In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

hanging sheet metal on ceiling

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Komatsu360, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Komatsu360

Komatsu360

Im just about finished up replacing my drywall with tongue and groove. Thinking ahead to the ceiling, we are going to buy galvanized sheet metal and "age" it to look old. It is going to hang parallel to the rafters so ill need to install some sort of perlin i guess you would call it. My question is what size do those perlins need to be? 1x4? 2x4? 1x3?

wildwest likes this.
  2. Komatsu360

Komatsu360

3. Highbeam

Highbeam

What's the spacing on the rafters? 1x3 or 1x4 is fine if you're under 24" and not supporting insulation loads. 24" on center. They will go up FAST. I put white pole barn metal up inside my 30x60 shop using a sheetrock lift. Easy. I hit the bottoms of the rafters at 24" spacing and have loaded R-50 cellulose on top with no sags. Billions of screws and one trip to the eye doctor to have a little piece of metal pulled out from the screwing operation overhead.

bogieb and Thor like this.
  4. Garry Polmateer

Garry Polmateer

Have you thought about acoustics with that? I could imagine it making the room sound "tinny"

G

Thor likes this.
  5. Highbeam

Highbeam

I was worried about that in my shop. No echos at all. It works really well. Maybe the ribs matter?

Attached Files:

6. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

Maybe a spray on some Flex Seal (that liquid rubberized coating) on the back side. I'll bet that would eliminate any potential for "tinny" sound in the room.

7. Highbeam

Highbeam

I suppose rather than undercoating, I do have stuff on the back of my metal. Behind the metal is a layer of 6 mil poly sheet and then 15" of cellulose insulation. You get no rattle or tink sound when you tap the metal. Just a dead thud.

bogieb and VOLKEVIN like this.