In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Getting a new truck, compare RAM EcoDiesel vs F150 Platnum??

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Machria, Aug 22, 2016.

1. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Has anyone tested a ecodiesel against a mid 90's 3/4 ton? The ecodiesel may outrun the older trucks because it has a higher max RPM.

2. concretegrazer

concretegrazer

Define outrun? Light loads I'm sure it will outdo them. Max I don't know. But more importantly for how long? Not that having an motor that will outlast the rest of the truck really matters.

3. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

1/4 mile with a trailer loaded on a stretch of hilly road going from point a to b. Maybe a load with 8-10k. The torque is similar on eco and older trucks but it makes it torque higher so I doubt it has the bottom end torque of an old diesel but to make up for it, it has a 8 speed auto where the old diesels had crappy 4 speed autos. Longevity I think would go to an old cummins or powerstroke.

4. Horkn

Horkn

The fusion sport gets a little better than that, per the window sticker. However, my mom's Edge gets better mpg than the sticker said too, just like nearly every car I've ever had. Ford didn't say that the first gen 2.7 6spd crew cab 4x4s would get 24 mpg or more, but they do.

So I take EPA mpg sticker numbers with a little more than a grain of salt. I can also get way worse than the window sticker shows pretty easily:whistle::thumbs:

It fits in the fusion. The 3.5 ecoboost is in the explorer sport, and that motor is physically bigger than the 2.7eb. All of the truck engines in the f150 were on display on stands at the auto show this spring. So you could see the differences.

MasterMech, brenndatomu and 94BULLITT like this.
  5. Horkn

Horkn

Because the first gen 2.7 eb is better than the first gen 3.5eb. Aside from the slightly higher hp number of the bigger EB, it just performs better than it's bigger brother.
    The 2.7 EB was really designed after they learned more from designing the first 3.5eb, which really was the existing 3.5 non boosted v6 that had been around a while. The 3.5 EB wasn't a purpose built two turbo motor until gen 2, which came out in 2017.

papadave and clemsonfor like this.
  6. Horkn

Horkn

You've seen the first gen 2.7EB 6spd f150 ( 2015 model iirc) vs the ram ecodiesel 8spd towing the exact same large trailer ( somewhere~7000lbs iirc) video, right? That was no contest.

94BULLITT likes this.
  7. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

The ecoboost has more power and RPM.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Horkn likes this.
  8. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

I can think of a towing test done on a forum with a 1st gen ecoboost towing as about good as a 6.7 psd Then a 6.2 superduty doing about as good as the 6.7.

Horkn likes this.
  9. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, but less tq, and gear ratios. Possibly less weight too.

It's funny but a former co-worker engineer friend of mine was saying that the lower weight of the aluminum f150s will make it less able/ safe to tow the same amount a comparable GM pickup. His logic was due to the "lighter" advertised weight of the aluminum truck vs a steel bodied truck. He didn't realize that the ~700lbs saved by going alloy ended up making the fords finally weigh about the same as the GM twins. So it really just leveled the playing field.

Once he was shown a comparison chart of real weights over the years, he was kind of shocked. Millenials....

brenndatomu and 94BULLITT like this.
  10. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Yeah, everyone thinks the new 150 is so light because it is aluminum.

Have you look at a Tundra? They are a nice looking truck but the frame is way be Ford. It is not boxed and every crewmember is riveted in were Ford's are welded. When you pick one up on the lift the gap at the top of the bed between the bed and cab grows. Some guys were taking them off-road, and the bed and cab would hit denting the cab.

clemsonfor and Horkn like this.
  11. Horkn

Horkn

I like the tundra. I just don't like the drivetrains. The 4.6 with the 6 speed may be ok. The 5.7 is a gas hog. I don't need a truck that can tow 10k.

I gotta say the aftermarket exhaust on my buddy's '15 3.5EB sounded great. Whatever brand it was.

12. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Toyotas have always drank fuel. Everything truck and SUV that they make

13. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

I have an adjustable class 3 weight distribution hitch with 2" ball here with the weight distribution bars and brackets that go on the trailer frame.. You can add an anti-sway bar but I didn't need it.. WAY to heavy to ship though and I don't use it anymore and used it little when I did use it.. Cost me over $350.00 IIRC without the weight distribution bars.. I would take $150.00 but shipping is not gonna happen..

Ray

Horkn and Chvymn99 like this.
  14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Hey DexterDay , check here...if you both have a Fastenal store nearby, and aren't in a huge hurry, they have reasonable shipping on stuff like this...
    3PL (Third Party Logistics) | Fastenal

Horkn, Chvymn99 and papadave like this.
  15. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

You can buy them at harbor freight for about 150 if dex wants one. They are handy. I use it on my k10 whenever I tow or when I tow the big trailer with the sequoia. Even towing like 4000 pounds with those it makes all the difference, handles so much better and don't squat near as much.

Horkn likes this.
  16. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

Whatever.. This is American made.. Reese I believe.. Would have to look..

17. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I'm not saying yours is junk and this is better just that they have them there. And if he wants one, clearly it's not economical to ship 70 pounds of trailer hitch.

And I am pretty sure it too is made in china unless you bought it like 30 years ago and maybe it was made here in USA then.

I seriously don't mean to offend you.

Here is the link (for those who may need one). It often is on sale for $199 and then if you use the 25% coupon it brings it down to $149.99.
    10000 lb. Capacity Weight-Distributing Hitch

Horkn likes this.
  18. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

No offense taken and I bought this a long time ago.. Haven't used it in 20 years.. I am open to a decent offer though.. Sure made a big difference when towing! Heck I'd probably settle on some really good beer with a bottle of Jameson's ;)

Horkn and concretegrazer like this.
  19. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

20 years ago could be American made still. Ones in recent years are chineese.

I do agree they are worth the price. Until you have towed with one you can't imagine the difference they make. It's a difficult concept to vision at least for me and I get how things work and go but you have to think about how it transfers the load...really makes you think how it does it when you get to trying to think about how it works.

Horkn likes this.
  20. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

It locks the 2 chassis together and distributes the weight.. You crank the bars\chains so the trailer and tow vehicle are level..

Horkn likes this.