In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Home defense shotgun suggestions

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by lukem, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

I've got a Mossburg about like that Stihl one. Quick and easy to handle... it's loaded up with Double OO Buck shot. Just remember more than likely, you being in the heat of the moment you won't feel it or hear it. But it's a pattern of multiple impacts and not just a single bullet that does the work...

Bert, saskwoodburner and basod like this.
  2. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh

The judge is a gimmick gun. I'd take a .22 over it.

3. basod

basod

"you" personally may but put a .22 in the hands of a shaky female in a HD scenario I'll let her cover up 3-4ft with one shot and risk the collateral damage to walls/doors without over penetration;)

Bert, bocefus78 and Chvymn99 like this.
  4. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

Shakey female? I've gone out (garage)legitimately thinking there was a threat armed and I was shaking from adrenaline, it knows no gender.

Training and familiarity is key.

Telling someone who shoots several hundred pistol rounds a week but has never used a shotgun shouldn't be reaching for a shotgun......I know guys who spent time in the desert which I was lucky enough to intro them to shotguns.

Get the person in question to the range first with a smorgasbord and see what they are good at or like to shoot.
    Then go shopping.

Bert, Chvymn99 and basod like this.
  5. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh

Once again leave the gun counter sales guy and marketing BS aside and do some research. Look at the ballistic gel tests. The gun is a gimmick. It's also heavy as all hell. Not great for a woman. The gun is huge. It's a joke.

Oh and covering a 3 to 4 foot area inside the home isn't really ideal. Especially if you have kids or other people in the house. What if you need accuracy? Nope. Not happening with the judge. Once again it's a gimmick gun.

6. basod

basod

It's not gun counter sales guys telling me every woman that has shot the Ultra-lite SS version isn't heavy. I don't think many women worry about ballistic gel tests aim for the junk and they wont be able to use it - if you think killing anyone you shoot is the only solution most women just want piece of mind that they can incapacitate an intruder and seek help/run away

Bert and Chvymn99 like this.
  7. Star Gazer

Star Gazer

lukem have your friend pick up a Mossberg 500a! Seriously, for home defense you'd be hard pressed to get better bang for the buck. That is what I use! But I also use it on occasion to kill deer at 50+ yards or smaller vermin at 10 yards. I only have the 20" barrel with no rear sight. It does have the extended mag, but I rarely put more than three shells in at a time which includes the one in the tube.

This particular firearm is known as a belly button gun. In other words, it shoots high. To get a heart shot, you will need to aim for the belly button for anything over something like 20 yards.

I prefer the Federal 00 Buckshot with the flight control wad. It keeps things tight. Not like the Fiocchi 12LE00BK! At 5 yards expect a 4 inch spread, and at 10 yards about an 8 inch spread. Any further and I assure you, you won't hit your target, not even graze it. The Federal w/flight control will spread maybe 5 inches at about 50 yards, at least that has been my experience.

As a defensive only round, the Fiocchi LE00BK will work and offers low recoil. But personally, I don't care for the round. I want accuracy as well as decent penetration and to me that one offers neither. I want one shot to take the intruder down permanently. However, if I need to take a second shot, I keep a 3 inch heavy magnum 00 buck as second in line.

Another thing to keep in mind. Keep a shell in the tube, safety on. This way your not giving away your position "racking a round." It's just a soft click to release the safety.

I also keep my little revolver handy as a just in case. It's loaded with either 44mag Black Talons or Platinum's (250 grain). They're basically the same bullet with one being black and the other being platinum. These are nasty! My little revolver is a Ruger Super Redhawk with the 9.5" barrel aka FireFly (my pet name for it) Then of course I have the AK's little sister which takes a 7.62 x 39 round loaded with hollow points. The stock clip holds 10 rounds, but I do have several 30 round clips to go with.

And to keep things simple, I also have security cameras all over the place so if I ever need to take out an intruder, it's on video. That would include the break in and whatever else.

See, I might be old, but certainly not defenseless and I am proficient with my firearms.

By the way, most shots taken in the home with an intruder is generally 7 yards, or less.

Chvymn99, Bert, fortydegnorth and 2 others like this.
  8. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh

Want peace of mind? Get a glock 17 or 19 and call it a day.

