In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

★★★☆☆ Husqvarna Log tongs, 12"

Discussion in 'Firewood Accessories' started by bogydave, Nov 11, 2014.

1. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Husqy tongs $.JPG

Back savers. less bending
    Great for rainy, snowy , slippery wood
    Bite was much better after sharpening the tips.
    One in each hand, Easy to pick up 2 rounds & go. Less fatigue on the hands.

Good for loading but just OK for stacking.
    For stacking I use one: pick up a split , pass it to the left hand, tong another spilt & stack.
    For big rounds, use 2 ( for me, 12" rounds I carry one at a time, much bigger, no lifting, I roll them)

Cons:
    Need sharpened
    Don't grip very good on small rounds (3" or less) or small splits.
    sometime the splits need re-positioned to be picked up.
    Sometimes they slip off (usually small stuff)

The more I use them the better I got at tossing & controlling

2. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

I agree with bogydave here. I love mine the more I use them---what a back saver, use them more than my pickaroon now.

3. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

I like them for moving logs , with two pair a log in each hand works pretty well.

I also have a pair I modified by adding a strip of metal and two points on each side.
    They work great with the splitter , allows me to pick up a log and keep it level to the 4 way wedge without worrying about it being perfectly centered and balancing the log between just two points.

Backwoods Savage and Ronaldo like this.
  4. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

I want to modify mine like this. It’s on the to do list.
    My latest practice is using a pickaroon in one hand and the tongs in my left to move rounds from ground to transport (tractor bucket, carryall, pickup bed, etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  5. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

I did this just for use on the splitter. The problem I was having was lets say I had maybe a log around 8 inches in diameter if i rest it on the beam with the 4 way wedge the the log was not centered on the wings of the wedge and I would get two large splits off the bottom and two small ones off the top. I tried using the tongs as purchased but then had to fight finding the center of the log to keep it balanced and level and run the controls at the same time. By adding the 4 points picking up a log and keeping it level is now much easier and this seems to work really well.

I haven't used them to pick up and move logs around. , I have two other pair I use for that and the unmodified version is a big help with that.

The only thing I might have done different was to make the points similar th the way they come instead of round stock that comes to a point , it might give you a little more contact with the log and work even better but they do work well with the round points.

Backwoods Savage and eatonpcat like this.