 4 Steps (with Pictures)
    I never noticed stuff on the site aimed at firewood, now I see a whole bunch, looks like I've got a bunch of reading to do.

2. CoreyB

CoreyB

I would love to build one of those

Rowerwet likes this.
  3. fishingpol

fishingpol

Interesting. I would be curious how well it works. The Kindling Cracker's bottom of the wedge flares out to just over 2 inches wide. Pieces "pop" apart if not too long.

There are some interesting projects on there.

blacksmith likes this.
  4. blacksmith

blacksmith

I guess it looks like yet another project to add to the forge? It's just going to ha e to go on the list of other projects if the tree jobs ever ease up! :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::startled:

Rowerwet likes this.
  5. HDRock

HDRock

I've seen those made a few different ways, some with hatchet heads, square tube, round tube, angle iron and ya rebar also a combination of all that.

Check these out $122.00 US

6. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Few years with a hatchet, then new home had excess pine cones (awesome!). Pine cones gone, now super cedars and whatever cardboardish trash we have. Keep in mind its tinder dry pine. Easier to light but no such things as coals.

7. Fan de Ferre

Fan de Ferre

Those are a nice idea, although the small ones are a bit limiting if you're splitting up something like a 6 or 8 inch cedar board for kindling. I use an "indestructable" Estwing hatchet (old leather handle job) with a well-shaped bevel, but dull edge. If you use a sharp hatchet a heavy leather glove on the wood-holding hand is recommended. I saw the boards to about 8" and they split very easily and quickly with just a light blow. You can strike five or six blows and split that many pieces off in as many seconds.

The secret of course is to look where you want to strike and the brain will arrange everything else, if you let it!