In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Got my Kindling ready, what about you?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by FatBoy85, Oct 22, 2017.

1. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Always good for that. I even found these long sticks from a shed making business just down the street from my house. Realized they were edges from the 2x4’s they probably cut off to make it less seen. Same for the “stickers” that helps keep their lumber from sticking too much as a large stacked load. Inch and a half wide but only like 2 cm thick. Perfect tinder. This was my big issue burning last year just outside. Not much kindling and when I did get a fire going, it wasn’t without a bunch of paper involved. Everything was soaked shortly after I moved in, no more. Did my homework and looked around.

2. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Thank you very much Midwinter. I have hit 67. Still getting out in the woods and cutting but just a little slower.

3. Midwinter

Midwinter

Not out of the woods yet, eh? Like that's a bad thing!

gboutdoors, FatBoy85, Hammy and 3 others like this.
  4. Kimberly

Kimberly

I was thinking of going to Lowe's and buy some small furring wood; it is kiln dried so perfect for kindling. I would buy a bundle and then use the saw to cut the bundle to size like I have seen others do. However, not sure that would be economical. There are some woodworking shops in the area; maybe I should visit and see what sort of scraps they have; they may give them away for the asking.

gboutdoors, FatBoy85, Hammy and 3 others like this.
  5. Warner

Warner

I used to buy grain bags full of cuts from a mill. A couple weeks ago a carpenter buddy dropped a contractor bag full of cedar cuts from a log home he is working on it will be enough for the winter and the price was right.
    Once the temp drops I won't need any unless we go away for the weekend! There is usually some coals to make a fire in the morning and when we get home.

6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Keep at it and you might catch up to us old farts one of these days! Congratulations and hope you got a nice cake to enjoy.

gboutdoors, Hammy and Mag Craft like this.
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

We got some nice kindling that jdude brought to our GTG last spring. Works great and thank you again jdude!

gboutdoors, jdude and Hammy like this.
  8. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Yup - Once summer finally leaves, my stove usually has one fire that goes and goes.

9. Kimberly

Kimberly

Last year when I needed kindling in the morning I would go out and split up some of the poplar; bring it in, start the fire. I never could seem to make the kindling ahead of time.

gboutdoors, FatBoy85 and Hammy like this.
  10. Midwinter

Midwinter

I let the fire go out overnight unless it's really cold. Makes for easy ash removal in the morning. So I go through a lot of kindling, even if I have leftover hot coals.

11. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

My VC Dutchwest, has an ash tray. I'm able to empty ashes pretty much anytime I can. Usually every 3-4 days, during the middle of heating season.

Unlike you, where your stove is in the basement, we have our stove in our living room. This allows me to easily toss in a split or two, on the coldest of nights. Even without adding wood overnight, there's usually enough coals in the morning to easily get it back up to temps with couple of small splits, and a full draft.

gboutdoors and Hammy like this.
  12. Midwinter

Midwinter

I have an ash tray too, but it gets pretty full after 2 days. I empty it every morning. I don't like doing it if there's a fire going!
    I can get back to sleep after the cat bugs me for treats, but add feeding the stove to that, and I'd be awake for awhile.

13. oldspark

oldspark

I have an old barn that fell down so I am set for kindling until I get to the other side of the grass.

14. Grahamt

Grahamt

I just cut enough to last a few weeks as I'm short on storage. Just keep one big box in shed in case of emergencys

gboutdoors likes this.
  15. Marshel54

Marshel54

I have two 35 gallon garbage cans full of kindling stored inside. I hate spending money on kindling. I toss out some of the straight grained splits when I move my wood up for the seasons burn. I then run them through the splitter splitting as thin and small as I can. Works for me.

gboutdoors, Mag Craft and FatBoy85 like this.
  16. Grahamt

Grahamt

Funnily enough I posted these what I cut last night on a thread I posted . IMG_6769.JPG IMG_6777.JPG

17. jdude

jdude

If I make it up that way again, I'll bring ya some more !

18. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Always helps to ask! They may even plead with you to get rid of it as it helps keeps their garbage costs down! I paid a bit much for mine...but I’ll stay on the look out for more. Its all hardwood so I can’t say its POS.

gboutdoors likes this.
  19. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

20. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Yeah same here. Probably won’t make the same mistake again unless I find it for $5 a bundle and possibly bulk it if I can. Someone posted above, Locust Post I believe, big bags that look like dog food bags filled with the stuff. Good looking stuff...

gboutdoors likes this.