In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

High End Axes

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by firecracker_77, Nov 24, 2013.

1. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

I'm sure these are great, but who would ever need something like this. If you were really rich perhaps...but for the average person, this is overkill.

http://www.neemantools.com/en/products/axes

I've heard the Husqvarna axes are top value for under $65.

Here's a top quality one that's more in the range of the average person that wants handmade and is will to pay the premium. Not something I could justify.

http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/products/gransfors-splitting-axes/gransfors-large-splitting-axe/

Russell likes this.
  2. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

Pallet Pete likes this.
  3. fishingpol

fishingpol

For the average person, right, a little too much. They are secksy as all get out. There are people that appreciate fine craftsmanship and may be woodworkers or tool collectors. There are others that set up at re-enactment fairs, camps or historic sites that would not be seen with an off the shelf ax. These pieces are most likely not mass produced and when you figure in labor, materials, fuel for the forge, the price is pretty reasonable.

4. SolarandWood

SolarandWood

How does the Gränsfors compare to the Fiskars functionally? That thing is beautiful.

Pallet Pete likes this.
  5. thistle

thistle

And for those of us who are both woodworkers AND tool collectors the "pull" of which reason for purchase is a tough one to decide our rationalizations....:D

6. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

I would be worried about using these things. My swing is not that accurate. I end up overshooting and damaging the handle from time to time.

Mag Craft, jetjr and Hinerman like this.
  7. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

The thing about fiskars is that once the handle is gone, it's in the garbage....but a lot cheaper to start with.

8. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

Here's a video that got me thinking about this subject in the first place. I always have enjoyed his videos.

Russell and Pallet Pete like this.
  9. thistle

thistle

But Fiskars has a lifetime guarantee,if the handle breaks they give you a new ax or hatchet.

Russell, XXL, DutchFire and 2 others like this.
  10. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

I didn't think of that. In that case, I guess it makes no difference unless the higher end ones split easier.

11. Hinerman

Hinerman

I have the Fiskars X27 and GB splitting maul (not the splitting axe). For feel and balance, the GB wins; and, you can pound wedges with it. I prefer to swing the GB for the feel and balance on easy to split wood. HOWEVER, when the wood gets a little harder to split I prefer the Fiskars because the GB maul tends to get stuck in the wood much more than the Fiskars. Ironically, I think the Fiskars and GB maul split about equally. The Fiskars is longer and lighter; therfore, the speed of the axe head is greater, which allows for it to split as well as the shorter and heavier GB maul. Another thing I like better about the Fiskars is the way the axe head is attached to the handle. I have to consistently tap the GB maul head on the pole; for some reason the head slides down the handle. It appears the metal wedge is going to come out. I just turn it over and tap it a few times on a log or something. I am not sure why I have to do this all the time; maybe this is normal but you don't have to worry about it with the Fiskars.

Knothead, mdavlee and SolarandWood like this.
  12. Hinerman

Hinerman

FWIW, unless you want to swing a lot more weight, you will be hard pressed to find something that splits better than a Fiskars. High end axes are nice,,,very nice,,,extremely nice. I would like to have a few myself. I have a couple "almost high end" splitting mauls (Gransfors and Oschenkopf). Who knows, I may ask for one for X-mas? Got the GB maul for X-mas last year :). My wife got made fun of at work when she told her colleagues what she was getting me for X-mas.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  13. trooper

trooper

I would be worried that, if I came home with a $500 axe, it would be used on me :)

14. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

My wife wouldn't kill me, but she wouldn't know how much I spent. She keeps her own bank acct and I have mine.

Russell, thistle, Kg461 and 1 other person like this.
  15. ironpony

ironpony

If I understood the video I watched correctly, on a high end tool like that if the head comes loose the handle was improperly fitted to begin with. Might want to look into it for warranty reasons.

walt likes this.
  16. ironpony

ironpony

the prices are not unreasonable for a hand made tool like that. I started with a 8 lb maul, used the big grinder on it and formed it to the shape I wanted. Removed about a pound or so from it, splits great now. Smooth polished faces and the shape I think works. Dolar for dollar though the Fiskars splits very well and if you break it they send you a new one.

Russell likes this.
  17. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

18. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

I think it would be cool to have a cabinet in your garage with these fine tools, but not something to spend that kind of money on. I bet they're selling enough to keep them going...like a $10,000 shotgun...not for everyone but profitable when you do find a buyer

19. thistle

thistle

I bought my froe from Snow & Nealley in Maine in the mid 80's.Less than $40 I believe.You can get really good ones for around $100 or a bit more now.Or scrounge yourself an old car or truck leaf spring,cut off a 2 foot piece,heat it,bend it,retemper it & shape a simple handle.Not that hard to do & the old high carbon spring steel is much better.

20. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

The one that I used was just that, a bent leaf spring.