In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Hawken Energy - BEWARE!

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by Sawdog, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Sawdog

Sawdog

I generally dont get in the habit of doing this, but I don't want anyone else to go through what I have been put through. So, here goes.

To make a very long story shorter, I bought a Hawken furnace 4 years ago. Since day 1 I've had nothing but issues including, but not limited to:

Incorrect parts being sent necessary for install (was told to "make it work")
    Hot water temp is NOWWHERE close to advertised temps - "sorry that's what it is"
    Furnace continues to reach high limits ahutting the furnace down completely until system is cool enough to reset. Happens dozens of times in a heating year.
    Hawken has lost 2 sets of pictures that I have sent trying to resolve the issue
    They refuse to send me any indication of my warranty.
    I'm required through their warranty system to send annual water samples - they now have lost 2 of them and have recorded INCORRECT sample reports indicating failed samples. I would bet the house it's on purpose so they can say I voided my warranty.
    And get this - i have called Hawken a minimum of 150 times in the past 2 weeks while never reaching a sole. I have left voice messages and sent emails. All calls go to voice mail and none of them have been returned.

If your in the market for a new furnace, I would NEVER choose Hawken Energy. Horrible customer service. All this after spending in excess of $12,000 with them.

2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Can't like that, Sawdog, and sorry that you've had to endure the mess.
    If I were ever in the market for an OWB, I would certainly keep your post in mind.

3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Good on you for putting the word out on these guys. Seems to me I've read similar reports on other sites...
    Maybe file a BBB report on 'em?

4. Sawdog

Sawdog

Great idea!

5. chris

chris

If you have everything documented- court 12gs is no small outlay

6. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Sorry to hear sawdog, Hope you get somewhere after filing with the BBS.

Hopefully some read this post and have second thoughts on their purchase's.

7. Sawdog

Sawdog

BBB complaint has been filed. I am fanatical about keeping my documentation so if it gets to lawsuit, I'm 100% confident about my position.

After doing my daily calls to Hawken (4 calls in the morning and 4 calls at night, along with my daily email to the customer service VP) I finally got someone to answer the phone yesterday. After getting a very big earful about what I've gone through, the guy completly agreed with me and told me my experience was unacceptable. But, he's just the tech guy so nothing will be done about it. Get this, the tech guy said I should have had my system replaced years ago when this first started. I just laughed. When I told him i even offered to pay to have someone from Hawken come out and fix it (and was told "no, we don't do that") he was completely shocked. "I just don't know what to say" was all that he could muster.

Now today, someone replied to a post I made on their Facebook account (which they won't actually put on tier Facebook page...imagine that). The person said oh, we're sorry, mistakes happen, send us your satisfactory water sample and we will record in on our end. BS! I have zero confidence in their ability to do anything, never mind record anything related to my warrenty. this has to be a scam, my experience cannot be the only one.

This company is so bad, they can't fix their own product, they refuse to answer the phone or return emails and the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing. DO NOT spend your money here...your better off going to the bank, getting 1200 $100 bills, crumpling them up and throwing them out the window of your car while going down the highway. Pitiful

8. yooperdave

yooperdave

After googling it and reading a few reviews, I can honestly say that if I was considering a Hawken, I wouldn't be any longer.

I am very satisfied with my Central and I thought that the comparison chart they showed (Hawken vs. Central) was not accurate at all.

Good luck with your pursuit of satisfaction with them.....

9. Sawdog

Sawdog

Yet another day with nothing from Hawken.

Woodsnwoods likes this.
  10. Firebroad

Firebroad

I would be calling the Attorney General's office about filing a complaint. That sort of treatment is intolerable.

Woodsnwoods and brenndatomu like this.
  11. Sawdog

Sawdog

It's one of the next steps. They've been told that I'm not going away. In due time, they will find out that im not kidding

12. HighCountry

HighCountry

Sorry to read all of this crap you are going through, but glad to see that you won't take this lying down. Go get 'em!! :usa:

13. Sawdog

Sawdog

LOL. Just learned today that Hawken Energy is out of business. Hate to see a guys work fail like that, but they failed miserably at customer service and really didn't belong in the industry or taking people's money.

Glad that's over. Time to move on.

14. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Yup. Filed for bankruptcy in August. Best of luck getting your system to work or getting a reasonable replacement. Might want to find out who is handling the bankruptcy proceedings just in case you can recoup some of your losses in some sort of liquidation. Perhaps you could work directly with one of their technicians to resolve your issues.

BBB Business Profile | Hawken Energy, Inc.

15. Sawdog

Sawdog

how would I recoup my losses? And one of their technicians? They only had one, he was 80 years old. He's no longer employed with the company. Doors are closed, phones are off. Im not get ahold of anyone and no one is going to resolve my issues. Besides, I've been working for 2 years to resolve my issues. There isn't a damm thing there going to do now.

They filed for bankruptcy on 8/11 - that's BEFORE I spoke with the VP who lied to me when he said he would resolve my issues. He knew he wasn't going to resolve anything.

So much for buying the best warrenty in the business.

Woodsnwoods likes this.
  16. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Sorry for trying to help....

Woodsnwoods likes this.
  17. Sawdog

Sawdog

Just asking questions in an attempt to gain understand.

Woodsnwoods likes this.
  18. mike holton

mike holton

just a thought after reading this, I don't build OWB's so I haven't looked in here too much. that said, the bankruptcy should be a matter of public record, if you can find who was the firm managing it maybe you can find an inroad through them. just an idle thought I really don't know much about bankruptcies.

Woodsnwoods and stuckinthemuck like this.
  19. bushpilot

bushpilot

You have a claim against the company that maybe can be considered in the bankruptcy court. It may be worth contacting a lawyer.

20. yooperdave

yooperdave

And that is a good thing brother!

Felter, mike holton and Woodsnwoods like this.