In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Help Me Pick a Log Splitter

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by JRSDWS, May 6, 2014.

1. JRSDWS

JRSDWS

It's time to buy a log splitter. I'm not a big box store fan, but will admit it's hard to beat the prices and return policies. I prefer to patronize the mom and pop shops as much as possible.

That being said, one of the splitters I've found in my research is available at the same price at the little guy as it is at big box. This is the Ariens splitters with Subaru engines. I really like the physical placement of the engine and how they've kept the work/splitting area clear for the operator.

I'm undecided between the 22 ton or the 27 ton models. Without a doubt, the 22 ton has the capacity to handle my chores. Where the vision becomes cloudy for me is in the quality and robustness of the build.

The 22T has a new design 4.5hp vertical shaft Subaru engine. It is listed as being a consumer model and I've ready that the wedge can't be removed for replacement or sharpening. I'm not sure that's accurate, though.

The 27T has a 6hp horizontal shaft Subaru that has been around longer. It is listed as a professional model and the wedge can be removed, etc. It comes with wheel fenders, also. The build looks much heavier overall.

http://www.ariens.com/en-us/chore-products/log-splitter
    http://www.logsplittersdirect.com/compare.php

Both engines have a 3 year warranty. Should horizontal shaft vs vertical be part of the decision? Newer versus older and proven?

There is a $400 price difference between the two models. Is there $400 dollars worth of differences?

Your thoughts appreciated gang.

Stinny likes this.
  2. Birddogtg

Birddogtg

I don't know what your budget is but I would highly recommend looking at a super splitter, The one I have is made right here in Knox county , Ohio. They are super fast and easy on the back.

3. Fanatical1

Fanatical1

I think your off to a good start in closely reviewing the layout and individual components of any splitter.
    There's only a few components that make up a splitter, so look closely at those, read reviews and that will
    help you decide. I would also look closely at the layout. Where will you be standing, is the hitch, engine or tires in
    your way, when the splits drop do they land on the gas tank etc...? Try standing next one and see what you like or
    don't like of the layout.

I think your correct that either a 22 ton or 27 ton would work for you, and it does appear you get a more heavy
    duty frame on the 27 ton. I also think the horizontal shaft engines are an engine that will last longer. Fenders
    don't matter in my book.

Stinny likes this.
  4. JRSDWS

JRSDWS

The $1600 for the 27T Ariens is max for me. Obviously, I'd like to spend less, but have learned over the years not to sacrifice quality for dollars.....or at least to find that delicate balance.

Stinny likes this.
  5. Birddogtg

Birddogtg

Super splitter would be out of budget

6. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

I was recently discussing splitters with another member and this popped up.

http://www.woodsplitterdirect.com/dirty-hand-tools-28-ton-hv-log-splitter/

That's the most machine for the money I've seen yet. Downside is that it's unlikely your local shops have one that you can see before you buy.

Vertical shaft engines are not the kiss of death, and Subaru has been putting out great engines for years now. That said, the horizontal shaft motor you mention is a fabulous engine that will most likely last longer than a vert. shaft engine.

jetjr and Stinny like this.
  7. Stinny

Stinny

Have you rented different machines before? If not, that's a pretty good way to see what you want.

jetjr likes this.
  8. JRSDWS

JRSDWS

Yeah...They have different DHT splitters in the box stores here, but not that one. How do you feel about the Kohler engine?
    That's a nice sight with good prices. They have a 16T Ram Splitter with the Subaru for a good price......too many choices.
    I haven't rented any and have only run homemade splitters of various design. I like the ones that keep the load/unload/splitting area open....easy to get to...not straddling an axle....no hydraulics or motor in the way, etc..

Stinny and jetjr like this.
  9. lukem

lukem

I wouldn't be afraid of a vertical shaft engine. There are a lot of mowers with a lot of hours out there...most have a vertical shaft engine. You aren't going to put near the hours on a splitter as a mower gets (I hope not anyway!).

Another thing to consider is the beam/wedge design and location. I like wedge on ram setups the best, but that's just personal preference. I really like the cradle beam on mine too. Think about the ability to add some "wing" for a table in the future (if not already included) if you see yourself doing horizontal splitting...and how that might impact layout/positioning.

