In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Getting a new truck, compare RAM EcoDiesel vs F150 Platnum??

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Machria, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Horkn

Horkn

I don't agree with that. Our 04 4.7 v8 4runner has 3.73 axle ratios and a 5 SPD auto and it gets a little over 22 mpg freeway. My wife has had other 4runners ( 95 and 98) and they were not any worse than comparable other brands SUVs.

Our friends last yota Highlander 3.5 v6 (2012 or 2013) got mid 20 mpg freeway ( 70 mph) towing his 17' starcraft I/O boat up to our cottage last summer. He leased a new one later this summer with the new dual injection and 8 spd, so I can assume it may get even better mpg.

raybonz likes this.
  2. boettg33

boettg33

This thread is really interesting to me. I've owned two trucks. A 1999 Dodge Dakota 4X2 - Extra cab with the 5.2L V8 5-spd. It was a great truck until my son came along and we couldn't fit the baby seat in the back. I still kept it for 5 years. In fact, I really regret letting that truck go. My best bet would have been to keep that truck even until today.

My second truck/CUV was the Honda Ridgeline. It severed it's purpose for me, but it was only a lease.

I've been wanting a truck for a while now. The problem for me has been that I didn't and still do not need one. What has changed is my ride to work. No longer am I traveling 154 miles round trip for work each day. My ride to the commuter station is 44miles round trip each day. A far cry lower. Which opens up the possibility of getting a truck in the near future. Again, I still don't need a truck. It would be very handy mind you.

Here are some of the things I'd find handy with a truck:
    • Ability to haul wood.
    • Ability to carry loads of compost, mulch and other things.
    • Carry canoes, kayaks, bikes, camping gear, etc.
    • Tow a travel trailer.
    • Pickup wood at the lumber yard for projects.

Today the lines between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton truck have become somewhat blurred. 1/2 tons can carry more and tow more with each new model year. Not only can they do that, but the majors are pushing for better milage while doing these things. All of this makes me wonder if I really would need a 3/4 to tow a proper travel trailer.

My preference right now:

• Ford. I really like the look of the Ford's. Ford has worked hard with the ECO Boost motor's to improve overall performance along with gas milage. They've also go to aluminum beds to help reduce overall weight for milage. Before you start in on the how bad the aluminum beds are, let me say I'd not buy any truck without either a RHINO liner or a mat. Plus Ford's have a long standing reputation.
    • Chevy - while not my first choice, I feel have a much better look. Chevy has not done much in modifying the motor's to improve milage. I do like the lower profile of the bed versus the Ford. I am a taller guy so this does not make much of a difference, but it's a nice to have.
    • Dodge - I've lost touch with them ever since they were first sold to Daimler and now to FIAT. The look of the Dodge is a classic in my book. The Hemi is a very nice option for them plus the option of the Cummings in the 3/4 ton.

All in all if I had to guess, I'd go test drive the Ford and the Chevy and pick between the two. Whether I would go with a 1/2 ton or a 3/4 ton would remain to be seen. 3/4 ton in the Ford opens up the Powerstroke. I am not interested in the Duramax on the Chevy side.

Jason from RI

Chvymn99, clemsonfor and Horkn like this.
  3. Horkn

Horkn

Ford will offer a diesel 3.0 in the f150 soon. It should have more HP and tq than the ram ecodiesel, and also the 10 spd.
    But yes, most people really only need a 1/2 ton.

4. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I know how it works and what it does. But visually looking at it and analyzing the physics and where the forces are exerted is hard.

Horkn and raybonz like this.
  5. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I guess it's cause I have the first year highlander. It has the Camry drivetrain. Which it probably is just underpowered? It is an 01 with the 3.0 v6 and beat it gets on the highway to work is 22mpg avg. If I tow a small 4x8 utility trailer even empty it goes down to about 19mpg.

The Sequoia we have averages about 13. Summer it's 12 to 13 and winter without the AC it's 14 to 15 mpg. This is an 04 with the 4.7 before the vvt was used in it. Beat it gets without AC in fall or winter would be like 17 and that's just on a highway no stops really going like 60 mph from gas station to gas station over like 50 to 70 miles

Horkn likes this.
  6. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

It's my Dads camper and he has the distribution hitch. But because it was only a few miles? I decided against using them. But I also thought it weighed a lot less. Hindsight is 20/20.

raybonz and papadave like this.
  7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

clemsonfor, Hammy and Horkn like this.
  8. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

hmmm...i had one here last year...

Hammy likes this.
  9. Horkn

Horkn

There's only 1 or 2 ways to have that happen. It doesn't appear you are in Michigan. Hmmm

Unless you're talking about something different.

Yeah, it does very well at what it was designed to do.

I still don't see a small diesel in a half ton as making sense for me though.

When properly equipped, a 5.0 crew cab 4x4 f150 gets 23 mpg freeway. F-150's have been well documented that they'll get better than advertised mpg. A 3.5 ecoboost gets even better MPG than the 5.0.

10. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

And anyone can fix 5.0 cheaper than that diesel;):whistle:

11. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

Sooooo true. My current, 2013 Silverado 1500HD is a great truck. i put a set of bags on it to level heavy trailer loads. class 2 rated.... Im a ford guy but this chevy sure is nice. Just wish it didnt have the cursed flickering radio lights.....

clemsonfor, brenndatomu and Hammy like this.
  12. Horkn

Horkn

True. The maintenance costs for ANY new diesel is stupid compared to a gas version.

But, they'll sell well. What's dumb is that most people that would use this 3.0 diesel are being excluded due to the fact that unless for fleet sales, the 3.0 diesel is not available in lower trim levels. It's not available unless you get the lariat or higher trim levels. Most people are buying XLT, and even XL models are selling well. I've personally seen this sales phenomenon over the last few months.

13. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

This is why i ditched the 24V 6spd manual for a gasser

14. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

hmmmm...yeah I'm not in michigan,maybe you are mistaken,or calling me a liar?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  15. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Explain? Had one what?

Horkn and Hammy like this.
  16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yeah it even said in that article that they only expect to sell 5% of the 150s with the PSD.
    It is cool n all, but I gotta agree, can't see spending the extra coin on one over the 5.0...

clemsonfor, Horkn and Hammy like this.
  17. lukem

lukem

The Ford 5 liter makes music under the hood.

18. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

the sound of a 5.0 is truly amazing

19. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yeah I would think that the 5.0 is the only one that has a chance of a decent sound to it...the rest probably sound about as mean as my 1500 Goldwing, which sounds a little like a plugged up vacuum cleaner :emb: :picard:

MasterMech, Chaz, clemsonfor and 2 others like this.
  20. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, please explain SKEETER McCLUSKEY
    Do you do work for the OEM's? Or aftermarket? They've been available only a couple of weeks.

clemsonfor and Hammy like this.