9. basod

basod

I missed this post - and it proves full well why the HD scenario no matter how macho you think you are, how confident in your skills the situation will never match your mindset.
    My lady knows how to shoot the guns at her disposal but getting her into target shooting is a bit of stretch - which is why laughing off a judge vs .22 is tough guy gun talk

Bert and Chvymn99 like this.
  10. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Star Gazer I have same 12 gauge moss.. yes my wife has shot it.. my wife is not proficient with fire arms... but 10 minutes with bird shot she felt comfortable.. we had a bobcat attack a yearling deer.. at noon on 4the of july within 30 feet of my daughter.. wife learned right then and there... I also have shot many rounds thru an AR 15 in my housearch with my girls I trust 12 gauge more.. in fact my daughter is now left alone.. for half hour to 45 minutes by her self.. my drive is a quarter mile.. I see them coming... I took an old door and had daughter shoot it with me with her to see what would happen.... she knows where gun is... to lock door (all glass anyway) and call me.. if intruder touchs door pull trigger

since I have tested on interior walls.. I personally like turkey loads.. more than enough to knock down intruder!

milleo, Bert and mdavlee like this.
  11. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh

Once again do some research. If it's tough guy gun talk I'd be talking up the fearsome judge. The fact is you won't see any legitimate sources or trainers recommend the judge as a defensive firearm. The judge is mocked in the firearms community.

Here's a very objective look at the judge.

The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - The Box O' Truth

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  12. basod

basod

carry the torch:singingintherain:

13. Sideshow

Sideshow

12 gauge with whatever load (#4 or #6) you want should stop or incapacitate (or hit someone hard) at close range (that's just one shell) - we are talking about in a house 10'-15' max - you want home defense and spread in crisis - no head shot at gun range - 2am waking you up...fairly confident you will not be advancing after one or two #4 shot shells at close range... vs firing while someone is charging with 22 or 9 mm unless your military or PD trained...

14. bushpilot

bushpilot

If I were looking for a HD gun, this would likely be it.

15. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Lot's of scenarios to consider as these responses have illustrated. I guess it depends on Lukems friend to define the potential defense arena.
    I honestly think a nice semi- 20g. with a short LOP and barrel would be great, if broken in properly and used with a reliable load. But then again, it depends on the potential scenario. Comfort factor with the tool is paramount, and that's up to the Lady in question. I do not recommend a handgun, even a Judge. That's down the road.

Bert and Canadian border VT like this.
  16. bassJAM

bassJAM

My home defense shotgun is my 870 12 ga with a 20" smoothbore slug barrel on it and 0 buck in the tube. You'll want the shorter barrel for use in the home. As far as guns, Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 are 2 of the best, I have both and like both but the Mossberg does have a top safety which makes it ambidextrous. 12 ga vs 20 ga doesn't really matter, but the 20 ga will have less recoil.

If the guy's wife is recoil sensitive, I'd use 4 shot high brass over buckshot, which can kick as much as a slug. When you're talking about in-home distances, even bird shot is devastating at those ranges. Knockdown power doesn't mean a dammed thing if the person shooting is scared of the recoil.

Sideshow, basod, Bert and 1 other person like this.
  17. lukem

lukem

Thanks for all the replies. I have an 870 w/ 20" in 12G, I think my BIL has an 870 in 20G I can borrow for comparison.

On the topic of ammo, I accidentally picked up a box of #6 turkey load this spring instead of #4. I shot some pumpkins with it this fall at 15' and ho-lee-crap that stuff is nasty.

18. Highbeam

Highbeam

I never understood the folks who spent 5-6x as much for an AR as an 870 SG for home defense. It's a high powered, loud, rifle. But recently they even took away our police's patrol shotguns and gave them ARs. My swat buddies always had ARs for clearing houses.

I'm still a shotgun guy and it sits loaded, but not chambered, for me or the wife to use. We never use the safety on any guns. My handguns don't even have safeties!

Bert and saskwoodburner like this.
  19. Bert

Bert

basod likes this.
  20. bassJAM

bassJAM

A home defense shotgun from Mossberg runs around $350, and you can get a very nice AR for $700. But I do think a shotgun is a better home defense gun for the average person. I do understand there are benefits for someone like SWAT clearing a home using an AR though. One one scenario you're the defender and should only need 4-5 shots and probably won't be chasing anyone. In the other, you're the aggressor and you may be encountering several criminals in several rooms so having multiple magazines is a huge plus.

Highbeam, basod and Bert like this.