Stinny likes this.
  10. MasterMech

The small Kohler engines like that one were actually Yamaha designs and that one looks to be as well. Good runners, parts are not as widely available as something with a Briggs or Honda engine but most competent small engine shops should be able to get what you need via special order in a few days, if not sooner.

If you like the layout of a machine, then look for the quickest cycle time available. Very good indicator of the real hydraulic horsepower of the whole unit. Lots of splitters (especially box-store units) running big cylinders and small pumps. Makes for good marketing ($1600, 35 ton! etc.) but slow splitting.

jetjr likes this.
  11. MasterMech

I was pretty annoyed when Exmark, Deere, and other commercial ZTR manufacturers abandoned their horizontal shaft engines in favor of vertical shaft engines and completely unitized drive systems. Big bucks to fix that setup. The vertical shaft engines also tended to plug the cylinder fins easier and running one with a bagger and a non-Donaldson style air cleaner is a good way to kill an engine in under 200 hrs. :confused: I sure am glad Kawasaki got their top bearing oiling issues worked out tho. :zip:

That said, you're right on about the fact that a splitter will see neither the time nor extreme operating conditions that a commercial mower will. I have a few Kawasaki FC540 engines that run just like the day they were originally brought home and they are about 25 years old now. :)

12. lukem

lukem

My splitter may see 20 hours a year, if that. The Kawi FX850V (vertical shaft) on the mower gets about 100 mowing just my yard.

13. JRSDWS

JRSDWS

Very valid point concerning run time. I still really like the layout of the Ariens splitters. I like that I can buy it at a local small engine shop who I know and trust. Can anyone offer their opinion of the two and likes/dislikes at least on paper?

Stinny likes this.
  14. Stinny

Stinny

"I like that I can buy it at a local small engine shop who I know and trust.".. that's more of how I usually make choices on machines if I can. I've always thought it was far more important than a one time savings on a purchase too.

Chvymn99, jetjr and Gasifier like this.
  15. Gasifier

Gasifier

+1 Although I don't agree with this crazy old coot much :whistle:(Wait. Did I just say that out loud. Or was I just thinking that?[​IMG] D'oh!

Anywho, I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night! :thumbs: And I just ordered my new splitter from a local shop as well. Having them there to back it up is important to me. I spent more money on a more expensive splitter because I may be splitting some extra wood and selling a little on the side to help pay the taxes on the property or pay for some wood pellets for the camp. Either way, I wanted it to last me for a very, very long time.

Chvymn99, jetjr and Stinny like this.
  16. Stinny

Stinny

Very cool Gas. You will not care how much you spent in a few months anyway. But, you will care that the local shop now has an interest in you as a return customer and prolly will treat you that way with any (unlikely) repairs you might need… :yes:

jetjr and Gasifier like this.
  17. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Sounds like you like the Ariens.
    Give us a review after you split a few cords.
    IMO, hydraulics is better than a maul &
    vertical is better than horizontal :D

Stinny and Chvymn99 like this.
  18. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

That Areins is a good machine for the money. And the upgrade to 27t seems to be a wise one.

The one mistake I made, is I just bought a splitter because I wanted one. Mine works, but it lacks several features that I wish I would have researched. Nothing wrong with the 21 ton MTD Gold, but I wish I had gotten more machine for the money I paid.

Having the people here, greatly increases your chance of having a happy and successful purchase.

Congrats and once this splitter is at home, you know we need a full spread of pics? Both in action and when it's brandy new :)

Stinny, Chvymn99 and jetjr like this.
  19. JRSDWS

JRSDWS

Thanks all. I stopped at the local Mom and Pop shop and they actually sell the Gravely branded units. It is the same as the Ariens except red paint vs orange and they come with a work table installed instead of purchasing one separately. He has only sold the 27t and34t models and felt like they were more appropriate units than the 22t. As a small engine repair shop, he expressed concerns about the vertical shaft engine in the 22t. So the 27t is on the way. Apparently they've been kind of slow to arrive as of late though.

Stinny, jetjr and Gasifier like this.
  20. the GOAT

the GOAT Banned

Congrats.

Looking at the pics only, it looks like the hydraulic filter might be at risk of falling logs? Interesting setup with the hydraulic tank perpendicular to the axle, should help the balance.