In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

How far will you travel for firewood?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Wise8706, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Wise8706

Wise8706

I've noticed some of you guys travel anywhere between 40-60 minutes to get a small pickup load and an 6ft trailer full of firewood. I have always been lucky to be able to walk out to the shed, grab a saw and go to cutting half mile to 3/4 mile away. If I was gonna drive an hour to make it worth my while, I think I would have to bring atleast a 16' trailer.

What is ur limit on how far u will go to get a load of wood.
    And how much wood does it have to be?

Just making conversation here guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth

Normally a tree guy texts me and then drops off a load for free at my house so I don't travel at all. I also own a landscaping company so occasionally I have a tree to remove or large limbs to clean up. I definitely don't go far though. Im very fortunate

3. dusky

dusky

Same here. I have found it very easy to get firewood close to my house. Seven times the load of wood has come from a block or so away from me. Even though I live in the suburbs of Pittsburgh our steep terrain makes for lots of wooded areas. The tree service is my gravy train now... making me lazy. Why drive out to get wood when it can just magically arrive dumped in a heap on the driveway? My previous honey hole was five miles away.

4. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

Same here. Tree guys have been good to me for a long time.

5. Hickorynut

Hickorynut

I seem to do pretty good just keeping my eye open just driving around the county and back and forth to town. So within about 20 minutes one way. My cousin had his woods logged and there are tons of tops but it is about 45 minutes away and some off road driving and with my old S10 pickup that takes 4 loads for a cord I just haven't jumped on it yet.

6. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

There are no trees to speak of where I live. So I will go to the mountains every year for beetle kill pine. That is a 100 mile trip one way. I will try and get at least a little more than half a cord. I would get more but frankly I tire out and call it quits at a little more than half a cord. I am still working on some ways to get more wood in a single trip because of the distance. But I do like going to the mountains no one else there just you and the trees. It is still cheaper by a long shot than propane.

7. HDRock

HDRock

I'm only able to haul about a half of a full cord at a time so 20-25 mile is about it

8. fezdawg12

fezdawg12

Trees at a premium here in NE Nev. I will go as far as 2 hours away but always come back with 1 3/4 cord.

9. LongShot

LongShot

I'll drive up to 40 miles round trip for a little over a half cord of ponderosa pine and douglas fir, all down trees from a fire 5 years ago on a national forest. I've done 5 trips so far this spring and early summer, none in July 'cause it's just too hot. I'll start taking some juniper and pinion pine off my land this fall. :saw::tree::stacke:

10. Sean

Sean

Kootenays, South Eastern BC Rockies Canada
    3/4 of my firewood over the last 4 years has been located within 10 minutes of my house but I also enjoy getting out and enjoying the back country even if it doesnt make sense from a gas and time perspective.

11. Nitrodave

Nitrodave

I've hauled almost 200 miles before....but that is from my northern house to my work week house where I burn for heat.

12. redneckdan

redneckdan

Fortunately, most of my wood is walking distance to 5 minute drive away. I'm hearing rumors an ash grove about 45 minutes north of me took a beating in this last storm. I need to run up there and check it out.

13. red oak

red oak

Most I've ever driven is about 45 minutes and that was a friend who had some dead trees he wanted taken down, could drive right up and cut and load. Usually though, about 15-20 minutes as I am close to National Forest land where I cut. Since I cut and load my own I will drive a little further for stuff that's easy to get.

14. bassJAM

bassJAM

I've driven up to 20 minutes away with a trailer, but that was for a friend who wanted help cutting the main trunk to make a flower bed out of and I took the rest of the tree. I would have done it regardless, but being an oak kind of sweetened the deal.

I've picked up wood 45 minutes from my house, but that was just loading wood in my truck on the way home from work so it really didn't cost much in the way of time or fuel. That was my first year burning so I was a little more desperate for wood too.

And I've picked up several trailer loads wood from a little old lady who lives 1/2 mile from me. She's one of my good buddy's grandmas, and he asked for help cutting up large silver maples that fell in her yard on 2 occasions and offered me the wood in return, plus they helped me load and unload the wood. I would have helped even if I didn't get any wood, she had given me several side jobs around her house when I was out of work for a summer.

The rest has all come from my and my next door neighbors property due to EAB killing all or our ash trees. Eventually all the ash will either be burned or rotten and I'll have to start scrounging for wood, I'm guessing a 15-20 minute drive would be my limit then.

15. creek chub

creek chub

25 minute drive to the family farm for me. I also keep an eye out in my neighborhood for homeowners who cut down trees

16. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

I've got 77 acres I can cut on in my back yard, and 14 of it is all mine. :) The neighbors ask me for help with their trees too occasionally. I think the only time I've gone farther than 1/2 mile was a few years ago when I scored a Saturn load of black locust on my way home from work.

17. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh

I'll go 20 minutes or so with my 5 by 8 trailer. If I have to go further I'll borrow my dad's 5 by 16 to make it worth the trip.

Backwoods Savage and HDRock like this.
  18. scavenger

scavenger

why not just have this dropped in the driveway: 0726161351.jpg

19. Erik B

Erik B

The majority of my wood comes from my own woods so no travel is required. I have been known to drive up to 15 miles to pick up wood from a friend living in town and he just wants it gone. 6X10 trailer makes the job easy.

20. UncleJoe

UncleJoe

I am the tree guy so I bring it home with me. :)

P1020092.JPG P1020112.JPG