In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

★★★★☆ Husqvarna 562

Discussion in 'Chain Saws' started by LodgedTree, Sep 18, 2017.

1. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

Well I have had a chance to log 10 cords of hardwood with this new saw and so these are my first honest impressions;

Cons:
    It is under-powered. It seems to have adjusted itself and is no longer bogging out like the first cord or two, but if the saw starts to get dull, it won't make a smaller chip, it just stops the chain.

Chain change out is a pain. This is just a Husqvarna thing as they have an external clutch. It is kind of a pain to put on a chain, but honestly its not that big of a deal because it is only done once a week.

Fuel tank: I wish I could see the fuel level by a bigger margin then just a small narrow window in the tank.

Pros:
    It is very light. Yes part of that stems from its lack of fuel capacity, but it is super light and thus very agile. It is a good all-around saw.

Fuel caps: I love these. It was the one of few things I did not like on the MS 461. Husvarna got these right.

Bar Nuts: What can I say, I have logged many cords with a bar held on by one bar nut because the other vibrated off and got lost. With these bar nuts being impossible to lose, that is a REALLY nice feature.

Things I like about the saw that is not related to this exact model.

A good friend has a local (10 miles away) saw shop and knows how to fix them. My local Stihl shop is 23 miles away and their service as not as good. Saws would come back running worse then when they went in.

Chain adjustment seems better on the Husqvarna. I had a warranty issue with a bent adjuster on my Stihl MS 461. Even replaced it seems weak.

Overall
    Overall...I would give it a #4 on stars. It is light so a person has to give up on a few things, so power will be one of them. Keeping it sharp is a must, but not a huge deal, just keep a file handy. The same can be said for fuel, but it seemed for every cord of wood cut, it consumed far less fuel than what my MS 461 Stihl used...normal since that was a bit bigger in size. In this case I could cut (2) cords per tankful, but the fuel tank is smaller on the Husqvarna...a good thing. I also liked the over all size; small and compact. Again, not as powerful, but a nice size.

Cost: $750 out the door, including hat, wedge, manual, bar grease gun, tools, filled with gas/oil, and 5.5% Maine State Sales Tax.

2. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I forgot to add that I REALLY like the "return to run" switch on this saw too. That is a feature that Husqvarna has that Stihl's do not, or in comparison to the old MS 461 I had.

RCBS likes this.
  3. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

On another forum a guy asked me how I liked this saw and after much more wood drawn across its bar, it would be a so-so buy. The only thing going for this saw is that it is so cheap.

This was what I posted for him:

"This is a Husky 562 and I do not like it. Hate is a strong word so I am one step down from saying that, but it is not a very good saw. BUT...and this is a huge BUT...I am a Stihl guy and so I struggle with a Husky to start with. I also went from a Stihl 461 to this Husky 562 and it was based 100% on price. The Stihl 461 is a $1100 chainsaw out the door, and this was $750 out the door.

There are things I like about it...

• Suspension
      Bar tightening
      Automatic return to start
      Autotune is to die for
    There are many I do not:
    • Way Underpowered
      Bar nuts rattle off
      Rattle box generally speaking
      Way Underpowered
      Way Underpowered
      Way Underpowered
      Did I mention it is way underpowered
    But for $750 it gets me by and I would buy another, just because for $750 it makes a decent disposable chainsaw. I miss my Stihl 461 though, and someday may replace it, it is worth the $1100, just hard to justify when I average driving over a chainsaw every few months. 16,000 pound skidders on top of an 8 pound chainsaws is like my ex-wife on top of her new boyfriend; poor things. The Husky 562 is okay, IF it is super sharp, the moment it even starts to get dull, it tells you it needs about 10 more cc's."

Farmchuck likes this.
  4. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

"disposable chainsaw"??? "ex wife/new boyfriend"??? wtf?

stihl ms461 is 76.5cc
    husky 562 is 59.8cc

unfair review.

Farmchuck, mr.finn, Murphy681 and 3 others like this.
  5. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

That's a good honest evaluation.:thumbs:

RichE23ACR likes this.
  6. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Bought a 562xp in the beginning of Feb. So far my only complaint is that I wish the chain adjuster was on the saw body ( like my lil' old 345) instead of the clutch cover. Seems to make swapping bars and chains a bit more of a nuisance. But the wrap kit I put on it before I ever fired it up helps add to the problem. I've got a reasonable amount of time in with a saw, (definitely not a rookie), just not much of a variety of 'em.. This is by far the smoothest running one I've ever held. I'm thinking it's going to serve me well. CAD has already set in, & trying to figure out what my next bigger one is going to be. After running the 562 & looking back,..... It's hard to imagine that I ever cut as much wood as I did with the 345!!!

NYH1, Husky Man and Stephiedoll like this.