In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Grass Seeding suggestions? Birds? Straw?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by wildwest, May 8, 2017.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Well at the moment 250 ft to the back fence, then another 100 to the seeding area, OR, a portable pump to fill a tank and then use soaker hoses.............................

Eric VW likes this.
  2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Be careful with your thoughts about pressurizing a tank...:whistle::bug:
    :yes:

wildwest likes this.
  3. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Naw, not pressurize the tank, just the pumps.

Eric VW likes this.
  4. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

So what are you waiting for? Get out there and make WWW do it!:thumbs:

wildwest likes this.
  5. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:salute:

Stinny and Eric VW like this.
  6. yooperdave

yooperdave

I always used straw or hay for years.

Then, in the early 90's, I was shown after seeding, to use a garden rake to work the seed into the soil a bit. This works well around here and may even work out in the winds of Wyoming. It would be the same as dragging it after seeding as others have suggested, just being done manually.

wildwest, papadave and Stinny like this.
  7. papadave

papadave

My wife suggested we use a ground cover type plants(s) for the yard so I could drop mowing off my list of things to do. We have natural ground cover growing everywhere, so maybe I should just stop mowing and let nature take over.
    We live in/on sand, with some soil, and it seems like we sweep up a gallon of it every day. I still haven't figured out why the front walkway hasn't disappeared, since we bring so much in the house.
    I have yet to find the right grass mix that'll grow well here.
    I'll be :popcorn: while waiting to see how this plays out for you. Good luck.

wildwest and yooperdave like this.
  8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Hi guys, seeding going down this weekend. Seed starter arrived at post office yesterday, WWW picking it up today.

Just to be clear on what I gather here, correct me if I'm wrong please.

1 spread seed
    2 spread starter mix
    3 drag chain link fence over the 1 & 2

or drag chain link fence over seed only?

bocefus78 likes this.
  9. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thanks Dave, we have no business having a lawn out here without water but the mud/dirt that comes into the house from the dogs & lil one & WWW is um, :hair: Ground cover would work too, but already bought the native lake grass seed ( :picard: :makeitrain" ) the fall we did the new septic field. I'll be posting pics as this project progresses:)

AND drum roll-----------WWW nailed it as my Mother's Day Gift this year:dancer:

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    yooperdave and papadave like this.
  10. papadave

papadave

Yeah, we did ours just over a year ago, and I tried doing some grass last fall. It took, but barely, and doesn't seem to be what works here.
    The weeds/plants that don't belong where they are, are doing quite well. :rofl: :lol:

wildwest and yooperdave like this.
  11. bocefus78

bocefus78

That's the correct order. Add spread hay or straw as a last step if you decide to do it. It will definitely help hold moisture in and it seems that's a valuable commodity on the ww ranch.

Just make sure you are past the last frost or freeze date for your area before you actually put it in the dirt. Grass likes a minimum soil temp of 55. I like 60 myself.

TurboDiesel and wildwest like this.
  12. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thank you! :handshake:

bocefus78 likes this.
  13. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

sorry can't help WW... we have had 8 inches rain this month... sods 12 inches deep am mow grass 2x a week til end of july... plant grass ahh no.. just discharge mower to bare spots they fill in by themselves.. i try to stop,it from growing.. but good luck and happy mothers day to ya!

wildwest likes this.
  14. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thanks!! Except now I have sod envy :picard:

Canadian border VT likes this.
  15. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Well, we did the best we could today, wind picked up and we all have windburned eyes, cheeks and lips to a crisp, calling a day for now. Too windy for grass seed, but I got some ditch lilies and other plants in the augered holes WWW did with the bobcat. I also brought home a ton of compost from the dump. Would you believe $25 per ton?!?! Guess my duramax holds 1 ton when filled to the bed walls (oh, tool box back there too), just doesnt seem like that much once out on the ground LOL.

bocefus78 the chain link is genious!! He put a log on top and rolled it and wired it shut. Ground is far from perfect, but much better than since the new septic was put in. Far from perfect but the best we could do with the time rental on the bobcat we could afford.

Monday, another ton of compost, potting soil (me-houseplants), and 2 or 3 bales of North Park Hay. (Excellent stuff that sells for a premium), those seeds are welcome to seed here among my native lake grass:) ( Will C )

Attached Files:

bocefus78, milleo and Woodwidow like this.
  16. bocefus78

bocefus78

Awesome work! Looks like lil West is even helping. Btw That's a great price for compost. To get a ton here would be about 3 times that price!

wildwest likes this.
  17. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

:rofl: :lol:

army buddy, bought house 3 miles down road from me.. his yard is pure sand (a lot of pool sand.. he got 3 kids under 5 then..) his wife wanted grass for kids to play on 5 years ago went to rental place got sod cutter.. $75 a weekend behind tractor attachment.. mother's day we cut 6 inches deep a half acre off front field.. installed at his house ... he complains it's part of lawn that he has to mow 2x a week... I loved it cause I did not mow that section for a month..

so tell me what's native to you we can grow it in a week and figure out what it costs to get it to ya.. instant dirt holder downer.. the secret is the roots system.. my grass is never brown... 2 weeks without rain still green because the roots hold moisture that long. ... BUT.. its always damp too.. meaning you kneel on grass your knees hare wet

wildwest likes this.
  18. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:rofl: :lol: Forecast changed, up to a foot of snow by Friday and lows in the 20's.:rolleyes:

Canadian border VT likes this.
  19. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Christmas dress and barbie sunglasses are a MUST when digging in the dirt :rofl: :lol: The dump is a 40+ mile round trip, but it's near town and I need more potting soil anyway :)

20. don2222

don2222

Hay :)

Home Depot has it!

Attached Files:

wildwest likes this.