In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Hurricane Irma paid us a visit

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by James Dean, Sep 11, 2017.

1. James Dean

James Dean

We are all safe but we did have a tree break off and come down. It had weakened to a tropical storm by the time it made it up our way in Athens. These winds though my God, I feel for anyone who had to experience the amount of wind that Irma delivered even just a day ago. I hope everyone is safe and sound. [​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Casper, J. Dirt, Loon and 11 others like this.
  2. GrJfer

GrJfer

Glad you are safe. Looks like some BTU's for you.

3. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Good pickings, glad you are safe as our all our members in the area.

9/11 God bless the USA and all who are suffering from recent storms.:usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa:

4. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Yep, glad that branch was the worst of it for y'all!:yes:

5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Good news Mr Dean! You mentioned the wind but how about the rain? Did you get much of that?

Casper, J. Dirt and Eric VW like this.
  6. Casper

Casper

Glad to hear you faired well. My brother and his wife live in Washington, GA. My SIL had to drive (she chose to) to get some carb cleaner for his generator Monday night up in Athens. As of this morning they are still out of power but have the genny to power the essentials. He had a tons of small branches and twigs to clean up but nothing too big.

Ike in '08 was no slouch all the way up here in NE Ohio. We were out of power for 3-4 days. Areas in the Cincinnati and Columbus area were without power much longer. We had a few trees down in the woods. There were trees across roads in our area. Some roof damage to some homes. If I remember right, there were hurricane force winds recorded at our county airport.

Ike delayed a couple of my speaking engagements I had in the Houston area as well. Lyondell-Equistar, rescheduled the following month and NASA Johnson Space Center rescheduled for the following year. Ike made landfall in the Galveston area as a cat 2, but man, did he pack a punch! Even up here, 1000 miles away.

HDRock and Eric VW like this.
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I'm amazed at the path of that thing. The forecasters really missed it there. It was supposed to go up to Tennessee then head east. Instead, it did a counter-clockwise movement and is not down at the Gulf in eastern Texas. However, this morning I see another low built up just east of what was left of it and that too is forecast to move east. However, it is still moving almost straight north which means MI might even get some rain from it but there is not a lot there.

Casper likes this.