In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Got the urge

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Osage Orange, May 27, 2016.

1. Osage Orange

Osage Orange

to purchase a battery powered chainsaw. Anyone have a specific make and model that they have had good luck with?

wildwest likes this.
  2. dougand3

dougand3

My neighbor has the Kobalt 40v Li-Ion from Lowes. He likes it. But he only limbs 2" and smaller. And when battery power is low-it abruptly stops...no gradual degradation of power or speed.

clemsonfor and wildwest like this.
  3. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Go for it!

RCBS likes this.
  4. RCBS

RCBS

I am curious about the electric saws. I think they will be awesome. Batteries. Batteries are what needs to improve. If I could get an electric saw equal to a 4.5hp gasser that would match cuts 1 battery to 1 tank of fuel I think I'd be sold. They will come. I think the climbers are starting to embrace the small ones already. No more pull starting hanging in a tree, just squeeze the trigger.

clemsonfor, CTYank and Duane(Pa) like this.
  5. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh

I've got an electric Remington pole saw. Got it for free and it sat there for a year because I don't really have trimming to do, last week I helped a friend of mine with some trimming. I popped the saw off the pole and proceeded to cut the low stuff and cut to length everything else. Public works wants stuff less than 6 feet long or they will leave it. I never went back to the truck for my 036. The little saw was zipping thru the 2 to 4 inch limbs. Can use it with one hand. Sounds cheesy but I really enjoyed how easy it was to cut with that little light saw. The drawback was being tethered to an electric cord.

6. cgraham1

cgraham1

I would look hard at the 58v Echo. Thy are around $250, and seem to be pretty good quality.

bobdog2o02 and Osage Orange like this.
  7. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Corded electric saws are powerfull. But you have a cord that's always in the way plus you have to have a power source.

My in laws had a jack legged tree guy one time that used a corded electric saw when he climbed. His ground saw was a Poulan wild thing family saw. Needless to sag he smashed things up pretty good.

8. Will C

Will C

I think a rechargeable saw would be perfect for a homeowner that has trimming, light storm clean up, and that sort of jobs. No worries about fuel going bad, etc. I think it will be a long time before one would be an option for a woodcutter.

9. NewToStihl

NewToStihl

I can't speak for the quality or performance, but I noticed just the other day that DeWalt has a battery operated chainsaw now. I have a host of DeWalt battery powered tools and I've always been more than pleased with the power and battery life. Might be worth looking into.

clemsonfor and Osage Orange like this.
  10. Osage Orange

Osage Orange

Agree that battery saw not a good option for firewood - have already got that covered. Just thinking of getting one to carry around farm in utv or even tractor cab to cut sprouts in pasture or fence row. Would eliminate that gas smell in the cab.

CTYank, Will C and clemsonfor like this.
  11. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I think it would serve that purpose perfectly.

12. HDRock

HDRock

I have a Craftsman Electric runs on a 19 volt battery, running with a regular nicad or a regular lithium doesn't do very good, I have a couple of 4 amp hour batteries extra capacity, does much better with those batteries, I never get it out anymore though I have a little saws I can use.
    For your purpose Electric might work out good, I would go 40 volt at least

clemsonfor likes this.
  13. cwn877

cwn877

I have the ryobi 40v chainsaw works great just don't be in a hurry in the bigger stuff.

Barcroftb, clemsonfor, HDRock and 2 others like this.
  14. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Hey hey, you didn't bring that one out for the G2G.... We could have showed the boys a thing or two with that one.... :rofl: :lol:

HDRock, clemsonfor and Barcroftb like this.
  15. cwn877

cwn877

We could've. It's actually my mom's she gave me heck I cut all the wood for the campfire with it Thursday .

clemsonfor and MasterMech like this.
  16. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

New thing. Next GTG electric battery powered saw races. All yall are going to be building and hooking up battery packs in series and upping the voltage to cut faster. Getting custom 72v and 80v packs built!

17. MasterMech

A chainsaw powered by electrickery.... Hmmm.

I'm betting the bigger plug in units would run just fine off of 10 batteries in series too. ;)

18. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I think a 400 electric saw might run fine for a small period on 120 till you fry the motor. But yea sure there corded 120 volt electric units but 120 corded would be a different class :)

19. cwn877

cwn877

I could get a couple locomotive batteries in series should have enough power and run time to run awhile.

20. MasterMech

What if I was running that 120V saw on batteries? :p