In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Guess who just ordered a new pellet grill, PG100

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Highbeam, May 24, 2017.

1. Highbeam

Highbeam

Me. That's who!

Blemished from amfm energy. Current price is 799$ with free shipping if anybody else is interested. I've been wanting one for years and my gas grill has rusted out to the point that the burners are falling off.

This grill costs the same as the new traegers at Costco and I believe the grill will be more versatile. I hope to use this as both my grill and my smoker. No more LPG!

2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

I would like to see, as many members here might too, a.....pic!:thumbs:
    :ithappened:

3. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

is highbeam still with us???

4. Highbeam

Highbeam

Of course! Picked it up today and am still recovering from bacon cheeseburgers and maybe some whiskey. Pics to follow.

5. Highbeam

Highbeam

Some pics.

It only weighed 350# on the pallet so like with the woodstoves I just slid the whole pallet out of my F350 down the ramps. No sweat. Pickup at the freight terminal just means you pick it up where they fork lift it into your truck instead of liftgate delivery to your home. The shipping company has a terminal that calls you when it arrives. Choose this option if you have a truck tor trailer that will accept fork lifted merchandise.

This was a blemish stove and the dent shown is the damage. No big deal and I did spend a little time to try and pound it back out to where it is almost unnoticeable. The savings for this blemish more than made up for the damage in my opinion. The stove ships with a can of paint and believe me you will need it. The dang thing had scratches, scrapes, and rubbed off paint all over it. Just about every panel had some paint added.

I started out with some frozen burgers and bacon just to splash some grease around on all the bare metal. Then I cooked some pizzas on a stone to see what she could do. 550 on the indirect side which means the upper grate was near 600 and the cast iron direct grate over the fire for steaks was near 800. I bought this grill largely because of the high heat grilling abilities and it makes a lot of heat. I also baked bread and cornbread this weekend. The baking is odd, it doesn't brown the top as much as a regular oven I think because it is acting like a convection oven with a decent air flow through the oven all the time. I easily cooked that cornbread on the top rack above the firepot while cooking those ribs at 290 (just the last hour).

I'm grilling everything in sight!

Feel like a pellet hoarder. Found these hickory bear mountain pellets for 11.95$ per 33# bag so I bought three bags. The pellet consumption is pretty slow unless you are cooking something at 550 for an hour like when I was heating the pizza stone.

Attached Files:

6. Highbeam

Highbeam

Some more

Attached Files:

7. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

that loaf of bread looks good,nice and brown?

Chvymn99 and NortheastAl like this.
  8. Highbeam

Highbeam

It turned out just the way we like it.

I cooked that loaf of bread on the zone 4 so the coolest part of the grill where the thermocouple that controls the temperature lives. I set the grill for 375 and it held 375 but instead of taking 25 minutes to get brown like in the oven it took just over 40 minutes. We make all of our own bread so this loaf needed to be "good" to eat this week in the kids' lunches. I wonder if maybe I needed to bump up the temp or use the top rack where temps are supposed to be 50 degrees hotter than setpoint.

9. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

or you could get a package of refrigerated biscuit dough and put a few of them in different spots to get a handle on yer temp

10. Highbeam

Highbeam

That would tell me hot and cold spots but I'm thinking an oven thermometer would be more valuable for baking bread. Do the regular oven thermometers handle the convection oven like environment well?

11. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

yeah if temp is critical then your gonna have to use a thermo.....i dont bake any bread,cant see why a oven thermo wouldnt work